Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cavanaghs pub

• 27-06-2008 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what is happening with Cavanaghs? I read reports that it was opening up again a few weeks ago but have heard nothing since

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

I heard similar rumors aswell. I was neve in it. What's it like? It wouldbe nice to see another bar in the town, especially after a refit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

DenMan wrote: »
    I heard similar rumors aswell. I was neve in it. What's it like? It wouldbe nice to see another bar in the town, especially after a refit.

Cavanaghs and the Adelaide belong to the same person. Does anyone know who this person is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Can't think off hand the person's name but he is from Dromahair.

I would like to see Cavanaghs re-open; good spot for a pub and would be somewhere different to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

His name is McGoldrick. It wouldn't really need a refit as it was only open a year or two from new. It's really nice inside, especially the front part, with black and white tiled floors, nice polished timber bar and a spiral staircase.
    With Hargadons reopened, it'd bring some life back to that part of town at night (the right type of life, not the low life).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

il gatto wrote: »
    His name is McGoldrick. It wouldn't really need a refit as it was only open a year or two from new. It's really nice inside, especially the front part, with black and white tiled floors, nice polished timber bar and a spiral staircase.
    With Hargadons reopened, it'd bring some life back to that part of town at night (the right type of life, not the low life).

yeah its McGoldrick

Cavanaghs turned into a right dive before it closed

• Advertisement

Has it attracted the wrong crowd in the past?

Happens alot of pubs that have just opened. Before they get a settled bunch of regulars, the undesireables swoop where they're not known. There is nothing about it which would attract the wrong crowd really. No juke box, no pool table, no T.V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

No juke box, no pool table, no T.V.

WTF?

Bit of a generalisation there?

I'm quite happy in a pub with a T.V. or a pool table. I'm also quite happy in one that has nothing. I usually find the less "entertainment" a pub has, the older crowd go to for a chat. I don't mean the wrong crowd is from a partivcular socio-economic group. I just mean young fellas with a bad attitude who are loud and likely to cause trouble. They could be anyone, but you usually don't find them in the likes of Shoot's, McLaughlin's, McLynn's or Furey's, whereas you do find them in the Leitrim, McHugh's and the like. Cavanagh's is a pub in the former style, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I really like where Cavanaghs is situated and would like to see a pub in the centre of O'Connell Street as I think that part of town has gone very quiet. There is not much of a selection for pubs in Sligo so it would be good to have a bit more competition; I'm sick of Belfry/McHughs. It also would be handy for before/after the Bistro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Having drank in Cavanaghs a few times before it closed I have to say it had the worst pints in town. They were consistantly bad, which is why my mates and I stopped drinking there, so if they managed to fix that it would be a great pub but until they do I aint drinkin there...

Having drank in Cavanaghs a few times before it closed I have to say it had the worst pints in town. They were consistantly bad, which is why my mates and I stopped drinking there, so if they managed to fix that it would be a great pub but until they do I aint drinkin there...

Hmm. So are the pints in the Adelaide! Pattern here?

I always seemed to get a good pint of Carlsberg in The Adelaide whenever I was in just to waste a bit of time. The Guinness in there was truly awful it has to be said. Half of the pint was the white head before it was taken back quickly and replaced. Not recommended. Same owner you say!!!

Yep

Thanks for the info, let's hope so. It sounds really good and very promising for the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Good luck to the new people in Cavanaghs... They'll need it.
    I for one wouldn't like to be taking over a pub in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Just came across this really old post, just wondering has Cavanaghs ever opened since, I drank in it once years ago, it was a lovely place..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nope. It's up on Daft for sale/rent and has been for quite some time as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I have lived in Sligo since 2006. Don't recall it ever being open during that time.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I have lived in Sligo since 2006. Don't recall it ever being open during that time.
    I thought it re-opened briefly in 2012 but I could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

On the topic of pubs re-opening etc.., what happened McHughs - the last mention of it on here was it was due to re-open on Paddy's Day last year.

marvin80 wrote: »
    On the topic of pubs re-opening etc.., what happened McHughs - the last mention of it on here was it was due to re-open on Paddy's Day last year.
    Not sure what is happening with McHughs, I know when it was closed it was part of a chain of pubs that fell into trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

It's due to open in March. Some lads from Donegal taking it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Henlars67 wrote: »

Good to hear.
    Liked the pub and hopefully it'll do well again.

McHughs or Cavanaghs is reopening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Cavanaghs. Can't see McHughs ever opening again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It's still up on daft.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Cavanaghs. Can't see McHughs ever opening again

why not?

Advertisement