Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Decent site for buying cars up north

Options
  • 28-06-2008 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

Does anyone know of a decent site for buying cars up North?
    Something similar to Carzone or CBG.
    Everything I find i crap or has very few cars.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Try autotrader!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Conar

Yeah Autotrader is OK but it seems that nearly every car is in a garden/driveway even if you select dealer.
    I'm not a motor fanatic and would rather buy from a repitable dealer if I was crossing the border.
    Also the search criteria etc isn't as easy to filter.

Maybe I'm expecting to much but I just thought that it would be easier to find what I was looking for up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I would suggest picking a few makes of cars that you are interested in buying. Then go to the manufacturer's website and search for dealers based in the north. Most of the local dealers have a website with car listings so you can check them out online.

I would suggest picking a few makes of cars that you are interested in buying. Then go to the manufacturer's website and search for dealers based in the north. Most of the local dealers have a website with car listings so you can check them out online.

Yeah I've pretty much done all thats been suggested.
    I guess I just expected to see more of a selection.
    I'm looking for a cheap Seat Leon diesel (or similar diesel, but she really wants the Leon) for my wife to take advantage of the new VRT laws coming in.

On a side note, does anyone have any idea how they calculate the CO2 emmissions on 2nd hand cars? Is it the manufacrturers specs or what?

• Advertisement

If you are importing and paying VRT I'm 99.9% sure they go by what is listed in the V5 document. It details what the CO2 emissions are for the model of car.

Try these dealers, I bought a car from the first one and I know others who've bought from the 2nd place and no complaints. The 3rd one I'd say is a decent place too. Derek Loane have a 07 Seat Leon for £11,995 sterling - 20,000 miles.

http://www.jimkeeleymotors.com/
    http://www.shelbournemotors.com/
    http://www.derekloanemotors.co.uk/

Just spotted another Seat Leon they have. 2004, 51,000 miles, £6495 sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Conar wrote: »
    On a side note, does anyone have any idea how they calculate the CO2 emmissions on 2nd hand cars? Is it the manufacrturers specs or what?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055199036

:) I was just looking at it.
    Not bad.

ROS.ie is down at the moment though so I can't tell how much they would value it at down here.
    Whats this V5 document?

Any idea how much that would cost me for VRT? Ballpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Use www.autotrader.co.uk , and put BT35 7NB in as a post code (Newry). Then set distance at 100 miles, and you'll see most of the cars in the north. Use the advanced search.

Edit: 66 Seat Leon Diesels shown using above.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

So from this site:
    http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp

I can see that the Leon TDi is 140g/km so it would be in the €150 tax / 16% VRT range.
    Now any idea's what ROS reckons a 2004 Seat Leon TDi is worth?

The V5 is the registration document you get in the North and the UK when you buy a car, new or 2nd hand. It contains all the details of the car, engine capacity, size, emissions, chassis number etc. It also lists who owns the car and when they bought it and who the previous owner was.

You will have to give this to the revenue when you import the car and pay VRT. To work out the VRT if you go to the Revenue website there is an online calculator where you add in the details of the car, and it will calculate the VRT due. Although I just checked and the site seems to be down at the moment, but I think they are doing some maintenance on it or something.

I would definitely advise checking that VRT calculator before you purchase the car. I was in the VRO the other day and a guy ahead of me was trying to import a car and he was just going by the value he had been told at some other VRO office, but unfortunately he didn't have any print out to back it up. So the VRT that was due was over 1000 euro when it sounded like it was only going to be about 400.

If you input all the correct information about the car into the site, it will work out the VRT due and I think if you print it out the same day as you go to pay the VRT and bring it with you, they will mostly accept what it says. However they will still work out the VRT rate anyway so it's best not to try to scam them by bringing a quote that you've tried to "fiddle" :)

Cheers Grandmaster.
    Yeah I'd noticed their site was down.
    Probably preparing for the new VRT calculations.

I'll not jump into anything unless I'm certain what I'll be paying anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Thanks guys.

So from this site:
    http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp

I can see that the Leon TDi is 140g/km so it would be in the €150 tax / 16% VRT range.
    Now any idea's what ROS reckons a 2004 Seat Leon TDi is worth?

€560 road tax on it as it's a 1.9, pre 2008 imports still taxed on CC figure from July.

Really?
    So its just the VRT at the new rate, not the road tax?

Dang, what a bloody oversight on my part!
    The new motor tax system is applicable only to cars first registered (when new) in 2008 and later, no matter which country they were registered in. All older cars stay on the old cc based tax system

Yeah guess that explains that.
    Its amazing how I can make myself not see things that I don't want to see :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Really?
    So its just the VRT at the new rate, not the road tax?
    I would have pointed it out, but assumed you must have known! It's been done to death on this forum.

To paraphrase The Colonel: I hate it when a plan falls apart!

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    I would have pointed it out, but assumed you must have known! It's been done to death on this forum.

To paraphrase The Colonel: I hate it when a plan falls apart!

Yeah my bad!
    GODDAMMIT $%£^£^£^"&*&"*"(("!)")")"
    :p

Advertisement