Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pics of new Skoda Superb in the flesh

Options
  • 28-06-2008 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

I spotted this whilst on a trip to Slovakia.
    Inside its very Audi-esque - looks like a quality product.
    Any on the roads here yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Jesus, it's actually nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Ya definetely a quality 'looking' product, time will tell...
    If the ride has been improved as in not so vague, this may be a big step for Skoda:eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

don't like it at all, it doesn't flow for me. It looks like someone cut the rear end off a vel satis and stuck in on the back of an octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I very much like the look of this, might pick up a second hand one in a year or two, but Im a big fan of the current one too so maybe a little biased.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

i had a good nose round it........its a nice car - quite stylish.
    you know, if it had'nt a skoda bagde.......blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

copacetic wrote: »
    don't like it at all, it doesn't flow for me. It looks like someone cut the rear end off a vel satis and stuck in on the back of an octavia.
    This is exactly what I thought when I saw the pics. Not mad about it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I spotted this whilst on a trip to Slovakia.
    Inside its very Audi-esque - looks like a quality product.
    Any on the roads here yet?

Thanks for those.Its great not to see just a press picture.I like it.Whats interesting is that this one has only the 16" wheels(Which most of the irish ones will have:rolleyes:) and it still looks well no doubt. I hope the irish one has alloys as standard.It probably wont though.If it did, though, it'd be these alloys on it

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

looks like bmw 5 series lights on the front and mondeo lights on the back . .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

it's sure ugly. The first skoda I didn't like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Looks nice enough but why the hell dont they change that grill and Skoda badge? Lets all of the Skoda's down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Have to say I don't like it. but I will hold back a little until I see it for myself. Still think the C5 is the nicest in this class and price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

it's sure ugly. The first skoda I didn't like.

+1

I looked over the 3 pics, and came back to read the posts expecting distain to be poured all over it, and no, nearly everyone though it looked nice :)

thats the glory of cars, beauty is in the eye of the beholder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Looks great.
    Should be released in UK about now. Price list was announced for the UK market last week..starting at £17 sterling.....but you need to move up to £21k for the really nice models.....ie leather interior, 170bhp TDI engine.

Not released in Ireland til September....no prices either.
    I would estimate that they will be about €43,000 for a nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Was reading a german car mag and it described it as "Die S-klasse von skoda"... The one they had was purple and didn't look the best, but it's ten times nicer in silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot say I like the exterior styling. It looks like the love child between a Saab 9-5 and a Passat imo. Interior is fine though.

While the old one was based on an 11 year old Passat design, the styling was inoffencive. All just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dont like it

doesnt matter they will hardly sell many anyway, i mean who needs a bigger car when you can fit 2 familys in the boot of an octavia :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I dont like it, it does not flow. The more I look at it the uglier it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »
    I cannot say I like the exterior styling. It looks like the love child between a Saab 9-5 and a Passat imo. Interior is fine though.

While the old one was based on an 11 year old Passat design, the styling was inoffencive. All just my opinion though.

The design maybe have been from the older passat, but the chassis was from the current one. If u compare a Suberb to a 2003 model Passat etc. , u'll see the back passenger doors are alot longer on the Superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

It's all about the interior and comfort......it's not the most pretty from the outside, but it still looks elegant.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/cyp/model/superb/interior/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Having seen this car in the flesh, its nice ............errrmmm, for a skoda.........and its the first skoda i think i'd be happy to buy...styling wise.

Inside it was delish..............lovely interior altogether.

Judging by autocar, there are already RHD versions in the UK.They published a review on their site yesterday. I'd say we'll be waiting another while before there over here.If you want to see the various trims over here, head for the national ploughing championships in september i'd say:D.I'd be surprised if they are on dealer forecourts before then, tbh
    It still remains to be seen if skoda will bring the greenline version of the 1.9tdi over here.it doesnt do much alongside say a bmw 318d in terms of polluting less but at 150e road tax in a big car and for the price it'll be doing quite well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Greenline model will be at a huge advantage as only it, the 1.5 Laguna and Mondeo ECOnetic get into 16% VRT. VW has regrettably decided not to import the Passat Bluemotion until next year here even though it went on sale in March in the UK.

On the other hand the Greenline will have that tractor VAG 1.9 TDI under the bonnet....

I'd have serious reservations about 105 bhp being enough for a car that size as well.

I imagine it'll be grand for the laid back motorist. It should be replaced within a year anyway by the 1.6TDI.I believe one of the power outputs of that engine will around 120bhp and this should replace that 1.9 in the passat and superb.
    Speaking of that engine in its highest output, would you expect it to be put in the A4 replacing the 120bhp version of the 2.0TDI??It would be of roughly the same output and almost certainly produces less CO2.
    I always found it strange that that 120bhp version of the 2.0TDI never made its way into the passat and superb.I couldnt work out why VAG made that decision.Maybe it was only a short term engine for the A4??

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I imagine it'll be grand for the laid back motorist. It should be replaced within a year anyway by the 1.6TDI.I believe one of the power outputs of that engine will around 120bhp and this should replace that 1.9 in the passat and superb.
    Speaking of that engine in its highest output, would you expect it to be put in the A4 replacing the 120bhp version of the 2.0TDI??It would be of roughly the same output and almost certainly produces less CO2.
    I always found it strange that that 120bhp version of the 2.0TDI never made its way into the passat and superb.I couldnt work out why VAG made that decision.Maybe it was only a short term engine for the A4??
    Well the larger engine will be under less stress in its life than the smaller engine of the same power. The more power per litre the more reliability risks being compromised. In a heavier car it is going to be required to be worked harder more often so the fact that the 2.0 won't be as stressed out means it should be more durable. Oh and most people who aren't into cars think the more litres = more power aren't going to be impressed with the idea that a premium saloon has only a 1.6 either.

That and the fact that Audi sell the A4 with a 1.8 T 120 bhp engine even though their A3 offers a 1.4 T with 125 bhp.

I'd say the 1.4 TSI in the Passat and Superb won't be the most durable engine ever made somehow. Asking a 1.4 to put out 155 lb ft at only 1500 rpm quite often, and it will be quite often because those cars are so big and heavy is bound o put that engine under a lot of stress in that engine's life.

Lighter cars don't need torque so much so the engine should be fine in lighter VAG vehicles.

I have some of the same reservations about the 1.4.These are turbocharged petrol engines after all but they are not intended to be driven like hot hatches which, undoubtedly some average familymen used to the aul 1.6 naturally aspirated car will drive them like.That said, there is no sign of any major problems yet with the engine in the passat and its been in it for a while.I'd also think the quoted mpg figures would be very hard to reach, more so than other cars of the size

I'd also have reservations about the fact that it's a direct injection petrol engine.

I just hope direct injection is now reliable. Mitsubishi's GDI direct injection petrol engine can suffer from coking as early as 60k miles. This engine is often found in Volvo S40s from 99-01.

The only thing is that VAG's FSI engines are around for 5-6 years at this stage and I've yet to hear anything to suggest that they are any less reliable than conventional indirect injection petrols, but after what I read about Mitsubishi's GDI engine I really hope the design flaws in the Mitsubishi GDI engine have been eliminated.

The only thing is that the Mitsubishi GDI engine was the very first mass production direct injection petrol in a car, VAG's direct injection engines came at least 6 years after the GDI engine, so that should have given them plenty of time to eliminate any design flaws of the Mitsubishi engine.

Direct injection in petrol engines is a brilliant(if flawed because it produces a small amount of PM which conventional petrols don't) concept; it really can deliver on mpg if you're careful enough with it but I just hope it now is as reliable as a conventional petrol.

Advertisement