Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable b1tchin fast SSDs! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

dude it doesn't matter how fast they are, it's all about the response time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would be more exited if they developed a SSD with much lower random write latency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Conar

MooseJam wrote: »
    dude it doesn't matter how fast they are, it's all about the response time

As true and all as I know that is.....I still find myself wanting the higher transfer rate just cos I know its out there. :p
    Anyway, yeah I gotta stop trying to outdo myself on my PC.
    Already upgraded the CPU, memory, GPU and watercooling in the last couple of weeks.
    Once the SSD arrives the PC had better run like a monster or I'll cry :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Yes, and if you wait for another few months, the Micron SSDs will be out.
    But then in November, the Intel ones will show up, so it's gotta worth waiting for another few months.
    But then, something else will come out and it will be worth waiting for another few months.
    In the meantime, and while you wait, I will be enjoying my SSD and my snappy OS :D

If I was thinking like this^^ I would still be using an Athlon XP 2500+, waiting for the 80-core Intel CPU...
    There will always be something better in the horizon, that's how technology works in computers. So it's not about waiting until it's the cheapest possible product in the range, it's about start enjoying it when it becomes affordable to you.
    In another forum, the same people that were b1tching about the SSD prices last year, when a 16Gb drive cost like €600, complain now for the 64Gb SSD's €200.

In other words "pathetic excuses". You spent €350 on a freakin graphics card that you only see the investment in Crysis, and €250 on a processor which feels hardly faster than your '05 Athlon64, I bet you will enjoy the €148 that you will spend on a solid state drive more than other upgrades :eek:

And Cuddlesworth: at that level, you can't tell the difference.
    Going from 10ms to 8ms, you can kinda feel it.
    Going from 8ms to 0.3ms, oh yes you can feel it.
    Going from 0.3ms to 0.1ms, it's like when you overclock your RAM and the latency drops from 0.90ns to 0.75ns: only SuperPi and another couple of apps will notice it. Your eyes won't see much :)

Chosen wrote: »
    Yes, and if you wait for another few months, the Micron SSDs will be out.
    But then in November, the Intel ones will show up, so it's gotta worth waiting for another few months.
    But then, something else will come out and it will be worth waiting for another few months.
    In the meantime, and while you wait, I will be enjoying my SSD and my snappy OS :D

Yeah I'm totally with you on that.
    I guess I'm just venting my frustration while I wait for OZC to HURRY UP and ship out all the drives :D

Still says the 7th on MemoryC. I'm hoping they're getting them this time.

• Advertisement

Chosen wrote: »
    And Cuddlesworth: at that level, you can't tell the difference.
    Going from 10ms to 8ms, you can kinda feel it.
    Going from 8ms to 0.3ms, oh yes you can feel it.
    Going from 0.3ms to 0.1ms, it's like when you overclock your RAM and the latency drops from 0.90ns to 0.75ns: only SuperPi and another couple of apps will notice it. Your eyes won't see much :)

Random access writes on SSD currently range from 240ms for SLC chips and 285ms+ for MLC chips. Compare that to 13-20 for normal 7200rpm drives. Its the one current failing of Flash drives and should really be the thing they are looking to improve.

That being said, I'm still waiting on my 64gig to arrive. Read latency more then makes up for it.

Random access writes on SSD currently range from 240ms for SLC chips and 285ms+ for MLC chips. Compare that to 13-20 for normal 7200rpm drives. Its the one current failing of Flash drives and should really be the thing they are looking to improve.

That being said, I'm still waiting on my 64gig to arrive. Read latency more then makes up for it.

I missed the word "write" in your previous post :D

The eagle has landed!!!!!!

Just off the phone to MemoryC and the SSD's will be arriving today.
    They are ringing me as soon as they get in so I can collect locally.
    He checked the UPS shipping number while I was on the phone and its with the delivery courier now.
    Anyone that ordered before yesterday will be getting their drive according to the guy on the phone, but all drives are allocated so if you order now you'll be waiting for the next order.
    I'll post again and confirm once its in my hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

So.....been reading back through this thread. I'd be interested in a 32G SSD now which I'd raid0 later on. The article on write speeds bothered me a bit though, but it seems that there's still a lot of excitement around these drives. Are ye not put off by the write speeds at all?

Khannie wrote: »
    So.....been reading back through this thread. I'd be interested in a 32G SSD now which I'd raid0 later on. The article on write speeds bothered me a bit though, but it seems that there's still a lot of excitement around these drives. Are ye not put off by the write speeds at all?

Tbh no, write speeds are not that important. Not for a OS drive anyway. And they are pretty close to the current mechanical drives.

• Advertisement

I ordered 2x 64Gb from Scan.co.uk for €212 each on Thursday, when they were in stock.
    I've confirmed over the phone that they dispatched them and I should have them on Monday. Will let everyone know how it goes, needless to say :)

yay Order #39667 (July 17th 2008, 05:02 PM) - Status: Shipped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Micron Introduces Next-Generation RealSSD™ Solid State Drives
    * Density: 32–256GB (C200) 16–128GB (P200)
    * Interface: SATA 3 Gb/s
    * READ: 250 MB/s (C200) 250 MB/s (P200) :eek:
    * WRITE: 100 MB/s (C200) 250 MB/s (P200) :eek:
    * Weight: ~75 grams
    More Here

Doubt they'll be affordable tho, SSD's are moving so feckin fast

Thats the P series, they are SLC chips and will be the same price as current SSD drives, eg; 900 for a 64gig.

Dabs just got their order in, pity I have to wait for my Antec 182 to come in to complete the order.

1) ---> 64Gb MLC for €180

2) Got my 64Gb OCZ's today:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

32GB OCZs arriving into stock at MemoryC.com today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

has anyone installed them yet!!

zod wrote: »
    has anyone installed them yet!!

I have, I am just waiting for some spare time in the weekend to do the whole range of tests :)

• Advertisement

I have , faster boot times and program openings, things like opening control panel are very fast, it's not an incredible improvement, just things are generally snappier, oh yea and I get a 5.9 for my harddrive in the windows experience index woot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i get that win my spinpoint and raptors. Windows experience is a bit of a balls tbh.

yeah I know I was joking :)

Finally got around to installing my Core drive today.
    Not off to a good start.
    I have installed twice and both times it cocked up shortly after Vista got on there.
    Started to freeze so I'd hard reboot and then it just sits at the Vista loading screen for hours. (well never gave it more than 20 minutes but thats got to be more than enough).
    Both times it stayed up long enough to install SP1, disabled search, defrag, etc etc.

I'm trying a quick ghost off my old drive now before bed...hope it works.
    I'll report back when I know more.

System specs:
    Gigabyte ga-965p-ds3p mainboard
    E8400
    4GB GSkill PC8000

Before bed at half 4 in the morning ;)

:D Yeah, its gonna be a late one tonight.

I ghosted my raptor before I sold it to a mate.
    Golden rule...always test your backups before you go further but I was in a rush dammit.
    Anyway, the ghosted image is acting the git and I can't get into it.
    Back to fresh installs now.
    I'll try the fresh install on the SSD one more time and if that doesn't work I'll do a fresh install to a standard SATA drive and apply all the updates and setting changes before ghosting it.

First time I've ever had so much trouble from just getting a new HDD :mad:

flc or mlc drive btw ? or what ever the abbreviations you kids use these days.....

Still i see no point for these SSD's at all tbh. Its just ++epeen if you ask me. I mean sheeeet. look at the specs of my pc, nowt speshul at all. but it does more then what i ask of it.

Manties wrote: »
    flc or mlc drive btw ? or what ever the abbreviations you kids use these days.....

Still i see no point for these SSD's at all tbh. Its just ++epeen if you ask me. I mean sheeeet. look at the specs of my pc, nowt speshul at all. but it does more then what i ask of it.

SLC.

No ++epeen here.
    You'll not find my system specs in my sig :p
    I just love spending time on my PC and consoles etc, and the uber low seek times of these new drives were just too good to pass.
    When the OS went on at first the system was responding brilliantly, click anything and it just appeared on screen.
    No, clunk clunk clunk here you go kinda thing we are often used to.
    If I can get it to work I'll be thinking that its money well spent, if not then I guess I'll have to put it on adverts and take a hit.
    I notice you have 2 x raptors so I'm sure you appreciate the lure of quick access times.

tbh i dont. But i can see the attraction.

All i use this pc for is Irc, browsing and playing wow. And with this spec its more then quick enough.

• Advertisement

Thats fair enough.

Just tried another install. Seemed to install much quicker this time. Odd that!
    Again everything responding nicely.
    Disabled page, indexer, etc.
    Installed latest Intel inf's and rebooted.
    No more boots.
    Sits there at the Windows load screen.
    Best leave it at that for tonight.

Advertisement