Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 2 Help on Windows Vista

Options
  • 27-06-2008 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have installed Battlefield 2 on my Windows Vista desktop. I know for sure it meets the mininum system requirements, but when I try to load the game up, a little window opens up with the Battlefield 2 symbol, then the screen turns black for like 1 second then it goes back to the desktop. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

chood1994 wrote: »
    I have installed Battlefield 2 on my Windows Vista desktop. I know for sure it meets the mininum system requirements, but when I try to load the game up, a little window opens up with the Battlefield 2 symbom, then the screen turns black for like 1 second then it goes back to the desktop. Any suggestions?

Make sure it's patched to 1.41 first before trying anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 chood1994

I already patched it and it still didn't work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I already patched it and it still didn't work.

Are you an admin on the machine?

yes I am, and I even clicked "run as admin"

yes I am, and I even clicked "run as admin"

What refresh rate is your desktop set to?

• Advertisement

how do you find that out?

how do you find that out?

Right click the desktop, choose properties, choose settings, hit the advanced button, and the the monitor tab. The dropdown menu should say the current refresh rate.

it sais 60 hertz

it sais 60 hertz

Have you an up to date DirectX 9.0C? The latest one is the June 2008 release.

I have Windows Vista which comes with DirectX 10

• Advertisement

I have Windows Vista which comes with DirectX 10

DirectX 10 and 9 are separate libraries. Vista includes both. Updates to 9.0C are provided in newer files with names like d3d9_25.dll and upwards.

So what do I need to do??

So what do I need to do??

Run the DXwebsetup.exe from here to update your DX9.0c install.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en

Ok it's installing right now so should it work after I install that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Do you have the latest video card drivers installed? If not try install them and see if it works,

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Do you have the latest video card drivers installed? If not try install them and see if it works,

Nick

I have the latest already installed

I have the latest already installed

What video card is it?

I don't know for sure if this is my video card, but I think this is it:

Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

After a bit more research, the Intel G33/31 doesn't support vertex shaders or Transforms&Lighting in hardware. With the 15.8 drivers onwards (15.9 being the current from last May) it will apparently run according to Intel. The performance is appalling, and you'll need to stick to low detail and low res.

• Advertisement

So I should be able to run the game now?

Edit: after trying to start the game again, it still doesn't work. I still have the same problem as listed on the first post.

At this point, his video drivers are at the current latest 15.9 video drivers from Intel, which are mentioned by Intel as supporting BF2.

We've tried removing the profiles folder.
    We've tried changing refresh rates and resolutions, both matching and deliberately differing from the desktop.
    Firewalls and antivirus have been turned off.
    DirectX 9c is up to date with the June 2008 runtime.
    The little diag.exe tool in the BF2 folder runs without incident.

If anyone's got any suggestions I'd like to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Sometimes the game takes a hissy fit at your native resolution for no apparent reason, try the following:

Run the following:
    "C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024
    Create a copy of the current BF2 shortcut and right click on the copy, there should be a shortcut tab and append the '+menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024' with out the single quotes after the "Target:" text . I dont run Vista so the properties window might be layed out a bit differently

Taken from http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_7.html : Command Line section.

If the game does start (and this usually gets around problems wrt native resolutions) go into the options/graphics section and set all to low. Start the game up as you normally would, should work if your hardware is supported.

Advertisement