Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Lilian Thuram

• 28-06-2008 2:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=754032

36 year-old Lilian Thuram was fully expected to be unveiled as PSG's first signing of the summer transfer window this lunchtime, however, French football has been rocked by the news that the centre-back will not make the move from Barcelona.

Medical tests revealed that Thuram has a heart problem, the same one that took his brother's life a few years ago.

Thuram told the assembled press: “I am unfortunately holding this press conference not to confirm my move to PSG but announce that doctors detected a cardiac malformation.

"It seems that it is the same disease that my brother had a few years ago and which cost him his life on a basketball court.”

The veteran defender will have tests conducted on his body over the course of the next month that will dictate whether he should continue his career.

All indications point to this being a sad end to the career of one of France's all-time greats and one of the best and most successful defenders of his generation, having made his name with Parma and Juventus, as well as winning the World Cup and European Championship with his country in 1998 and 2000 respectively.

Suspicions were first raised that there might have been a problem with the deal on Thursday evening when PSG released a note to the press dictating that Thuram had not completed his move to the club.

POOR DUDE, and a sad way to end a career.

ps. I know this news is a bit stale at this stage sorry about that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

saw this earlier alright, don't think it was mentioned here though. it's a hard way to have to have to bow out. still, the main thing is that it was discovered before it could do him harm. wonder what he'll do after football? would he go into coaching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Poor bloke,
    Didn't Kanu have a major heart problem and is still playing now? There could be hope yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Better safe than sorry, he's had a good run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad end? More like lucky break. I imagine the older you get with such a condition the more at risk you'd become of suffering heart failure. Also at 36 he's had a good run. His health is the main thing.

Hopefully he'll be OK now that they've discovered the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

y'know i always think of players of 35 or 36 as being 'old', but christ its still only my brothers age. 36 is very young for a serious heart problem. Hope it stays manageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It's a blessing that this has been discovered becasue 1) It'll be treated and 2) He might finally stop playing! He was brutal last year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lillian thuram is/was IMHO the archtypical example of what a modern Centre back should be, he and Alesandro Nesta have been the template for perfection.

Big, strong, intelligent, quick, agile and able to play the ball out of defence.

Players like Ricahrds are breed to be like Thuram and Nesta.

Really damned good player.

First person to say "He was a fullback" gets a slap, because he never was. he just played the position out of nesecity.

Thing is he declined a lot quicker than Nesta!

He's four years older than Nesta though, in fairness.

And he didn't play football untill he was something like 19, which is pretty ****ing impressive, also, peoples bodies age differently, Nesta has been lucky so far that he hasn't lost his pace, thuram lost his about 3 years ago and thats what ****ed him up TBH.

But in the last few years he's been off the pace not just speed wise, but mentally! Things he woulda seen coiming he wasn't catching onto!

• Advertisement

true true, but from the age of 23 to about 33 he was immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

You would imagine that if his brother died of a heart problem, then his would have been detected before now? Maybe its just something that develops. But hes had a good break that he has got it before any harm was done.
    He has a fair haul of medals, and was a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Really sorry to hear this... Such a great player over the years.. I hope that he recovers/gets the proper medical care for this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Officially announced his retirement today.

I was a blessing he had such a long and distinguished career with his condition. Also, a blessing it was detected now...I've had a couple of friends who died of sudden heart attacks while playing the game they loved and of course there's been numerous high profile cases too:( It's so harrowing. Thank God Thuram didn't suffer that fate.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0801/thuraml.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Just as well they discovered it. While its sad to see him end his career in such a manner its better that it won't end in tragedy. Still at 36 many footballers have retired already.
    Here to a long and illustrious career!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Not in anyway doubting the presence of the condition in this case, but having to retire 'injured' can be an everyone's a winner situation. Because the clubs are insured against such an event, the insurance company foots the bill to pay the player for the rest of the contract, so the player gets paid, but the club don't have to do the paying. So older players who have been loyal servants tend to get 'forced to retire due to injury' quite conveniently. Of course that's not the situation in this time, but it just came to mind, having worked with professional teams, some of the ingenious ways the players and clubs used to try and get around providing x-ray/MRI evidence of injury and all that.

Advertisement