Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Junior Championships Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Redgraffle

Wozers.... Brian Gregan through to the 400m final in 46.88secs - 2nd in his semi final (only 1 tenth behind the winner)

Class performance considering he was in the quickest heat (Gregan 6th fastest on paper before race)

Can't wait to see the race !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Wow!

He's a class act! Fair play to him, and best of luck to him in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Larry Cummins

Alan Whelan North Laois has gone out to the World Juniors as cover for the 4 x 400 relay team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Craig Lynch might be a little disappointed he didn't get a callup after his 49.72 in Antrim at the weekend.

Niamh Whelan is through as a fastest loser, 24.02. A nice wind but puts her 13th of the 24 qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Larry Cummins

Call up was based on the National Juniors

Tingle wrote: »
    Niamh Whelan is through as a fastest loser, 24.02. A nice wind but puts her 13th of the 24 qualifiers.

Hurrah! Delighted for her; it must have been soul destroying to have been knocked out of her favoured event in the first round. The conditions were a tad more conducive to good times this time around, relative to the other heats.

Call up was based on the National Juniors

Yeah, and thats the way it should be (I presume the Juniors was touted as a trial). Its just Lynch is probably kicking himself that he didn't move up the previous week, he'd be on the plane in the first place if he did!! Another guy to add to the mix in years to come maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

No joy in the womens 100H heats.

Mariead Murphy 6th: 14.21
    Sandra Lawler 8th: 14.58

Don't forget the T.V coverage starts in a few minutes at 4.30 on Eurosport until 5, then 15 minutes of soccer and back to an hour of athletics...which makes no sense to me, but given the paltry coverage of athletics on T.V this summer, I'm just happy they're showing any!

Pamela Hughes might be shown as her final is kicking off around now, aswell as Gregan's final. I'm afraid he got a poor lane draw in lane 9, but if he keeps his head then anything is possible.

• Advertisement

Rineanna wrote: »
    Pamela Hughes might be shown as her final is kicking off around now, aswell as Gregan's final. I'm afraid he got a poor lane draw in lane 9, but if he keeps his head then anything is possible.

I'm not sure if Gregan on outside is good or bad. He starts so slow anyway but maybe in lane 9 he'll be gripped by the 'fear of the front-runner' and get out harder than normal. If he is close at 300 (say top 5) he is in with a shout but needs to be in contention when we get to business time.

Pamela is out having failed at 1.78.

Fifth for Gregan! Came storming through in the last 100m and nearly caught the Australian for 4th.

46.60.....new NJR!

Brilliant stuff. If he can get his 200m time down to low 21's, he'll be on Gillick's heels in a couple of seasons.

Was he slow out of the blocks as expected?

Crap...he's been disqualified. :mad: I thought he was runninig very close to the line, allright. Balls anyway; why won't anything go our fecking way for once.

As for the race itself, he did go out relatively conservatively, but picked up the pace soon after. Came into the final 100 in 7th place, but blasted his way past two of the athletes.

Rineanna wrote: »
    Crap...he's been disqualified. :mad: I thought he was runninig very close to the line, allright. Balls anyway; why won't anything go our fecking way for once.

As for the race itself, he did go out relatively conservatively, but picked up the pace soon after. Came into the final 100 in 7th place, but blasted his way past two of the athletes.

Bollicks. Hope they are up there appealing the bejaysus out of it.

Heard on the radio that he was 5th and disqualified...thought to myself the only thing that it could of been was running to close to inside line..and so it was. Feck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 woodsie12

An appeal was made and the decision was upheld. and also can i ask who is Larry Cummins??

The curse of the one lap juniors. Joanne Cuddihy was DQ'ed in the European Juniors Final I think and also Tomas Coman made the World Junior final and got injured and couldn't race.

Ciara Mageean 4th in heat with 4:21.73 (PB)
    She qualified in a fastest loser spot.
    Not bad for a 16yr old.

Live TV coverage on Eurosport at 5.15pm

• Advertisement

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Ciara Mageean 4th in heat with 4:21.73 (PB)
    She qualified in a fastest loser spot.
    Not bad for a 16yr old.

Think that makes her fastest European Youth (with a year left in the category) and top 8 in the world. Great running. Who coaches her?

New National Junior Record for our Women's 4x100m team, finishing fourth in their heat in 45.93, which is .02 off the old record set in Mannheim a couple of weeks ago. Interestingly, there was no Niamh Whelan on the team; I hope she isn't injured. Only the top two teams advanced to the final.

The team was Joan Healy on lead off, Steffi Creaner on the back straight, Hanna Lewis on the top bend and Mairead Murphy on anchor.

They finished ahead off the Australian and British quartet, who were disqualified and DNF respectively.

We just missed out on a final spot in the Men's 4x400m relay, but did set a new National Junior Record.

Advertisement