Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELPPPPPPP :(

Options
  • 27-06-2008 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello everyone... basically just joined this forum to ask advice? (No scolding please I've had enough from my parents:p)

So I'm just finished 5th year in a Gael Scoil, and my report came the other day. I wasn't expecting any miracles but what came in the letterbox really shocked me. Here are my grades;
    Irish C1
    English C1
    Maths (O) E (I KNOW!):eek:
    French E
    Music C1
    Chemistry NG (17%)
    Biology E

All honours but maths... Needless to say its a horrible report but I got the same kind of report in the summer before my junior cert and with a little work in the following year it came good :)

Now my parents are talking of me repeating 5th year, which, as far as I'm concerned is not an option.. I did 4 years before my JC and I am NOT doing 3 'til the leaving... I know the Junior Cert And Leaving Cert are two very different courses, but... Contrary to what the report may say, I am a bright student who can and has achieved high grades!!

What I'm asking here is; Is a year enough time? If I get grinds and put in the labour, will i come out alright?
    I put in absolutely no effort in 5th year, not even doing my homework, and it shows. I just hope its not too late? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

Tbh, the little work you said you did that made your JC come good...you'll need more than that for the LC. But if you do work from September on, there's no reason you shouldn't be fine. I didn't do music or bio so I don't know about them, but we covered French mostly in 6th year, I had different teachers for 5th and 6th so we started from scratch and were all fine- well, results pending, but we found the exam alright. I found chemistry hard so I don't know really, I had to work at that a lot both years. If you repeat, you're pretty much starting English from scratch, and Irish poetry changes too I'm fairly sure.

If you're genuinely willing to work like mad then yeah I'd say you'd be okay. But it's a hard year even if you've worked in 5th year, so it will mean serious time at the books...But if you really don't want to repeat 5th year then it's probably worth it. Otherwise you might end up pissed off at repeating and not do much again, so it would be a wasted year. I don't know if you would like, but I know I couldn't've done 5th year again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

You're in a similar boat as me it seems.

I did next to nothing during 5th year except for the last month or so when I realised I was a lazy f**king git ;)

I got fairly good results and I still know I have a long, long way to go!!!

For you, I would say that you definitely need to put in a few hours of work a week during summer. Just flick through your books and maybe do a few questions and learn some facts.

Instead of sleeping in until 11am or 12am, get up at 9 or 10am and educate yourself for those two hours or so.

The country as you should know is heading towards a recession and it's best you get yourself a decent education, and that starts with the LC.

No need to repeat imo but that's providing you do what I stated above.

Good luck. Keep in touch here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 giggswife99

Cheers for the replies guys I'll take them on board.
    I've started organizing notes and whatnot already as it usually takes me the first two months when I go back before I'm ready to start learning again! :p
    Anyone think I'd be better off dropping Chem as I clearly know none of it, and taking up a learning subject, eg Geog, Business or something and getting extra grinds? We have 3/4's of the course covered and I could struggle to catch up :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Now my parents are talking of me repeating 5th year, which, as far as I'm concerned is not an option.. I did 4 years before my JC and I am NOT doing 3 'til the leaving... I know the Junior Cert And Leaving Cert are two very different courses, but... Contrary to what the report may say, I am a bright student who can and has achieved high grades!!

:(
    Well hopefully you will be motivated from the start of 6th year, it takes a lot of work, and anyway tell your parents it makes much more sense repeating 6th year than 5th year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Cheers for the replies guys I'll take them on board.
    I've started organizing notes and whatnot already as it usually takes me the first two months when I go back before I'm ready to start learning again! :p
    Anyone think I'd be better off dropping Chem as I clearly know none of it, and taking up a learning subject, eg Geog, Business or something and getting extra grinds? We have 3/4's of the course covered and I could struggle to catch up :confused:
    Up to you but I'll tell you what I know.

Business can easily be done in a year if you put in the work.

If you're going to do it make sure you are prepared (exam papers, revision book etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Get yourself some good maths grinds. I failed my 5th year summer maths exam and am confident now that I have passed the LC with a little extra :)
    If you're serious about this I'd say do a little during the summer, even if it's just reading your English novel/play, watching the film or reading an Trial for Irish. No need to go overboard but every little helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭emmanuels-baby

NO point repeating 5th!!! if anything you can repeat 6th (if you have to..which you prob won't)

when i was i 5th..i was NEVER in school(missed 60days, got one of those letters etc), the days i WAS in-i was always late... didn't do my work etc

possibly not a great excuse but I BLAME 4th year for making me lazy

anyway-my class teacher told me i wouldn't do as well as i could in the L.C....that i'd be kicking myself etc

6th year came around...tbh i really, really got the finger out at xmas... studied a fair bit from then on and got 540 in the LC (highest in my year)...got my course, pleased the parents...yada-yada-yada..most importantly-totally SICKENED the teacher!!!:p

lesson:it's defo not too late..your results are quite lousy:rolleyes: but don't sweat it...plenty of time and NOTHING is impossible....so eh, "reach for those stars?":cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Dorry, but if your in a Gael Scoil how did you only get a C1?!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

just giving my opinion in the matter kmart6....just because we are fluent english speakers doesnt mean we always get A1s in tests.he/she may know the language but mightn't be able to answer the questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

kmart6 wrote: »
    Dorry, but if your in a Gael Scoil how did you only get a C1?!

Because the Irish Leaving Cert exam is about learning things off by rote and not about how well you actually know the language.

Anyway OP if you don't want to repeat 5th Year, then don't. It would be a waste of time. You won't have any motivation and will probably end up in a similar situation again.

6th Year is a high pressure year - if you're bright, the thought of failing should be enough motivation to do a lot of study through the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Repeating 5th year is a crazy idea... just put in some decent work in 6th year and you'll be ok.

Advertisement