Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Female driver looses the plot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    :eek: Theres always one, isn't there :eek:

Someone on a mobile cuts across you, and you do absolutely nothing? I wish all drivers were like you so, but anyone who has driven for five minutes knows this is not how it works here. Beeping is not a crime, beeping is not an offense, talking on your phone and driving dangerously (cutting people off, etc) is. Calling him a "pillock" is hardly reasonable.

He was well within his rights to beep at someone driving like an idiot whilst on the phone who potentially causes a crash. Beeping gives a wake up call, if for only a second. Sure, you're supposed to beep in certain cases, but that's naivety of the highest order if you think that's the culture here.

Luckily you're doors were locked. God knows what would have happened if they weren't interrupted. The guy could have been killed and you want to have a go at him for beeping when someone on the phone nearly causes him to crash. Surely you're taking the solid whiz. Jesus.

I'd have to agree (and I don't often agree with utd fans ;)). I'd beep myself on occasion when someone does something dangerous in front of me. The way I see it, a beep lets them know they've been in the wrong, alerts them of my presence and hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes (even if they don't acknowledge it at first).

I don't like this blame the victim mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

faceman wrote: »
    I think there is a massive difference between inappropriate use of the horn and road rage/intimidation/attemped assault(?) and one doesnt justify the other.
    Exactly, there's a world of difference between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I think there is a massive difference between inappropriate use of the horn and road rage/intimidation/attemped assault(?) and one doesnt justify the other.

There is a big difference between the two!

And what happened to the OP is a bit crazy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'm led to believe that more than that will happen.

Hope you managed to get a pic or two on your camera phone... cause in the heat of the moment it's very easy to forget details etc...

When you have a picture to give to the garda/police, it's very hard for these people to deny they were there at that time when there's a picture, they will have some explaining to do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Where did I compare the two?
    Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Someone on a mobile cuts across you, and you do absolutely nothing? I wish all drivers were like you so

And what purpose would that serve? You going to beep her to death? It only flared tempers in this scenario.
    Beeping is not a crime, beeping is not an offense
    You are making a far bigger issue out of this than I intended it to be, I mentioned in passing the lawful reasons in which you use your car horn. And I most certainly didnt compare her lunacy with the the horn issue..

Some people will say anything for an argument.

talking on your phone and driving dangerously (cutting people off, etc) is
    Obviously.
    Calling him a "pillock" is hardly reasonable.
    Please, dont take anything from my posts out of context in order to make me appear to be abusing the poster, thank you.
    He was well within his rights to beep at someone driving like an idiot whilst on the phone who potentially causes a crash.
    If it was to warn the psycho of his presence, or to warn someone else of the dangerous manner in which she was driving.. then I'd agree with you.
    Beeping gives a wake up call, if for only a second.
    But that wasnt what he was doing. He was angry with her from what I've seen here.
    Sure, you're supposed to beep in certain cases, but that's naivety of the highest order if you think that's the culture here.
    Unfortunate, but true.

• Advertisement

Abigayle wrote: »
    Where did I compare the two?
    Here:
    Tbh OP, you both acted like pillocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Jaysus, thats messed up OP, Lucky nothing bad happened!

Glad my cars horn doesn't work lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I had an expeirience like this recently and I was pretty much touching cloth, I learned a lesson of "ignore and walk away".

Map of incident: sorry about quality :o

58529.jpg

I was approaching at a roundabout in the left lane (i'm the red color) which is for turning left and there is two lanes, so I wait for an opportunity, a car is coming around the roundabout with their left indicator on and turning into the junction I was coming out of and was turned in when I moved onto the roundabout and was about to turn into the left exit, when a Hiace van (in navy color) came speeding down the hill in the lefthand lane for turning left and cut across one car and then as I gave a glance over out of the corner of my eye he cut me right of missing the front of my car by literally millimetres, this naturally enraged me so I flashed the headlamps at him, funnily I usually flash rather than beeb.

However the hiace van was you guessed it :o a traveller! and he went flipping mental and tried to turn around except the street was too narrow, I spotted his carryon and kept well back except the nob behind me stood on his horn so I had to move, he was then swerving all over the place and giving me the finger out the window.

Then however the sh1t really hit the fan for me as approaching on the other side of the road was a transit van (tarmacadam co. will remain unnamed) a buddy of this guys and they stop talking for a second as they do, and then (I had the door locked) the two of them gets out and begins walking towards my car :eek:.

I was literally dying here so I with some miracle drove my car up on the 6 or 7" kerb and sped off half on-off the footpath down past them and they running back to the vans and follows me both of them. I was afraid they'd ram me but they didn't, I drove towards the Gardai station however I managed to duck them at another roundabout (god bless ye granny's and yer inability to use indicators).

I pulled into a car park and was shaking, I didn't report it to the guards as nothing would happen to them and it would only drive the travellers even more mental and if they tracked me down :eek::(. I'm sure the travellers would get off scot free and I reported someone before (dangerous driving) and the guards never pursued it.

I am looking at hand pistols seriously since this incident simply as a detterent, unloaded ftw!

Anan1 wrote: »
    Here:

That was not a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Some real assholes on the road...

• Advertisement

That was not a comparison.
    By using the same word to describe two completely different categories of behaviour you clearly implied that they were of similar magnitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I cannot for life of me figure out why people are giving out about using the horn that is what it is there for. The alert others to potential danger, which is what you get when some one is not paying attention to the road and infringes on your lane. What do you expect the person to do allow the accident to occur, just to be polite. However over the years I have learned to just let things go and if potential aggression can be avoided ,it should be. Safer for you and allows you to complete your journey in safety. I hope the person who owns the NI reg 4x4 has it removed from them.

you clearly implied that they were of similar magnitude.

No, I wasn't no. You are wrong.

No, I wasn't no. You are wrong.
    I'm sorry, Abigayle, but you typed it in black & white. It's there for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'm sorry, Abigayle, but you typed it in black & white. It's there for all to see.

no it's not read the fecking post.

you could be a moron for getting buckled at a bombfire in your snorkle jacket fall in and get burned to death

you can also be a moron for not watching where your going and walking into a lampost

two morons...no comparrison...see?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I think a lot of people in this country take being blown at as a personal affront. 99% of the time, it's not intended as such, and in the case of the OP's scenario, it scarcely justifies the psycho reaction. I think he was perfectly entitled to blow his horn in the situation as described.

blastman wrote: »
    I think a lot of people in this country take being blown at as a personal affront. 99% of the time, it's not intended as such, and in the case of the OP's scenario, it scarcely justifies the psycho reaction. I think he was perfectly entitled to blow his horn in the situation as described.

99% of the time it shouldn't be used it serves no fu*king purpose...

I'm sorry, Abigayle

Dont be. I dont care what you think, tbph.

ntlbell wrote: »
    no it's not read the fecking post.

you could be a moron for getting buckled at a bombfire in your snorkle jacket fall in and get burned to death

you can also be a moron for not watching where your going and walking into a lampost

two morons...no comparrison...see?
    What's a 'bombfire'? Are you 'buckled'?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

new heading for the thread:
    Female driver looses the plot (some posters also)
    :D

• Advertisement

Dont be. I dont care what you think, tbph.
    I can actually hear you saying that!:D

What's a 'bombfire'? Are you 'buckled'?

not far off it :pac:

snorkle is ok tho no need for panic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

99% of the time it shouldn't be used it serves no fu*king purpose...

LOL I'd say more than 99% of the time, it isn't used! But it does serve a purpose, just that a lot of Irish drivers could be charitably deemed "over-sensitive" where its use is concerned. Because they're perfect drivers....

blastman wrote: »
    LOL I'd say more than 99% of the time, it isn't used! But it does serve a purpose, just that a lot of Irish drivers could be charitably deemed "over-sensitive" where its use is concerned. Because they're perfect drivers....

sorry what imeant was on them 99% of times when it used it's used wrongly and serving nopurpose

the horn itself has a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

not far off it :pac:

snorkle is ok tho no need for panic
    No, snorkel is OK.

I can't remember the last time I used my horn, but the person I was with told me that it achieved the desired result. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

Jesus that's mad. I would have shat myself! Then again I am learning to ignore people like this but it makes my blood boil because that lets them get away with it.

Some drunk nutter tried to get into the passenger seat of my car the other day in broad daylight coming out of my estate asking "giveus a lift!". In broad daylight! Luckily I saw him coming and locked the doors.

It would be great to see the OP nail these fuckers though. I've never come across anything that bad before, but we've all seen similarish cráp.

I couldn't tell you how many people I've seen driving today with mobiles to their ears. Going around roundabouts, turning corners.. how do you physically do it? :confused:

I ignore my phone completely until I've stopped the car, nothing is that important. No indication is my pet hate though. Is it actually that hard to do?

That psycho had some gall though, to be blatently in the wrong, and then lose the head.
    I can actually hear you saying that!:D
    My bad :pac:
    peasant wrote: »
    new heading for the thread: :D
    I saw that coming :D

esel wrote: »
    No, snorkel is OK.

I can't remember the last time I used my horn, but the person I was with told me that it achieved the desired result. :eek:

made wigwam?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

made wigwam?
    Oh Yeah! "By the shores of Gitche Gumee", as HWL wrote. :cool:

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/images/smilies/indian.gif

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/images/smilies/indian.gif

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The lads in the X5 may just have been doing the age old "it's a woman, he's shouting at her and regardless of how right he may be, it gives us the moral right, nay obligation to intervene and use excessive force if we get the chance have to" thing. Alot of people take this sort of thing as a licence to poke their nose in. I've seen "the big men" getting involved in husband/wife arguments which have gotten a bit loud. B@lloxs the lot of them.
    I never use the car horn, unless I meet someone I know walking as long as there are no other road users around, as in a quiet country road. The only other time I would use it is if i thought using it avert something dangerous.
    I resent people beeping at me. Unless it has an outcome apart from "alerting the other driving to the fact they've done something wrong" or some such. Beeping the horn is heard by other drivers too. It pisses them off as they think they're getting repremanded by one of these self appointed "Kings of the Road". It is a pointless, ignorant thing to do by people who think they know better than others, or by people who think they have a "right" because someone does something stupid/ignorant/dangerous. Start an organisation promoting road safgety. Beeping the horn does nothing except wind up other road users. (cue: I don't think I know better. Prove it. Where in my post. Blah, blah, blah.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement