Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Planet

Options
  • 28-06-2008 2:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know anything about this place just at the top of Thomas St(well close enough, take a right and head down towards Living Art, it has big green shop front). Drove past it today but didnt get a chance to get a decent look. Is it a shop or a LAN thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I think its one of those shops that people play games with cards and toy soldiers etc....a really nice looking shop from the outside think there was a shop like it or maybe its relocated in lower gerald griffan street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Its an online gaming shop. They have popular games installed and you can play online or play over LAN with other people in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

steveon wrote: »
    I think its one of those shops that people play games with cards and toy soldiers etc....a really nice looking shop from the outside think there was a shop like it or maybe its relocated in lower gerald griffan street

no thats the gathering, were people in tshirts with dragons on them bond by arguing over which levels their wizards are at and debating what it feels like to kiss a girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

The Game Planet place is a new LAN gamining place. Reminds me of the FrontierX days as a youth. Amazing set up in there, I was in there about two weeks ago, there's about 15 360's and about 10 PS3's all networked. Each console has it's own 28" HD screen. There's also 6 monster PC's for PC gaming too. It's a fiver an hour which isn't too bad. Only drops to 4 if your a member though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Might pop in tomorrow when im in town and check it out. What sort of games have they for the 360?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 daradona10

Hi there everybody. I'm the manager of Game Planet In Wickham Street Limerick. Just to let you know that we currently have 11 xbox's and 5 ps3's along with 5 PC stations which are very powerful which can also play 'Crysis' on it which demands a very powerful computer in order to play on it. We have pretty much every game available but if we don't then we try to get it in if there is a demand for it. Yes we have the fatest broadband speed in town to allow our gamers uninterupted online gaming plus we also cater for LAN gaming also. We will soon be providing forthcoming promotions and also tournaments on certain games over both formats which we hope to get up and running in August but feel free to put your name down if you are interested. We have the sheets in store. Please feel free to provide any questions or feedback that you may have or drop in to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Hi Daradona ,

Just what this town needed ..... about 3 months ago , when I was first asked if I could organise a lan for about 20-30 people :( . ... it would hardly have been suitable though as we would have needed more pc's . I can fully understand the kitting out with xbox and ps3 over pc , I am just not sure that the lan crowd are console based but maybe I am behind the times . I will drop in the next time I am in town and maybe enquire about prices .

btw , do ye have a website and forums ? I presume so but if not it would be a good idea and there is also a thread in the lan forums where you can advertise your business ...pm the guy in the first post to get added .

Good luck with the venture .

John

Thanx for your reply. Yes I agree we are console based but we realise the demand for the PC's based gaming is massive but since place is small we could only fit 5 but not to worry, I am in middle of converting the place next door that will be just PC based and will cater for the serious gamers but it will be sometime hopefully before christmas before we open. I know it's a long bit away but we want to do it right and provide a comfortable environment. I will keep you updated over the coming months how it is progressing. We currently have over 30 titles at the moment for the PC in Game Planet but in new premises we will have everything that the gamer wants. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Hey fair play on opening the place, i loved the xbox live gaming centre up in dublin city centre, it was great, we had a huge lan party there for about 5 hours, great craic, looking forward to something similar here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

cant wait for the fifa 2009 tournament if thats what u guys might be working towards..

• Advertisement

Stab*City wrote: »
    cant wait for the fifa 2009 tournament if thats what u guys might be working towards..

lol @ fifa.....

Pro Evo pwns fifa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

lol @ fifa.....

Pro Evo pwns fifa

lol @ Pro Evo

Sensible Soccer pwns Pro Evo

T0 let you know for summer we are running a special promotion till end of august. NON- Members €4 an hr and Members €3.50 an hr or u can play all day for €20. Our website will be coming soon with list of tournaments and upcoming new PC Gaming centre which will hope to have open b4 christmas and will be able to cater for large LAN gaming parties. Watch this space. Please feel free to ask questions or send feedback. We appreciate all comments from avid gamers and public. Thanks

When should the tournaments be starting?

We are hoping mid to end of August. we are trying to get people to sign up so we have to get the numbers first. so far the fifa08 on xbox is the most popular so far. we r looking at call of duty 4, halo 3 and pro evo also. u can email ur number (mobile) along with ur name and which tournament u wud like to enter on whatever console and also if ud like us to consider some other game tournament.

We are hoping to start within a few weeks. We may wait for new fifa 09 to come out in October before we go ahead as some people prefer to wait along with new pro evolution. We will also have a GTA 4 tournament due to massive interest in the online gaming mode. Drop by or send a line to me at daradona@hotmail.com if you have any other queries. Cheers

Gamers
    To let ye know that we will be hosting our first halo 3 and call of duty 4 tournaments this Saturday 20th sept at 12 noon. elimination runs from 12 noon to 2 pm before the knockout stages. entry is free. prizes will be given out. it is on a first come, first served basis. throughout the year tournaments will be bigger and prizes will be greater. u can email me if u wish to participate. both competitions will be on xbox 360 console.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I would love to participate in the H3 tournament, but I'm away this weekend.
    Found where the place is last Sunday anyway {new to Limerick}, looked nice from the outsite {for a building so green there's no M.Chief on the sign :p}.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

This is a great idea to be honest but how does a place like Game Planet obtain software license agreements to play popular games on the consoles and PC's. Surely there must have been a legal grounding in terms of having to apply for usage rights to be able to offer video gaming for commercial public use considering video gaming is predominantly used in households?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

might be taking a trip there myself:D

Advertisement