Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European MSc in Business Informatics - DCU

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I just done Computer Applications, Information Systems in DCU. I heard that the course is pretty much more of the same stuff if you are coming from the Information Systems stream. I already done the supply chain management module and I liked it because it's something I'm interested in. But others in the class really disliked it.

My own opinion is that it's going to be bloody boring and probably very vague/cryptic in what it's teaching you. But of course I haven't done the masters ;)

I suppose it depends what you are hoping to get from it. You will come out with a Masters in Business Informatics, which sounds good and is healthy stuff for the C.V. But you may not of learned what it is you went into the masters for.

Like if you are interested in moving into the management side of things, then maybe a different masters would suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Thanks for the post.

Would you say then that it's a business course more so than a technical course ? Would the idea of doing you rproject in another European country not appeal to you ?

There are a lot of foreign students in the course.

I think if I was foreign and looking at a course I'd probably choose that one alright. Because it doesn't necessarilly require you to be an expert at programming or business studies. It's more along the lines of how IT or Information Systems can support businesses. If that's what you are looking for, a masters in a well respected course where there is some very nice modules in IT and business, then go for it.

The module "Data Analysis", sounds like Markus Helfert (coordinator of the course) named it himself. I could only guess it has something to do with Statistics. Markus Helfert is an enthusiastic lecturer. Always interested in improving how students are taught and like to get the class involved with the course. His english isn't great, but it's no problem to have a converstation with him in english.

But what I was trying to say above is that you will not learn Marketing, Economics or Accounting. Nor will you learn Java, Databases or UML. It's sort of inbetween the two. Connecting the two , to give you a better understanding of IT and the business.

Sorry for the delay. I was out hiking and camping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Darragh

Thanks for a great reply. really gives an insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

FYI, They just announced that the European M.Sc. in Business Informatics will not be running for the academic year 2008/2009. It appear that neither will M.Sc. in Bioinformatics and M.Sc. in Computational Science and Complex Systems.

• Advertisement

Did they give a reason?

I just found
    Please Note: This programme will not be running for the academic year 2008/2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Did they give a reason?
    No public reason given that I know of.

All the other MSc programmes – Soft Eng., E-Commerce and Security & Forensic have been substantially changed to have less modules, but larger modules. i.e. moved from 5 credits each to 7.5 each, so overall workload is same, but less actual courses and exams. But the details aren’t on the web yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

H2G2 wrote: »
    M.Sc. in Computational Science and Complex Systems.
    Didn't know DCU did this, is it new? Anyone know what is is like?

Advertisement