Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Affordable b1tchin fast SSDs! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Duck tape.
    skuzzb wrote: »
    Two kittens on each side and some zip ties.

:rolleyes:

seriously though.. maybe conzy can throw together a bunch of brackets for us :D I'll pay €5 a bracket ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

The new Samsung arrives in Specialtech.
    120Mb/sec Read speed
    70Mb/sec Write speed
    3 Year warranty
    SLC
    €138 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

Am I missing something here or is this the deal of the century?
    http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=6277&cat=905&page=1

64GB SLC 130mb/s read 70mb/s write for €140

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Conar wrote: »
    http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=6277&cat=905&page=1

Looks pretty good alright! Now I'm even more tempted :)

Conar wrote: »

Well, they have the 64Gb version for the exact same price as the 32Gb one, so I would say it's a typo :)

Lets try and nab a few when they come into stock before they realise!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Does anybody have the ocz 64 or 32 in stock ? preferably in english

I've sold a load of 360 games and have the cash ready.

Cmon DABS hurry up :)

• Advertisement

Where do you see that? It says "None in stock" for all except the 128Gb one.

MemoryC expects them on the 21st (next Monday)

i bet they all get sold out, i might try my luck with that german site, haven't a clue what anything means but i might get lucky

MooseJam wrote: »
    i bet they all get sold out, i might try my luck with that german site, haven't a clue what anything means but i might get lucky

Hope you end up with a pallet of Pentium 4s

ha it wouldn't surprise me :)

I'm heading away till next Wednesday.
    Just ordered one from MemoryC. I hope its here when I get back.
    I'll post up some benchmarks as soon as it arrives.

just put in an order for one 64 for me and one 32 for the bro at memoryc, hopefully they will get stock on monday

• Advertisement

MemoryC moved their ETA from the 21st to the 30th.

Also, according to my sources, OCZ underestimated the demand and there's a shortage of these SSDs. Apparently 10,000 pieces are coming from the US market to the EU, to cover demand, in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

http://www.maxishine.com.au/documents/ocz_solid_state_drive.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlB8r_0dDlI&feature=user

Well theres a first review.....Velociraptor is raid0 vs a single 128gb.

Im not that impressed!

skuzzb wrote: »
    Im not that impressed!

why not? It pretty much matched the raid 0 velociraptors speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Yeh but I thought it was going to blitz it.....I wonder how they compare to the mtron

Edit
    Ok i hadnt looked at the full specs of the veociraptor....I thought it was only a mild improvment over the old raptors!

Now im impressed!

blitz velociraptors in raid 0, your expectations are way too high dude

• Advertisement

I've said this so many times :(
    It's the access time that makes the difference, not the transfer rate. You can put 5 cheap SATA drives in RAID0 and get 200+ Mb/sec transfer rate, but why does it still feel sluggish?

Try to think about it from a different approach: what made the Raptors so popular? Was it their 70Mb/sec transfer rate? Good 500Gb 7200rpm disks could achieve that too. It was the access time, going down from 10ms to 7ms.
    Now, take the Raptor access time of 6.x ms and compare it with the SSD's 0.x ms, and you see what we are talking about :)

In an ideal world, all data would be written in the same area of any disk, and so when HDTach tells you that the Velociraptor can achieve a 110Mb/sec transfer rate, everything should load very fast.
    However, not all the data that your game/application needs is on the same place; they're usually located in different areas of the disk. A mechanical disk like Raptor would need 6.5ms to get from one point to the other and read the data, effectively translating this to a random read speed of 8Mb/sec.
    In an identical scenario, the SSD drive would need 0.1ms to go from one area to the other, effectively transferring data at a rate of 30Mb/sec.

That's the big difference between mechanical disks and SSDs; in sequential data, all numbers look nice and as I said before even 4 cheap SATA disks perform well. But in real life, data are not sequential and the random transfer rates are what counts. This is where 0.1ms beats the 6.5ms easily ;)

Specialtech got the 128Gb OCZ SSDs in stock for €387 :D
    I spoke to their Sales people, and they said 32Gb and 64Gb to be soon in.

Chosen wrote: »
    Specialtech got the 128Gb OCZ SSDs in stock for €387 :D
    I spoke to their Sales people, and they said 32Gb and 64Gb to be soon in.

I want :( it will be next month before I see my 128GB OCZ drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd be interested in seeing how 1 of the SSDs would work in a PS3.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I'd be interested in seeing how 1 of the SSDs would work in a PS3.

somebody will eventually do it with these new drives. Gamespot did a comparison last month but it was with a SSD that had substantially lower write speeds (40MB/s) to the new OCZ drives. Their review showed very little benefits to having an SSD drive.

Personally I'd rather a 320GB 5400rpm drive in my PS3 to a 64GB SSD Drive.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6192258/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

L31mr0d wrote: »
    somebody will eventually do it with these new drives. Gamespot did a comparison last month but it was with a SSD that had substantially lower write speeds (40MB/s) to the new OCZ drives. Their review showed very little benefits to having an SSD drive.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6192258/index.html

I'd rather not even have my ps3. Worst buy ever. ****ing heap of **** with no decent games and cant even stream HD media...

Anti wrote: »
    I'd rather not even have my ps3. Worst buy ever. ****ing heap of **** with no decent games and cant even stream HD media...

It's probably your fail of a router that's causing the stream to look like crap. It needs to be in MPG4 format from what I've heard too. Get an "N" speed router and you'll be sorted.

L31mr0d wrote: »

Yeah I totally agree, was just curious though.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    It's probably your fail of a router that's causing the stream to look like crap. It needs to be in MPG4 format from what I've heard too. Get an "N" speed router and you'll be sorted.

Sure, being wired it should be alright. But your right about the router being fail.I have to connect to it wired with 10mb / full duplex to even get a connection. And you cant set that on the ps3 or xbox :(

yeah i'm with kinetic^, what speed was your network? I have my PS3 connected up to a wired gigabit network and streaming works fine. What's funny is that the PS3 has been my best buy recently, loads of excellent PSN store games, PS exclusives, browser and I can access all of my files on my PC. I tend to use the PS3 a lot more now than I use the HTPC.

• Advertisement

Sure, being wired it should be alright. But your right about the router being fail.I have to connect to it wired with 10mb / full duplex to even get a connection. And you cant set that on the ps3 or xbox :(

PPC, doodee and myself all have N routers and not a bother.......wired to the N router that is, not wireless. (although PPC might have his wireless, ask him).

Sweet. I'll see about picking one up. Any reccomondations ?

Topic raped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

/waits for flacus to buy one.

/waits for flacus to buy one.

rofl

I bet he has half the money saved already :P

EVE Online use them in their servers, Crazy performance....

so how are these going to be mounted then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

4,500MB/sec random sustained external throughput
    OMG, in 20 yrs maybe for the average gamer

so how are these going to be mounted then ?

Rack mounted, they are not for the home market but for business. Thats why they cost so much !

• Advertisement

no I mean just the standard ssd, how you gonna put a 2.5 inch drive in your pc

I got one of those.

hey thats cool, where did you buy, was it online, have you got a link ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

no I mean just the standard ssd, how you gonna put a 2.5 inch drive in your pc

Get one of these

I got one of those.

I'm curious as to where you got it too. Since I ordered my own SSD yesterday.

A friend of mine (in another country) ordered it and he's going to post it to me. There were 3 left in stock, he bought all 3, but we needed 4 :(

• Advertisement

The OCZ Support forum is flooded with people having corruption issues with the OCZ Core drives. It appears to be a firmware issue and/or compatibility with AHCI, as the same drives that fail in one way, work fine in other configurations/circumstances.

Later this week I will have my hands on a 128Gb Samsung SSD (MLC) and I will post back my findings here, in order to see if the issue is the MLC flash or the OCZ implementation.

The OCZ Support forum is flooded with people having corruption issues with the OCZ Core drives. It appears to be a firmware issue and/or compatibility with AHCI, as the same drives that fail in one way, work fine in other configurations/circumstances.

Later this week I will have my hands on a 128Gb Samsung SSD (MLC) and I will post back my findings here, in order to see if the issue is the MLC flash or the OCZ implementation.

uh oh :( Was excited about getting one... Along with data corruption they have abysmal write performance... I know less than awesome results are expected with an SSD but it really does terrible, with minimum write speed in the 7MB/s range and horrific random write latency (250ms or so)

Heres a great article that compares it to one of the fastest 7200rpm HDDs
    Note the 245ms random write seek time, while useful and, well, easy to understand, is not exactly how it works, after-all SSDs don’t have heads to seek.

If my understanding is correct, this SSD makes small writes by first finding a block or “cluster”, then reading in the entire cluster, then making changes to the buffered data from the cluster, and then writing the modified data as an entire cluster to the SSD.

So on tiny writes, the drive needs to read the entire cluster into memory, make the change, then write it to the flash, we have been referring to this wasted time as a seek, because we are familiar with it as a way to understand hard drive performance…

Balls, Ahh I've ordered a 64gig anyway.

Guru3D reviewed them yesterday.

thats a really positive review, I have a 64 and a 32 on order, do you think I should cancel them ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement