Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDip in Computer Science

Options
  • 27-06-2008 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, I've applied to do the Higher Diploma in computer science in UCD. I've been to the open day and read the brochure etc, but I'd just like to ask if anyone knows how many places are available on this course. Just trying to figure out what my chances of getting in are. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

Could you send me a link for this course please as i cant find it on their website.
    Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Hi I have just finished this course but im sorry to tell you it has been cancelled for this year due to lack of interest. Only 3 people accepted their offers as far as Ive heard. Its quite a shame, the course was great in my opinion. 5 years ago the numbers were very high up to 150 in each class, my year there were only 12. Perhaps contact the school, you should find the details on the UCD website, and see if you can apply in advance for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,131 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wow, I'm doing a similar course in DCU, but was going to apply to UCD if I didn't get in. I'd be well pissed off if I had a place in the course and it was cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

Oh god! That's a shame that it has been cancelled.

I am hoping to do Maynooths equivalent of it next year. Fingers crossed their one goes ahead next year!!! :(

Anyone know if it is possibly to apply for next years courses now, or is that just a silly q?

And when did you all apply for this years postgrad courses?

I left it too late this year. I was told I can still get on the Maynooth one this year, but I cant afford it just yet so I'm going to wait a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 deltas

I am about to apply for this course. Was just wondering if it really was cancelled last year? Anyone have any idea if it will be on this year? It is going to cost 37euro to apply, will suck if the course isn't even on and i've paid :( Really wanted to do this course :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

It was indeed cancelled last year but as far as I know it's set to go ahead this year. If they have enough qualified applicants it will. So at least 13 (thats how many were on mine :) )

After looking at the course pages it seems to have been revamped - more web related modules.. looks great and far more "with it" than when I did it. I would reccomend you apply, it's a good course- I really enjoyed my time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

I just applied for this course and will hopefully get word back soon.

I was just wondering has anyone else applied and also have they been accepted on the course yet? If so, how long did it take for the Uni to get back to you with an offer?

Random Banter - I was just wondering if you got a job after completing the course or did you continue on in education?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 clarnimhurchu

Hi Bobon,

I applied for the HDip in Computer Science in UCD about 2 weeks ago. I got an offer by post last week, and accepted it this week. However, I've just been accepted to do a Higher Diploma in Applied Science (Modeling and Numerical Computing) in UCC, so I think I might do that instead! It looks way more specific!

I don't know what the job prospects are, but it looks like the computer science course does bring you beyond basic, and that's always good. There just seems to be more programming involved in the maths course in Cork, so I'd like that better, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 deltas

Hi Bobon,
    I applied last week too. Rang them up today to check if they got my application. They said that the chair of the course is away so we might have to wait a week or two to find out if we have been accepted. Good Luck! Hope to see you in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Clarnimhurchu - Thanks for your info. The course in Cork sounds very interesting.

Deltas - I also rang the college yesterday morning and was told exactly the same thing. Hope to see you in September too....and possibly you Clarnimhurchu :)

Advertisement