Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting power for US goods

Options
  • 28-06-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hey there, I have an outboard piece of kit coming from the US and I need a convertor to go from our gargantuan 240v to their piddly 110v. Anybody point me in the right direction? And more appropriately for this board, might there be any other issues with using an American piece of kit over here?
    Ta very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

If the unit doesn't actually have a 220v option then you can do 2 things.

Get a 220v to 110v transformer, this needs to have a Wattage spec to at least match your units power consumption or for safety, a bit higher.

If the unit has an external power supply you could source a 220v one locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

300w should be enough for most applications. Guitar amps etc. The sort of thing a builder or carpender would use for power tools works fine. Though I've found that using these traffos can sometimes trip the power when you plug in. Though I suspect replacing the transformer could work out at a similar price.

Most gear is internally switchable anyway, either automatically or by means of a "shunt" across the power transformer in the power supply.

Other gear has a DC input so it's handy enough to pick up a selectable one of those. One thing with these devices it to MAKE SURE the polarity is correct. Plus and Minus etc. Otherwise you could be looking at throwing your new toy in the bin!

US also uses 60Hz AC as opposed to 50Hz here. There's a few arguments around as to whether this is an issue or not. Particularly regarding stuff that uses certain types of clocks and tubes.
    Some talk about amps sounding different on different AC frequencies. I reckon there's a certain amount of snake oil involved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

studiorat wrote: »
    I reckon there's a certain amount of snake oil involved there.
    I think that's true of a lot of talk regarding music gear. I found a step down transformer on Peats site which ticks all the boxes. Thanks for the info.

I think that's true of a lot of talk regarding music gear. I found a step down transformer on Peats site which ticks all the boxes. Thanks for the info.

Once it can supply enough amps, ie it is at least the same as the unit and preferably more.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Once it can supply enough amps, ie it is at least the same as the unit and preferably more.

Yeah check the wattage.

• Advertisement

Watt?

I SAID!!!!!
    THE WATTAGE DEARY!
    WOULD YOU LIKE ANOTHER CUP OF TEA???

No,

I meant the amps times the volts....

Advertisement