Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Clearwire] Trying to cancel...

Options
  • 27-06-2008 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hello all, i am a customer of clearwire, does anyone else find that their customer serice is ****?, i called in a few days ago about cancellation and they want me to pay over one hundred of my euros to cancel because their **** product does not work in my area. not only that, i call them and i do not think there is 1 irish person actually in the company, everyone i speak to has a problem with english, with lots of indians, there is 1 girl who sounds eastern european with the most stupid annoying squearly voice, she sounds like just come from school and keeps repeating the same stupid lines over and over again does anyone else know how i can get out of paying cancel fee, they say if i do not pay cancel fee they will keep bill me every month, surely that is illegal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Non provision of service is also a breach of contract and renders the contract void.

How bad is the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Non provision of service is also a breach of contract and renders the contract void.

How bad is the service?

It may not be that simple , given the nature of the product .

I cant remember their T&Cs regarding coverage even though I used Clearwire for a year or so but I imagine they'll have covered their backsides in smallprint by placing the onus on the user to confirm coverage in the area they intend using the modem . I know it's the first thing I checked before I ordered . If Clearwire have stated either on their website via their availability check or on the phone to you (or even better , though unlikely , in writing) that coverage is available in your area and it plainly isn't or is inefficient then it is undoubtedly non-provision of service , as MC describes .

If you've relocated having once been in a catchment area where the coverage was okay that's basically down to you unless they state coverage is available in the area you relocated to .

The product ? I didnt like it . I stuck with it for the term of the contract as they delivered their side but their side was more restrictive than I had anticipated . I dont like web-shaping and even normal internet traffic was congested for the first few months until they erected a new mast locally . After that it was ok , but only ok . I wouldnt go back to them .

Customer service - I actually thought it was very good . Having heard/read bad reports I was dreading contacting them but was pleasantly surprised when I did . The call-centre staff were courteous and as informative as could be hoped for , given that they were most likely reading from script . They called back when they said they would and were well spoken and easily understood . They weren't Irish but that's not a prerequisite for doing a job well . That was over a year ago and only rang them 3 times IIRC so it may well be that Clearwire have changed call centres . I dunno ...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

hello all, i am a customer of clearwire, does anyone else find that their customer serice is ****?, i called in a few days ago about cancellation and they want me to pay over one hundred of my euros to cancel because their **** product does not work in my area. not only that, i call them and i do not think there is 1 irish person actually in the company, everyone i speak to has a problem with english, with lots of indians, there is 1 girl who sounds eastern european with the most stupid annoying squearly voice, she sounds like just come from school and keeps repeating the same stupid lines over and over again does anyone else know how i can get out of paying cancel fee, they say if i do not pay cancel fee they will keep bill me every month, surely that is illegal?

Well, There is not any need for that really is it? At the end of the day it was YOUR choice to move, it's not within their hands if you decided to move so at the end of the day it's your fault unless they held a gun to your head and forced you to move?

I have spoken to Clearwire many times and I have never had an issue with speaking to anyone there, and I do not see what nationality does and where it comes into it to be honest? So what if someone is from Eastern Europe? I don't have a problem with that, I don't care what nationality they are it makes no difference, whether they are Irish, Indian, Slovak or Polish, it really doesn't bother me.

If you have to pay a cancellation fee you do, if you do not pay it you are choosing not to cancel so they keep billing you, is it really that hard to understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

just cancel your direct debit to them at the bank ... they are hardly gonna come chasing you .... especially if you put it in writing to them that you are cancelling because they are not providing the service you are paying for.

too many companies in this country want paying for providing poor service, clearwire being one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    Well, There is not any need for that really is it? At the end of the day it was YOUR choice to move, it's not within their hands if you decided to move so at the end of the day it's your fault unless they held a gun to your head and forced you to move?
    Move? Where does it say anything about the OP moving?

I have spoken to Clearwire many times and I have never had an issue with speaking to anyone there, and I do not see what nationality does and where it comes into it to be honest?
    Understanding someone who's first language is not the same as yours, is always an issue. Even when they are the same, accents can often cause problems when understanding and explaining the problem. So it does come into it.
    If you have to pay a cancellation fee you do, if you do not pay it you are choosing not to cancel so they keep billing you, is it really that hard to understand?

Whether or not the cancellation fee is right and/or legal is the question though. If Clearwire can't proved the service that was paid for, then they can't impose a fee for discontinuing it.

The OP should study his terms and conditions to see what exactly is stated. I would suggest cancel the direct debit by writing to the bank. Then write to Clearwire saying you will not be paying any more. Send back the modem, or get them to collect it. It helps if you have record of your calls to Clearwire about the poor service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Right.
    If the op ordered the service and it hasn't worked right then either clearwire need to sort it out or leave him out of a contract without a buyout fee, this however only applys if the op made a reasonable effort to inform clearwire of such issues and allowed clearwire time to try resolve them. Reasonable effort is not just one or two calls to their support line.

If however the op has a working service and is moving to a new area which doesn't have clearwire then the op would be liable for paying the contract buyout fee as they signed up to a 12 month contract based on the understanding that if they broke it early they'd pay up.

Can you provide more info about why your canceling jennyfromtheblo?

[EDIT] I've also edited thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I cancelled Clearwire ages ago as their service went to utter crap a few months after I got it. They wanted a cancellation fee also. I simply wrote them a letter explaining my grievances with their lack of service and posted them back their box to their freepost address. I rang them to confirm all this and they agreed to waive the cancellation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I have spoken to Clearwire many times and I have never had an issue with speaking to anyone there, and I do not see what nationality does and where it comes into it to be honest? So what if someone is from Eastern Europe? I don't have a problem with that, I don't care what nationality they are it makes no difference, whether they are Irish, Indian, Slovak or Polish, it really doesn't bother me.
    I really am sick of all of this politically correct rubbish, Its almost always harder to communicate with someone who's first language isn't English. There really isn't any use in denying it. For an Irish person its easier to communicate with an Irish person just like its easier for a polish person to communicate with a polish person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smurfy999

clearwire are trying to charge me 500 euros out of nowhere, I'm getting letters from dept collectors with treats of legal action. all be cause i had enough of there false promises of better service. they promised me 10 MB download speed which i thought was a bit good to be true. i got 250 to 500 KB on a good day. i phoned them up and cancelled the service now I'm landed with these bills. as i recall i never signed a contract or even recieved any documentation of these terms. does anyone know what i can do ? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Speer

Ludo wrote: »
    I cancelled Clearwire ages ago as their service went to utter crap a few months after I got it. They wanted a cancellation fee also. I simply wrote them a letter explaining my grievances with their lack of service and posted them back their box to their freepost address. I rang them to confirm all this and they agreed to waive the cancellation fee.
    What is their freepost address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I rang them last week to cancel and was told I would receive a bag in the post for me to post back the box too - they never mentioned a cancellation fee:confused:

They said they will cancel it on receipt of the box. I await the bag in the post with baited breath.

I am just going to cancel my DD if I dont get it by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

I believe their cancellation policy may have changed, so I would advise you to give them a call first and find out what the latest is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i bought a modem from the carphone warhouse, they told me to bring it back within a week if i had any problems, got full signal but still pages wouldnt load lol... So i brought it back, and the guy in the shop told me i would personally have to ring crapwire to get a refund, think it was around 60 euros.

Called them, gave my details to some phone junky and he said i would receive a letter or a call from them saying when they would collect it. Prolly a month later now , havent recieved my money back, nor have i recieved a phonecall or a letter, pain in the arse to be honest,
    this country has so many bad isps its starting to make eircon look good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Sorry about the descriptive subject title but anyone who has had to deal with Clearwire will know it's letting them off lightly!

Here's a quick summary of what happened:
    -Clearwire modem broke for the 3rd time in Nov '07 - my ma cancelled it with them and that was that. They were meant to send out a courier to collect it but they never did.
    -She checked her bank statement around Feb. '08, and saw that they were still taking out the Direct Debits, even though the modem was broke and wasn't been used (obviously 'cos it's broke) - Kuntwire confirmed that it hadn't been used; they were able to check the signal blah blah.
    -Spoke with her bank and cancelled the DD - put it in writing, posted it by registered post, and it was acknowleged the next day.....so that was grand, DD cancelled...or so we thought;
    -Checked bank statement: Kuntwire continued to take out the DD, even though it was cancelled in the bank.
    -(que weeks and weeks of ringing Kuntwire and being told "...but you used the modem..." and "...okay, we will call you back on Monday..." [never called back])
    -Spoke with the Irish Payment Services Organisation (IPSO: http://ipso.ie) - they advised that with Crapwire going back into the account and the bank allowing them to do this means that the DDs were "unauthorised transactions" and that she is entitled to a refund under the "..DD refund guarantee".
    --Rang bank, they advised that Clearwire have to cancel it on their end too........advised them of the IPSO conversation...awaiting a call back on Monday.

So....who's in the wrong here: the bank or Crapwire? Who should be giving the refund? Hope ya can help!

Sorry about the long post, but it would actually be a lot longer....been ringing Crapwire for months.

Thanks,

-Ste

I haven't used their modem since January this year.Just unplugged it.Cancelled direct debit from bank and forgot about that dreadful 'company'.I've moved house since so they can't contact me but the keep bombarding me with text messages saying i owe them payments for service.As shakespeare would say "Who will rid me of this awful cleardire"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the bank are in the wrong when you cancel a direct debit they should not allow any more direct debits afterr 30 days but most times the cancellation is instant. is it possible that you use the same bank as clearwire and that they are reactivating the debits for their business customer and ignoring the cancellation?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    is it possible that you use the same bank as clearwire and that they are reactivating the debits for their business customer and ignoring the cancellation?

Foggy lad that makes sense - its AIB, maybe Crapwire do have their account with them?

When you say 'after 30 days' do you mean that Crapwire can go back into the account legally??

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

peepingtom wrote: »
    just cancel your direct debit to them at the bank ... they are hardly gonna come chasing you .... especially if you put it in writing to them that you are cancelling because they are not providing the service you are paying for.

too many companies in this country want paying for providing poor service, clearwire being one of them

Actually, I'll start from the beginning.. My bro had clearwire for about 18 months, he was just using it for web surfing. the modem broke, now i mean it stopped powering on etc. The bro did nothing for 3 months and one day i knocked over to use the interweb. I rang up and cancelled it and payed the 3 months rental on it in May. He returned the modem a couple of days later.

So 2 weeks ago a letter comes in from Intrum Justia, saying he owes them 119 euro so basically 3 months rental. He's on holidays so I called and they gave the usual data protection stuff, which is fine but I told the eastern european girl that I didnt want any info on his account. I paid the outstanding amount with my CC and had the statement there and offered to email to her, but the idiot wouldnt listen. "get him to call when he is back from holidays etc etc" come to think of it most likely he didnt cancel his DD and they've been trying to bill him that way and as he's a poor studen he probably never has money in his account.

He's back saturday so I'll get it sorted then.

Clearwire -> idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

steo87 wrote: »
    Foggy lad that makes sense - its AIB, maybe Crapwire do have their account with them?

When you say 'after 30 days' do you mean that Crapwire can go back into the account legally??

Thanks

to cancel a direct debit you are supposed to give 30 days notice but in most cases where there is no issues the direct debit can be cancelled immediately but otherwise the company will still be able to take funds from your account up to 30 days after you cancel, this presumably is to allow for your account with the company to be finalised and closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Speer wrote: »
    I haven't used their modem since January this year.Just unplugged it.Cancelled direct debit from bank and forgot about that dreadful 'company'.I've moved house since so they can't contact me but the keep bombarding me with text messages saying i owe them payments for service.As shakespeare would say "Who will rid me of this awful cleardire"

U see this gets to me I unplugged it and cancelled my DD , did you not think of calling them to cancel your account because cancelling your direct debit does not count of course there going to keep on billing you until you actually ring them and tell them you dont want there service anymore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sorry about the descriptive subject title but anyone who has had to deal with Clearwire will know it's letting them off lightly!

Sorry about the long post, but it would actually be a lot longer....been ringing Crapwire for months.

Thanks,

-Ste

Under the direct debit scheme to cancel a direct debit you inform your bank. The scheme states that it is advisable to also inform the company concerned but the only requirement is to inform the bank.
    You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your Bank.

You have a record of when you informed the bank and how and you say you also have an acknowledgement from the bank of the cancellation.

Contact your bank manager and ask why Clearwire were allowed access your bank account when the dd had been cancelled. Tell the manager that the bank is in breach of the dd scheme and that unless an immediate refund is made you will be making a complaint to the financial services regulator about the banks behaviour. Tell the bank manager that you also want a written explanation as to how a third party was allowed to continually access your account without permission. And ask him (or her:)) how they expect you to trust the bank in the face of such blatant neglect of your interests and ignorance on the part of the bank staff as to how the scheme works.

By the way the dd scheme is available in full on the ipso site.

It is appalling that bank staff still appear to be unaware of how the dd system works.

If you are up for it you should tell IPSO that you wish to make a formal complaint against the bank and Clearwire and see what they say:(

Remind them of the following from the scheme:
    Paying Banks:
    o must adhere to the Rules of the Scheme
    o must put in place processes which will ensure that unauthorised and/or cancelled Direct Debits are intercepted and returned immediately on presentation
    In this regard, it is an intrinsic and fundamental element of the Scheme that each Payer will have an assurance that when he/she/it provides a Direct Debit Instruction, procedures are in place under or pursuant to the Scheme to protect his/her/its interest.

Your interests have been totally ignored in this particular case and the bank have obviously failed to put in place proper processes.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    to cancel a direct debit you are supposed to give 30 days notice but in most cases where there is no issues the direct debit can be cancelled immediately but otherwise the company will still be able to take funds from your account up to 30 days after you cancel, this presumably is to allow for your account with the company to be finalised and closed?

Where did you get this 30 days notice idea? there is no requirement in the direct debit scheme to give 30 days notice of cancellation.

From the dd scheme:
    You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your Bank.

It would be far better if 'good time' were defined.

peepingtom wrote: »

This is potentially lousy and irresponsible advice in case anyone is considering it.

Never ever 'just cancel your direc debit' to anyone because of poor service.

If you are to do it properly you must have a paper record of informing the company of your problems and of giving them a reasonable chance to rectify the problem. You should also write to the company informing them that you will be cancelling your direct debit due to the poor service you have received and their failure to respond to your complaints.

Never never 'just' cancel a direct debt. You wont have any defense when the debt collectors inevitably come calling.

campo wrote: »
    U see this gets to me I unplugged it and cancelled my DD , did you not think of calling them to cancel your account because cancelling your direct debit does not count of course there going to keep on billing you until you actually ring them and tell them you dont want there service anymore

If you are in a contract you cannot just break the contract there has to be a reason and the reason has to be substantiated. You are absolutely correct when you say that cancelling the direct debit does not cancel the contract. A direct debit is simply a particular way of paying a bill nothing more nothing less. Cancelling a direct debit does not in any alter your obligation to pay for the service.

If you wish to stop paying for the service because it is poor or inadequate or whatever then you absolutely must enter into correspondence with the company.

I hate clearwire so much.They're running an extortion racket.Bloody fraudsters.

Looks like my mam's getting a refund here....she contacted Clearcrap and the Bank, and advised that she had been in contact with the Financial Regulator (about the bank's feck up i.e. allowing a third party to go back into her account) and Consumer Affairs about Clearcrap.

Under the Data Protection Act she's is entitled to a copy of all data kept on file about her - however, Clearcrap said they cannot do this. - how will she get a copy of the data? - threaten them with more action?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

how will she get a copy of the data? - threaten them with more action?

Report Clearwire to the Data Protection Commissioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Debt collectors have no legal powers. They have no more power to make you pay than you or I calling to a house demanding money.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Debt collectors have no legal powers. They have no more power to make you pay than you or I calling to a house demanding money.

That may be so but they can be a monumental pain and very difficult for the 'ordinary person' who is not clued in to get rid of.

I know a couple of people who paid money to BT (or whatever they may have been known as then) several years ago to get debt collectors off their back. They were convinced that they did not owe the money but it was easier in their view to pay than to 'fight'.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »

Who said anything about debt collectors?

Advertisement