Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Digital Recording device

Options
  • 28-06-2008 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Yo,
    Looking for a device, which I can plug a normal 3.5mm jack into, To record audio (from a live music event) onto. It'd need to be hard-drive/flash-card based, as opposed to tape/mini-disc, etc.

The reason is, is that when my mate is gigging, I'm usually the cameraman but as the camcorder won't get decent audio (unless you goto the back of the room), I'm going to try to get a gadget that I can hook up to the main speaker system, to record a clearer sound.

For those that have been there, I'll be recording at Fibbers sometimes, and due to the proximity of the speakers, sound/feedback is a problem. In past gigs, sound was extremely bad, unless I did the sound from the back of the room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

any laptop will do it. and a ipod with a special accessory will also do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not going to buy a laptop for this, and ditto with the iPod. Actually, how much would a cheapo iPod cost, and would this be straight of of the box, or including add-ons?

Looking for something under the €100 mark, that I can plug into a PC at a later fate, and copy stuff off.

Someone mentioned a "4 track", but so far haven't found one that can be recorded onto :(

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

you could get the digital voice recorders (they have them in argos). there around €100. you just have to ensure it has a mic in connector as well as the normal on board mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

If your serious about getting clear sound go for a decent recorder, not a crappy mic on a media player.

I'd suggest go the extra mile and get the following for 200e:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/boss_micro_br_bundle.htm

Everything you need right there, and you could plug it straight into the mixer. Its a simple and easy to use model, very portable and quality sound.

All "4-tracks" can be recorded onto, thats the whole point of one!! :D
    I'd suggest Boss for decent sound, depends on how serious you are with getting good sound, otherwise you could go for cheaper Zoom or Tascam recorders.

Google "multitrack compact studios", and when you have one sussed search for a review on www.harmony-central.com, really accurate and up to date reviews for almost every recorder out there. Big community.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

stevire wrote: »
    I'd suggest go the extra mile and get the following for 200e:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/boss_micro_br_bundle.htm

Everything you need right there, and you could plug it straight into the mixer. Its a simple and easy to use model, very portable and quality sound.
    Looks like what I'd be going for. Ended up recording straight to the camera, but ended up with getting the left guitar on loud, the other two and the drums esp on the low side. The mic came in alright, but still, not great. Couldn't lower it down much, as the peaks (I think they're called) were outside the recording area, so not great.

Only bad thing about the above gadget is that I'd have to shell another €60 for a 16GB memory card, but still, not too bad. May pick one up over in the states.

Question, though, would it allow me to pick up high volume? On the lowest, the volume came in as _VERY_ high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I'd be careful about 16gb cards. They're SDHC, and a lot of SD components doesnt support the High Capacity cards, including some of the latest mobile phones. 8gb would be a safer option, why would you need more?? 8gb should be loads of recording time.

Check with the Boss website or forums for confirmation of the support.

Not sure what you mean by picking up high volume?? You can adjust the volumes of the inputs at the time of recording or after the recording. How do you plan on using the recorder? I presume the band are using a mixer to produce their sound through a PA system. There should be a spare output from the mixer to allow you to plug the recorder in.

Advertisement