Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brst mobile with GPS

Options
  • 27-06-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking at the new iphone for GPS, I dont need a camera on the phone, just GPS as I travel alot in my work, and I keep getting lost.

ta

m

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

NiSmO wrote: »

to use GPS on the phone....do you have to pay to use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Anything "over the air/OTA" will cost money as its being sent over the network
    You need something with preloaded maps so as not to cost money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I_Phone hmmm not if you want your sanity, the N95 is your best bet, never had a phone that has ticked all the boxes like this one. The GPS maps are pre installed and don't require a subscription to use, the only feature that does is the voice navigation which is something like €80 for 3 years. You can also use the network to get more accurate readings when indoors but the antennae in these is fantastic so hardly worthwhile, besides not sure if the networks here have the service required to allow the feature to work installed on their bases.

Go nokia, your head will thank you.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I just got a nokia 6110 n has gps works fine for me so far touch wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What's the n95 like as a phone generally, apart from the GPS?

mate of mine has a n95 and he says the battery life is terrible and he doesnt use the gps so with that it would be a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

get the n82, all n95 features in a decent form factor, and gps works better in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

jd83 wrote: »
    mate of mine has a n95 and he says the battery life is terrible and he doesnt use the gps so with that it would be a lot worse.

i assume he travels by car - so he can charge it while driving!?

• Advertisement

strecker wrote: »
    i assume he travels by car - so he can charge it while driving!?
    ? I said he has a n95 and doesnt use the gps on it all and the battery is still sh*T.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I have the above mentioned phone, no complaints with it so far :D i would recommend, the N95 was too dear for my budget, and i felt i wouldnt use half the features.

The 6110 has the route 66 maps included in the ROM of the phone, and uses navteq (forgive the spelling) maps.

Edit: the battery life seems quite good, seems to last me 3 days ish with a decent amount of internet use (msn messenger) and some GPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭photo_gaa

graememk wrote: »
    I have the above mentioned phone, no complaints with it so far :D i would recommend, the N95 was too dear for my budget, and i felt i wouldnt use half the features.

The 6110 has the route 66 maps included in the ROM of the phone, and uses navteq (forgive the spelling) maps.

Edit: the battery life seems quite good, seems to last me 3 days ish with a decent amount of internet use (msn messenger) and some GPS

What is the price of the N95?

The N95 on a new pay monthy connection is from 279 to 339 euro on vodafone depending on the tarrif you choose, My 6110 Navigator cost me around 150 euro, on one of the lower contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

not sticktly a mobile but i have a HP 614c which runs tomtom/iGo/Garmin xt with no problems. The GPS receiver seems to be stronger than the one in the N95. Added bonus is a fully functional PDA oh and a phone too with 3G etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I'd suggest go for n78. It has everything that n82 and n95 has, but also symbian s60v3 feature pack 2 which is latest feature pack, with better performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭photo_gaa

flodis79 wrote: »
    I'd suggest go for n78. It has everything that n82 and n95 has, but also symbian s60v3 feature pack 2 which is latest feature pack, with better performance.

does it have great gps, and voice gps?

and free to use maps etc? (euro)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

You need to be aware that the GPS on the N95 won't work with some satnav apps.
    Seems to be restricted in that sense.
    Dunno why everyone is mentioning the N95 as the PERFECT device for GPS because many would say it's far from it.
    It definitely wouldn't be its strongest point anyway.
    TBH Nokia have only recently got into the GPS game.
    Others like HTC have been doing it in their devices for a good few years and most satnav apps seem to work with their chips.
    Plus its "proper"/
    traditional GPS in that you're not taking out a subscription for the voice instructions.

So just to break up the Nokia consensus, i'll also mention the Orbit II/HTC Touch Cruise- beautifully implemented GPS with e.g either Tomtom or Copilot with no subscription for voice.
    There's also the older Orbit or things like the HTC Trinity/P3600.

There are others like the Asus and Eten devices that are doing GPS for a while as well.

Dunno any SE or Motorola devices that do inbuilt GPS.

And as mentioned above there are the Nokia devices which AFAIK are based on the A-GPS model with the same N95 restrictions.

Just thought it'd be worth mentioning the alternatives to the consensus above.
    :)

Edit: May have been a bit harsh on the N95.
    Turns out that some 3rd party satnav app makers have enabled their software to now work with the inbuilt GPS chip-
    This wasn't the case when the N95 came out first though.
    Still fairly sure Tomtom doesn't work with it yet though.

about the A-GPS the 6110 i have works fine without a data connection, it uses totally different software than the N95, its more focused on navigation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

graememk wrote: »
    about the A-GPS the 6110 i have works fine without a data connection, it uses totally different software than the N95, its more focused on navigation

Fair enough.
    Interesting.
    So you get the voice instructions for free (without the subscription)?
    And does it work with any 3rd party satnav app of your choice?

• Advertisement

mkennedy wrote: »
    Fair enough.
    Interesting.
    So you get the voice instructions for free (without the subscription)?
    And does it work with any 3rd party satnav app of your choice?

Yea its route 66 software, voice instructions you mean like turn left in x amount of metres etc? yea there is no subscription - it just works :D!, i have heard that new maps can be dear enough I never checked, but the one that came with my phone is UK Ireland 2007 Q2 which is grand for me.

It takes about a minute or so to get a fix if you are standing still, bit slower than a bluetooth GPS device but its understandable beacuse the phone has a low power chip.

also i have it set up to always ask to use the internet connection for the A-GPS.

Well i havent thoughly tried other GPS Applications yet other than google maps (works with the vodafone Live! AP) and GPS works fine in that.

My next step is to learn how to write GPS applications for symbian OS as i already know how to program GPS for Windows Mobile 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

I know this thread is a bit old but I'll add my two cents. I had an Ipaq 614c for a while, and I got sick of endless gremlins with it and high repair costs once it was out of warranty.
    The screen failed twice, resulting in expensive repairs. it is way too fragile - if you have any kind of active lifestyle, this isn't for you. On one occasion, I sat into my son's car. He had the steering wheel down low, and I had the phone in my pocket. As my thigh passed beneath the wheel, the screen got broken.

The batteries are a disaster. When they go fully flat, the phone can't recharge them. HP couldn't solve this, and I went through three new batteries at about €45 each, until I got a simple mains charger on Ebay from China at about USD6, which charged all the batteries HP said were dead. I also got replacement batteries for it on Ebay from Hong Kong for pennies - nothing like what HP charge.

I used Google maps for navigation on it, and it was ok for driving in Ireland, however useless off-road eg in the Burren or on a boat. I had it in New York and no matter what I tried it wouldn't work.

The camera in it is beyond lousy - awful quality.

The PC syncing is with an obsolete version of Outlook.

The mini-USB connector that regulates everything like charging and data exchange is also very fragile and breaks free from the motherboard too easily, another very expensive repair.

All-in-all it doesn't perform to the level I'd expect for its price. I've junked it and won't be buying another one, nice and all as it was on the rare occasions when everything worked.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

best solution for you is nokia with free GPS software

Advertisement