Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeoff and ascent

Options
  • 28-06-2008 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Right I don't know if this question is stupid or not but if it is I apologise.
    Anyway

Is it true that a plane which will gradually build up speed on takeoff climb to its cruising altitude
    than a plane that just puts the foot down?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

hunter164 wrote: »
    Anyway

Is it true that a plane which will gradually build up speed on takeoff climb to its cruising altitude

Thanks
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Anyway

Thanks

Am Hunter can you say it better? You mean Does ACFT "A" get there quicker than ACFT "B"? If you want to get technical about it, what kind of Aircraft are we talking about? F15E? 737?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

haha

Yes.

Commercial airliners operate on a VNAV/LNAV system. VNAV means vertical navigation. On the climb and descent there are altitude restrictions in place, which it will meet. It, in collaberation with the autothrottle will climb the aircraft and later descend it.

For takeoff TOGA (Takeoff/Go around) power is selected, at around 2000 feet climb power. USUALLY an ECON climb is at around 300kts indicted......max rate climb 260 indicated.

Why you asking? Afraid you're next flight is gonna fall out of the sky?

:confused:

Lol i just posted the same as you but without an emoticon!:pac:

Steyr wrote: »
    Am Hunter can you say it better? You mean Does ACFT "A" get there quicker than ACFT "B"? If you want to get technical about it, what kind of Aircraft are we talking about? F15E? 737?:)

To comment on that.....depends on cruising speed but also winds which affects groundspeed

Average cruise speed on a commercial jet is from .77 mach to .90 mach (747's and 767's can only reach higher speeds). With no wind thats around 500kts groundspeed

In general, winds blow-east west across europe. To give an example, this week they are so and particularly strong. I flew Warsaw-Cork and back in the sim yesterday. The WAW-CRK sector took 3 hrs 20 mins due to a strong headwind....the return took 50 mins less in comparison :) due to the tailwind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

No right i was flying with Ryanair last week.And they just seemed to take ages to reach cruising.That was leaving Dublin with a strong tailwind btw.But any other airline I've gone with seems to reach it quicker.

Sorry for causing confusion.

No worries Hunter, Welcome to Aviation And Aircraft:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

No right i was flying with Ryanair last week.And they just seemed to take ages to reach cruising.That was leaving Dublin with a strong tailwind btw.But any other airline I've gone with seems to reach it quicker.

To answer your question, If there is a method of saving fuel whether its take off or cruising Ryanair would know all about it. They have cost cutting in all aspects down to a fine art.

Going where.......and how long was ages? Could have been an ATC restriction.

On a recent AGP-SNN flight of mine we were left at level 280 until we passed overhead Madrid! Only at that stage were we cleared to cruise at 360

Was heading to Stansted also took a while climbing on the way home aswell.

• Advertisement

How long approx did the climb take....I'm not being pedantic

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Is there noise abatement procedures in and around Dublin?

...while speaking of noise...has anyone ever witnessed Concorde taking off??....now theres noise.

There are certain noise abatement proceedures...the Jeppesen charts details it

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Don't forget to take in to consideration that if the aeroplane was heavier ( ie full of pax and fuel ) it will notably affect the climb rate. If it's an exceptionally warm day ( density altitude, yada yada ) aswell there will be a reduction in ROC.

The SID & STAR's take noise abatement into account aswell so as not to upset the tree huggers too much.

Ah right thanks for the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Coming out of Doha last month the climb to cruising altitude took over an hour - don't know if there were restrictions as it was a 1.30 am flight but it made for a very smooth take-off - it wasn't a hold and then climb but a gradual increase with no holding. Don't know if this is regular but an hour seemed longer than normal

Advertisement