Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIVELINE JULY 2008.

• 27-06-2008 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Thought I heard JD saying today that he was off until the end of July and that Damien O'Reilly would be presenting.

With all due respect to him I think that whilst O'Reilly is an experienced broadcaster he is just not Liveline material. I have tried to listen to him on his previous appearances but I just can't take him.

I'm off to Newstalk until Duffy comes back or Derek Davis turns up.......

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Thought I heard JD saying today that he was off until the end of July and that Damien O'Reilly would be presenting.

With all due respect to him I think that whilst O'Reilly is an experienced broadcaster he is just not Liveline material. I have tried to listen to him on his previous appearances but I just can't take him.

As I said what do you expect from the "cattery" ?? O'Reilly is not the worst..did well today.

Duffy is well gone...an good riddance....pity only for July..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Damien O'Reilly sounds like the kinda guy your sister brings home to meet yore ma .Nice fellah but you wouldent want her (your sister not your ma ) to marry him ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

On his last stint out on that show I noticed that he had quite right wing catholic tendencies lying not too far below his genial-jock surface. This in itself may not be important however when a topic came up that took on a christian moral ethic tinge or indeed involved the catholic church directly he more often than not sided directly with his conscience to the detriment of balanced debate and investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Magicman1

I must admit that, while Derek Davis would be my preferred choice as fill-in for Joe Duffy, Damien O'Reilly isn't too bad. Far better than the attempt Jenny Huston made at it a few months back! She was baaaad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

humberklog wrote: »
    On his last stint out on that show I noticed that he had quite right wing catholic tendencies lying not too far below his genial-jock surface. This in itself may not be important however when a topic came up that took on a christian moral ethic tinge or indeed involved the catholic church directly he more often than not sided directly with his conscience to the detriment of balanced debate and investigation.

i noticed that with regard to his ultra swift defense of the gardai on a show some time back
    this is hardly surprising , his roots in broadcasting are mainly in agricultural programmes , hes from a farming backround and is married to cavan woman and former athelete cathriona mc kiernan

as for his style , hes too nice , too bland and has about as much edge as a pound of butter

• Advertisement

irish_bob wrote: »
    i noticed that with regard to his ultra swift defense of the gardai on a show some time back
    this is hardly surprising , his roots in broadcasting are mainly in agricultural programmes , hes from a farming backround and is married to cavan woman and former athelete cathriona mc kiernan

as for his style , hes too nice , too bland and has about as much edge as a pound of butter

Have to agree there Robert - thanks for the concise bio...explains a lot.

For that programme you do need somebody with a bit of edge ..who is not afraid to tell somebody they are talkin rubbish.
    And force callers to substantiate the points of view they put forward - Duffy ..to his credit was not lackin in agression..probably the ballyer background !!

O'Reilly should be cloned with that other Blandie ..Cahill ...the GAA guy who never disagrees with anybody and lets callers make the most outrageus statements without any back up facts.

irish_bob wrote: »

Thanks for the bio irish. I didn't know anything about him. Makes a lotta sense too. Fattens up to case file for when the revolution comes.
    I was gonna throw in a comment about his defense of or siding with guadai on some issues that have popped up in past. I'm glad you did.
    He has the air and address of a light pirate jock that would've kept the seat warm for Father M. Cleary in the 80's.
    It's a pity and an opportunity wasted when RTE drop a host into a format instead of allowing a full change in programme format. It would extend and test RTE's broadcasting abilities and challenge and test its listnership. Of course what with all the main players taking holliers at the same time it couldn't work. A holiday rota (my god the shock!) would have to be devised.
    P.S. Am I the only one who thinks there is something going on between jenny and gerry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He cant be that Catholic if he's divorced

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

The guy is the Daily Mail in a cheap shirt. He can't keep himself out of it, even when it completely derails the point of the call.

CALLER: I watched my son die from heroin....
    DAMIEN: But he probably started with cannabis, right?
    CALLER: Er, I'm not really talking about....
    DAMIEN: And yet you have some people calling for it to be legalised. Imagine. With thousands dying of it every day.
    CALLER: Anyway, about my son -
    DAMIEN: The so-called liberals. If only they knew.

He's a clown.
    He has the air and address of a light pirate jock that would've kept the seat warm for Father M. Cleary in the 80's.

Spot on. Couldn't have put it better.

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.
    Ah he can Mike. Father Cleary was an uber catholic and he'd kids. Of all religions catholicism accommodates the err. Seams to make them stronger. The banishing brimstone is only used pre-sin. Post-sin...let the love flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Am I missing something here - who said he was divorced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

he isnt divorced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

You'll be waiting a long time, Derek Davis has retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Bugger, I enjoyed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I'm still wondering how that part of his bio about his being married to 'cavan woman and former athlete' cathriona mckiernan contributes to the deduction that he is a right wing catholic apologist!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I'm off to Newstalk

That guy MonCrieff (however it's spelled) is the piths, couldn't listen to him.

I'm still wondering how that part of his bio about his being married to 'cavan woman and former athlete' cathriona mckiernan contributes to the deduction that he is a right wing catholic apologist!!!
    It doesn't. The deduction was pre that post. My deduction was based on his last outing on Liiiivvehliineh anyway and don't see any other post going "yeah,yeah,yeah....Dattes Riiite!."

"Married" = Catholic
    "Married to a woman" = Strong Catholic
    "Married to a Cavan Woman" = Right Wing pal....believe me :)

It's easy when you read the clues.......:D

"Married" = Catholic
    "Married to a woman" = Strong Catholic
    "Married to a Cavan Woman" = Right Wing pal....believe me :)

It's easy when you read the clues.......:D
    The prosecution rests its case M'Lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Like Nutley I just don't bother listening until Duffy resurfaces as that O'Reilly chap's presentation style irks me.

Is it really true that Liveline actually had a woman caller speak on air and admit to the essential elements of what appears to be a stateable act of murder by injecting something in to a patient in a hospital ?

If so, this is an exceptional classic by RTE standards !! Indeed, keep this up and Duffy won't have a programme to which to return !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

What irks me most about Damien O'Reilly is his habit of interrupting his own sentences with "joe@rte.ie or 51551 or 1850715815.
    Caller: My entire family are drug addicts and I'm homeless and my dog died.
    Damien: God that's 185071515 awful. How do you cope?
    Caller: Well it's difficult really Joe.
    Damien: And where are you 51551 living now?
    And so on......

UrbanFox wrote: »
    Like Nutley I just don't bother listening until Duffy resurfaces as that O'Reilly chap's presentation style irks me.

Is it really true that Liveline actually had a woman caller speak on air and admit to the essential elements of what appears to be a stateable act of murder by injecting something in to a patient in a hospital ?

If so, this is an exceptional classic by RTE standards !! Indeed, keep this up and Duffy won't have a programme to which to return !
    Yep it's true although there was more compassion and understanding shown to her than perhaps you'd be willing to lend.
    Caught the show by chance as I too am avoiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

and he always agrees with whoever people are on the show arguing about

biddy: ryanair just left me stranded after my flight was cancelled
    damien: ah but they have very good offers on flights

mary: my relative was killed by terrorists that detonated a car bomb
    damien: im sure they had a very good reason mary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sf147

Lizzykins wrote: »
    What irks me most about Damien O'Reilly is his habit of interrupting his own sentences with "joe@rte.ie or 51551 or 1850715815.
    Caller: My entire family are drug addicts and I'm homeless and my dog died.
    Damien: God that's 185071515 awful. How do you cope?
    Caller: Well it's difficult really Joe.
    Damien: And where are you 51551 living now?
    And so on......

:D:D:D:D
    Completely agree with this!
    Just listening to him now and he completely wrecks my head!
    I have been so tempted to text 51551 just to tell them to tell Damien to stop calling out the text number!

Also, what kills me is when someone is talking and he interrupts by going 'Aaaaaaaahhh... Aaaaaahhh'
    Headwrecking!

Advertisement