Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speeds with Eircom

Options
  • 27-06-2008 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm only getting speeds around 350kps off eircom's 2mb package. I've tried using the troubleshooting on eircom's website and still no joy.

I have tried resetting tcp/ip settings, restarting the router, turning off my firewall, changing the channel on the router.

I have the package about a week and i have seen speeds as high as 1700kps on speedtest but only once or twice. Here are my stats from my router page,
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 28.80 24.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 31.00 17.50
    CRC Errors 0 0

Is there anything else i can try to get the speed over 1mb before i ring eircom?

Just before i posted this i got this result from speedtest,

289303669.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

There could be a fault in the exchange. Maybe you could try unplugging any other equipment in the house leaving only the bb modem plugged in and see does it make a difference. Is there a monitored alarm in the house.This can also affect speed. I normally get around 1600 on a 2 mb package.

289319987.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I presume since you have said that you have changed the channel the router is on that you are using it wireless? Try physically connecting it to the router and see if there is any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

pbarr wrote: »
    There could be a fault in the exchange. Maybe you could try unplugging any other equipment in the house leaving only the bb modem plugged in and see does it make a difference. Is there a monitored alarm in the house.This can also affect speed. I normally get around 1600 on a 2 mb package.

289319987.png

It is the only thing plugged in, haven't got around to getting a phone with it yet i was only interested in the BB. I've no alarm either.
    I presume since you have said that you have changed the channel the router is on that you are using it wireless? Try physically connecting it to the router and see if there is any change.

Yeah i'll try that when i get home later and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

If physically plugging it in dont work you'll have to phone eircomnet, if they can't fix it over the phone they will send someone out. If its a fault in the network he will have to send the report to a support team based in Citywest in Dublin for sorting. Speed issues are usually dealt with by this team after the line is checked first locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

290000925.png

Ok i've tried just using a wired connection and got the result above, its a slight improvement but still not good enough. I'll just ring eircom and see if the problem is there end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

judging by your ping times it looks like contention problems at the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭jocky

ya,

I have a 3 meg line and for almost 2 months now and loads of phone calls i am still in the same situatuion. slow speeds............. i have checked and done everything and finally last week they said it is due to congestion in the exchange.
    well that is no good to me, i have 2.6 GB connection early in the morning but when i get home after work my speed is 380 kb average.
    they are still selling this package in my area and still charging me for a 3mb when i average 380 kb. there must be some ombudsman out there??
    com reg i think is my next point of contact

Advertisement