Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Notes

• 27-06-2008 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

1. I need a bigger capacity roaster.

2. I need to remember to roast some decaf.

3. A naked portafiler is cool - but is it better?

4. I want to convert my Mazzer to doserless but it is ****ing expensive.

5. Sierra Nevada Bigofoot ale smells great but only tastes ok.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

1. Have you looked into the Behmor 1600?

2. Why the interest in decaf?

3. Probably not, mine's in transit along with some glass shot cups though. I'm waiting on the new cups to tune the OPV mod. I want to get a look at the full espresso before and after (will take pictures/videos).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

1. Not available in 230v yet.
    2. Something to drink in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    3. A naked portafiler is cool - but is it better?

I think so. I've used both now. There's not a lot in it but the things I like about the naked portafilter are:

You get a clear view of flow rate fairly quickly.
    It leaves more room for a bigger cup / mug underneath the portafilter.
    There is less metal to heat / lose heat to.
    It looks FANTASTIC when you get a shot right.
    It's very clear when you've screwed up a shot (which the normal portafilter may mask somewhat).
    4. I want to convert my Mazzer to doserless but it is ****ing expensive.

It is. Also, switching grind levels on the mazzer (my one at least) by more than 2 or 3 adjustments with beans in the hopper is fairly difficult. Still, I'm looking forward to it.

Here's a cheap mod I found a while back. To overcome the clumping, the mazzer kit uses a mesh (I'll post a photo of this in the other thread when I do the mod) that you could manufacture yourself without too much hassle. edit: here's a pic of the mesh.

edit: I also saw another mod that uses an inverted 2L bottle. Worked well except for static. I think the guy overcame the static issue, but it involved a fair bit of effort.

Khannie wrote: »
    I think so. I've used both now. There's not a lot in it but the things I like about the naked portafilter are:

You get a clear view of flow rate fairly quickly.
    It leaves more room for a bigger cup / mug underneath the portafilter.
    There is less metal to heat / lose heat to.
    It looks FANTASTIC when you get a shot right.
    It's very clear when you've screwed up a shot (which the normal portafilter may mask somewhat).

But my thinking is that the preheated metal beneath the filter basket helps keep the brew temp more stable. Also if you want to do two singles at a time.

Naked is great though for diagnosing problems, like channelling. This was a major issue for me with Oscar. Never a big problem with the Classic though.

Khannie wrote:
    It is. Also, switching grind levels on the mazzer (my one at least) by more than 2 or 3 adjustments with beans in the hopper is fairly difficult. Still, I'm looking forward to it.

Here's a cheap mod I found a while back. To overcome the clumping, the mazzer kit uses a mesh (I'll post a photo of this in the other thread when I do the mod) that you could manufacture yourself without too much hassle. edit: here's a pic of the mesh.

edit: I also saw another mod that uses an inverted 2L bottle. Worked well except for static. I think the guy overcame the static issue, but it involved a fair bit of effort.

If I do any mod it will be the one you do (after seeing how you find it).

How successful were you today?

How successful were you today?

:confused: I didn't do any modding today (and hadn't planned to 'til the proper bracket arrives). Or do you mean making coffee?

• Advertisement

:confused: I didn't do any modding today (and hadn't planned to 'til the proper bracket arrives). Or do you mean making coffee?
    Yeah - making coffee...

Yeah, not bad yesterday. Pretty decent this morning. Had 4 doubles today. A little wired. I'm getting the hang of it alright.

Had 4 doubles today. A little wired. I'm getting the hang of it alright.

4 doubles...

*checks time*

0936hrs

What?

Yeah, not bad yesterday. Pretty decent this morning. Had 4 doubles today. A little wired. I'm getting the hang of it alright.

4 doubles and it's only 9:30, rofl. I was like that yesterday evening, had visitors, made coffee, had more visitors etc.

Yeah....been up since around 7am thanks to my lovely daughter. She has no consideration. None!

I was banjaxed when I got up so I put 2 in a mug of americano first, then two separately. Nyom. Still a bit wired, but considering another now.

edit: I must admit that I hadn't really considered how early it was. 4 doubles by 9.30 is a bit excessive alright. After some consideration I think I'll have decaf for this next one.

• Advertisement

Bottomless portafilter diameters:

The Iberital tamper I have is a 57mm. Time to seek out a 58 if possible, don't want channeling around the sides. The pour from the filter doesn't indicate it currently but still...

Also, order the steam wand.

Diameter of the portafilter or the basket?
    It's the basket you need to measure.
    You could get a Reg Barber - they'll make a 58.3mm one for you.

Yeah, it's the inside basket dimensions. Excellent, thanks I'll get on to them tomorrow. Going now to re-check dimensions.

Beware though - they're not cheap.

I know, I've looked before. I'm not getting channeling at the moment so that will affect the final decision.

I have no self control :(

\0/

Cool.

cart_h_short_bubinga.jpgcart_b_st.jpg

Flat or convex?

Flat. Opinions?

• Advertisement

6 of 1 on flat vs convex. I've only ever used flat.

Looks the business.

The Iberital I've been using is convex so it'll be interesting to see if this has any impact. Doubt I'll see a difference though.

The main reason I bought it was to avoid the 'tap' after the first tamp, it can dislodge the grinds from the side of the basket which could cause channeling.

Any sign of Reg?

Not yet. I'll see if I can find anything out about a delivery date.

Shipped on the 18th, 10 days delivery - should have it towards the end of next week.

Arrived.

Snug.. bug.. rug.. etc.

Could have maybe gone for 58.5 but very happy all the same. The coffee isn't hugging the wall post-tamp so all's good. As an aside, it's still too small for the gaggia's basket, a 59 would be closer to the mark there I'd say.

One thing though, I was able to store the iberital tamper upside-down or even downside-up (if you get my meaning) to protect the tamper finish, I'll have to buy a mat to protect it the Reg.

The new steam wand should be here the end of the week.

Advertisement