Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router for NTL

Options
  • 28-06-2008 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell desktop with 3meg ntl broadband, I've just ordered an Inspiron 1525 so i want to set up wireless in the house so i can use the internet etc on the new laptop!

Any recommendatins for a good wireless router at a decent enough price??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The Linksys WRT54G/WRT54GL/WRT54GS range is dirt cheap because they're so popular. Works fine with NTL BB and very hacker-friendly (i.e. replacing the firmware for extra functionality).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Are you given one when you sign with NTL Broadband. I think you get a netgear router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

creggy wrote: »
    Are you given one when you sign with NTL Broadband. I think you get a netgear router.
    I thought you had to pay ~€50 for it; could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Which of the following would you recommend?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306148

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306149

Is it worth the extra money for the WRT54GS or should i just get the WRT54G?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Loogie

xtal191 wrote: »
    Is it worth the extra money for the WRT54GS or should i just get the WRT54G?

I think the S if for proprietary compression, effectively increasing the bandwidth of transmissions. You would probably have to install Linksys software on you Desktops/Laptops and maybe even use Linksys cards too.

Not sure if that would tempt me. Having said that, I'd probably still go for the more pricey one so I'd have the option but that's because €50 ain't much. If we were talking €230 vs. €320, well... I wouldn't bother with the 'S'.

Oh, also this speed increase is only beneficial between PCs on your home LAN. It won't make any difference to the Internet speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Ed Jos

xtal191 wrote: »
    I have a Dell desktop with 3meg ntl broadband, I've just ordered an Inspiron 1525 so i want to set up wireless in the house so i can use the internet etc on the new laptop!
    Any recommendatins for a good wireless router at a decent enough price??

Hi,

I have 3meg NTL broadband also, and was provided with their standard cable modem (scientific atlantic or something like that). As I wanted to set up wireless I bought a NetGear WGR614 router, and connected the cable modem into it, and no problems there - the network is now working fine throughout the apartment.

What I'm wondering is... was it possible to replace the cable modem with a wireless router if I bought a different one, or do I have to continue having both running and connected together to have wireless?
    If I'd asked NTL to set up the wireless network in the first place, would it have been one or two modem/routers?

Its a pain, causing clutter, and it seems a waste, just to get wireless up!

Thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ed Jos wrote: »
    Hi,

I have 3meg NTL broadband also, and was provided with their standard cable modem (scientific atlantic or something like that). As I wanted to set up wireless I bought a NetGear WGR614 router, and connected the cable modem into it, and no problems there - the network is now working fine throughout the apartment.

What I'm wondering is... was it possible to replace the cable modem with a wireless router if I bought a different one, or do I have to continue having both running and connected together to have wireless?
    If I'd asked NTL to set up the wireless network in the first place, would it have been one or two modem/routers?

Its a pain, causing clutter, and it seems a waste, just to get wireless up!

Thanks!

The short answer is no:( even if you had asked NTO to set it up for you it would have been the same.

Advertisement