Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

My boyfriend bought me some beautiful purple lillies and arrived at my door with them the other week:D

...unfortunately a friend of his spotted him as he walked from the bus to my house with the flowers and announced it later that evening at a barbeque we were at..all his friends heard:o (I hope he wasn't embarrassed!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I love flowers, but I always buy my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I love flowers. Roses in particular. I get a small bunch quite regularly :) He's the best. (honeymoon phase anyone?) I have informed him that flowers are welcome for whatever reason.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My hubby gets me flowers regularly, sometimes for no reason and sometimes when he knows that I have had a bad day! The last time that he got me flowers was last week. He normally gets me flowers from those that were in my wedding bouquet (ie, roses, fresia and sunflowers - an unusual mix!). He even got 2 murano vases to put them into. I absolutely love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

GinnyJo wrote: »
    I really should theres loads of different roses out there, climbing, traditional, tea, peony..I'm going to turn into craZY GardEning lady:D

Here's my reasons for not liking roses:
    1) People use ALOT of pesticides on them to stop greenfly. Ladybirds eat greenflys and now they're becoming few and far between!

2) I just generally don't think they're that nice. I think there's a lot better and nicer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I love flowers. Have only received them twice. dammit. I needs me a man so I can whip him into shape.

But I do buy my own flowers. On the side I do flower arrangements so I have a card for a wholesaler so I but fresh flowers from there. I refuse to buy (or allow anyone I know) buy flowers from a florist. rip off. Especially when I know how much the flowers really cost!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ive never been given flowers but even looking at others make me smile.
    if i ever got a bouqet id hav a huge grin all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

ive never been given flowers but even looking at others make me smile.
    if i ever got a bouqet id hav a huge grin all day

Ah, here ya go then ;)

23018WHl.jpg

I used to buy flowers for my ex quiet often and not always out of guilt either :D Honestly I'd say they're a bit of waste of money but she seemed to like them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My ex preferred surprise Ben & Jerry's or a curry than flowers.

My ex preferred surprise Ben & Jerry's or a curry than flowers.

I don't believe you.....your one of them.

• Advertisement

do ya'll really like flours that much? i tought it was one of those over done things, 'oh flours how prodictable'

I think that flowers are a guilty pleasure like chocolate, you should not like them but you do, they are really romantic to recieve and put a smile on your face at the thought that someone thought about you so much to get them for you. You should have seen me on Tuesday when I turned up at the bus stop to meet my husband and saw a big bouquet of flowers in his arms...I was chuffed and so proud of him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My wifey gets me white fresia when I'm feeling down. I love the scent from them, and its very calming to just sit and watch them. I tried to grow my own, but they got hit by the frost :(

I don't understand why people don't buy a few flowers more often- its great to have them as part of everyday life. I am a fan of getting small bunches of specially chosen flowers rather than big bunches of crap though. I love when all the cactus here are in flower.

I didn't realise that he was posting on this thread, honest! Yes, I buy him flowers too, and cactus as he loves them...he made me stop with the cactus when we had a room of them. I should explain that he was a farmer and is a qualified florest, so he arranges them for me too...very handy as I kill things, with him our flowers last a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I never really understand why people say they are a waste of money or too expensive. They're no more a waste or too expensive than a meal out or a bottle of wine. All three are very enjoyable and lovely to be treated to, flowers are generally the least expensive of the three or a close tie on the price of a bottle of wine and also they last the longest of the three. You can get beautiful reasonably priced flowers in the likes of Tesco or M&S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I still have the white rose Anti bought me on our first date, that was nearly two years ago now. He bought me flowers the last two valentines days. But if im being honest i would love to get them.. just because.. yeah im a sappy romantic i'll admit it. I buy him things, nothing major but i'll be in the shops and i'll see something he likes and just pick them up, normally jellies or beer. But it's not what is bought, its the fact you are being thought of. Feck it, it could be a nutragous bar and id be happy!

Jules wrote: »
    I still have the white rose Anti bought me on our first date, that was nearly two years ago now. He bought me flowers the lasgt two valentines days. But if im being honest i would loe to get then kinda.. just because.. yeah im a sappy romantic i'll admit it. I but him things, nothing major but ill bein the shops and i'll see something he likes and just picks them up, normally jellies or beer. But its not what is bought, its the fact you are being thought of. Feck it it could be a nutragous bar and id be happy!

Someone has been at the sherry and is a smushy drunk! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Na just typing to fast, god i can't spell! Ah well i can't have everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Love, love, love, fresh flowers... Used to get them all the time and now I buy them myself every week:rolleyes: If he fucks up I get them.. which isn't that often;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Jules wrote: »
    But it's not what is bought, its the fact you are being thought of.

+1 to that Jules.

I said earlier in the thread that flowers werent really for me. But I think I'd appreciate different kind of gestures. A reminder that you're thought of I suppose.

Again, it doesnt matter how minute the thing is. Its the sentiment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

I was given 21 red roses on my 21st birthday, it made me smile anyways. Flowers are nice on a special occasion from a guy. And they're nice to brighten up the house. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I get them and love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My bf used to bring me flowers once a week before we lived together, he knows I love to have them about the place. It must be at least a year since I last had any. He's bought my mother flowers more recently then me!

He has been reminded of this! So we'll see what happens over the next few days.

Jules, you just reminded me that I still have the petals from the first red roses that I have from Smccarrick somewhere and we still have our wedding bouquet...so flowers are the gift that last and last. You can smell the last flowers that he got me all over the living room :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I send my wife flowers at least once every 4-6 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

I love getting (and receiving) flowers I have to say. They always make me smile. In fact Im not feeling brilliant at the mo, so think I need to buy myself some:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭A racy brainrot

I remember the first time, and only :( time i received flowers.
    I was in hosp, just for routine, but a family member sent them to me.

I had to sign for them and eveything !! It was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

ya ive recieved flowers on a few occasions over the years. one time was for my 21st and my bf got me 10 roses. and a friend at the party said was he too cheap to buy 12?? (they were american so i didn't get it seriously). then another time i came home from hols after my ex (boyfriend at the time) passed his finals to find a big bunch of flowers on the bed. him thanking me for helping him through out the year. i loved them. the rest of the time i got flowers were just for valentines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Last bf sent a few huge boquets to my house, although I think that it was after we broke up, can't remember. Flowers are nice, but I'd rather a guy hand me a singular flower than send a whole load, think its kinda impersonal to have them delivered or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I just love being given flowers. And I'm lucky in that they've been bought for me quite a lot. I'll often buy a bunch for my friends or family on a whim.

Although, I recently bought a bunch for a friend who married 'well' only to discover that there were fresh cut flowers all over her house when I got there. My bunch of gerberas looked a bit pathetic.

Advertisement