Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

collecting a jap imprt!

Options
  • 27-06-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

In the process of buying a jap import but not too sure what the best way to collect it is? I clearly cant drive it home(150 miles). Looking into maybe borrowing/renting a car trailer(if possible) but the whole not having a tow-bar then creates a problem.
    Does anybody have any ideas of what i should do??
    All help appreciated!
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gubbie wrote: »
    I clearly cant drive it home(150 miles

I assume you dont mean from Japan? Because it's a lot more than 150 miles.

Why cant you drive it home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

i cant drive it home because it willa riive in dublin port with no plates on it, i wont have the vrt done, no tax, no nct, and no insurance! any ideas!??

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i cant drive it home because it willa riive in dublin port with no plates on it, i wont have the vrt done, no tax, no nct, and no insurance! any ideas!??

Can you not insure it on the VIN? Then drive straight to the VRO?

Sure it'll have to make its way to a VRO down your own way anyway so unless you bring it on a trailer you'll have to drive it.

What's the VIN? would it cover me to drive it home?
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

if you know anyone with trade insurance they can drive it home for you ,once they bring their traders reg plates with them (green plates)you could always ask around if you dont know anyone that has all this and maybe give them a few bob for the hassle.

just an idea:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIN

Usually found engraved somewhere in the engine bay or if it's a Opel or Ford, it maybe displayed in the corner of the front windscreen.

markos 79, ya my buddy drove his home on the green p[lates but his brother had to "borrow" them if ya know what i mean! how would i go about gettin them? just ask round and rack my brains for people i know!??
    nice one for the help!

markos 79, ya my buddy drove his home on the green p[lates but his brother had to "borrow" them if ya know what i mean! how would i go about gettin them? just ask round and rack my brains for people i know!??
    nice one for the help!

You need to work in a garage to get them usually.

cheers lads any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

I clearly cant drive it home(150 miles).

Not that clear actually...

Why not insure it on the chasis number then drive it. No reg plate isn't great but you have to get it from A to B. As long as you get it VRT'ed pretty quick smart and get plates on it I don't think it will be a problem.

• Advertisement

What car is it just as a matter of interest?

anyone with a small garage or a private trader might help you out ,if not you might have to "borrow" them again some how :D

So should i get onto my ins. company? ive a contact in hibernian so he'd prob be my best bet. Will try for the green plates too though. Glanza S. Fairly standard but she's nice.

if the car aint to old you could always "borrow" the plates off your existing car or someones car thats close to the year of the car your importing.

ps this could be illegal:D:D:D

highly illegal! Curernt car's 03 and new one's is a 97. green plates sounds like the job tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Get a reputable car transport company such as NVD or someone to move it around, that way it'll be insured while in transit, and it'll be in safe hands.

A mate of mine imports a lot of stuff and always uses NVD !

cheers amn what kinda price we talkin you know?? all these extra and hidden costs to importin are a death, happy i didnt rush into anythin now!

NVD might be good for people importing a few cars at a time but i doubt it would be value for money for just the one car to be honest id say it would cost a pretty penny!

absolutely, what i was thinkin, gonna hafta try the green plates, throw it on a trailer, or insure it under the chasis no.

id try to get the green plates first then if that fails id try insuring it on the chasis no but that will depend on how kind your insurance company are.

good luck with it anyways gubbie.;)

• Advertisement

thanks bud. Wouldnt get free help like that anywhere else!
    Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Even if you can insure it by the chassis your still looking for trouble if your stopped seen as you wont be displaying anything,given the chance id say a guard would happily take the car from under you even though your only collecting it.

Basically you need trade plates and insurance too,but if you were to chance it with insurance only maby get plates made with the vin and stick them in the front and back,at least if your stopped you can point out that you were identifiable by the vin as the car will be regged to you.

Also dont write off nvd without calling,they were picking up from the docks and delivering my car (circa 30 miles) for €100 + vat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

markos79 wrote: »
    id try to get the green plates first

I wouldn't, whats the point of going to the hassle or risking getting busted.

I insured my Skyline on the chasis/VIN (a few years ago) and drove it home (and around for a few days if I'm honest...).
    So should i get onto my ins. company? ive a contact in hibernian so he'd prob be my best bet. Will try for the green plates too though.

Just call your insurer, or a few of them, any of them should cover you no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭m2wua0ox56iz93

This post has been deleted.

TJJP wrote: »
    I wouldn't, whats the point of going to the hassle or risking getting busted.

I insured my Skyline on the chasis/VIN (a few years ago) and drove it home (and around for a few days if I'm honest...).

Just call your insurer, or a few of them, any of them should cover you no bother.

getting busted for what i said try and get somebody that has plates to collect the car for the man whats hassle about that?

you can swap the insurance over from the car you have now.

go on the rebels!!!!ha ha:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Yes you can

1. Go to the VRO office
    2. Ask for a letter to cover you to drive the car to the VRO office for inspection
    3. Ring your insurance company transfer your insurance to the car. If they say yes thats fine. They will only do this once in most cases so make sure you drive straight to the VRO office
    You need the letter from the reception of the VRO or the guards will confiscate your car and impound it and will not release ot till its been cleared. Which is fun because the VRO like to inspect cars.

If you do the above your legal. I have done this.

Tips:

• Bring a Stanley knife blade to remove the auction markings on the windscreen.
    • Bring all documentation with you (i mean everything from auction sheets .........). Bring Licence and passport. This will make things easier when you are pulled over.
    • Bring a very warm jacket (i made that mistake)

In the old country:

Make the ****ers chase you they will respect you more! (
    Dr Hunter S Thomson)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why not rent a car trailer from the hire shops. Around 50-100 including ratchet straps.;)

Advertisement