Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shannon aerospace composites sheetmetal

Options
  • 28-06-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am training out in Shannon Aerospace at the moment. I started the training hoping to be an aircraft mechanic but they are after revealing that some of us, if not the whole class could be put in sheetmetal and composites. This will mean no experience in mechanics or electrics as I will be in the same area for all my training and while working there afterwards. Needless to say I was quite gutted at the fact that theres a chance I might not do what I had intended to do. We wont have a choice in the matter which is a pity. I wont know for another 4 months what the plan will be and the uncertainty in itself is annoying.

Recently I received a letter for an aptitude test for training at Air Atlanta, im tempted to sit this because at least then I could gaurantee Id be doing what I had intended on doing. It would be a pity though as I like SA alot and I also like the fact that the training is shorter leaving you the option yourself to get licenses or go contracting etc.

My question is, has anyone here worked in sheet metal or composites? If so what did you think of it? and what kind of job opportunities can come out of it?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Alot of money to be made in both. But particularly in composites (i.e 787, new airbus' & F1) SAL will still put you through the modules, but 90% of your OJT will be drilling out anchor nuts! Contracting wise, there is always work for sheeties but money is never as good as a certifying B1. Do the Atlanta aptitude test anyway and see how it all compares. Training is shorter in SAL but will you get A or B module exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

maybe go talk to hr i know they only changed the system around xmas time.if you talk to them they might try to accomodate you. you have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I will be doing A exams and will have them complete within 9 months, I then start OJT. However SAL allow me to start sitting my B exams whenever I want after that. So I can actually get my exams done quicker than AAAE but Ill have to still work away for a few years before getting the B license.

Contracting wise, there is always work for sheeties but money is never as good as a certifying B1.
    Just wondering, is it possible for me to become a certifying B1 if Im doing sheetmetal or composites? Or am I getting it all mixed up? I see job offers like "LAME wanted" will I apply for these positions years down the line or am I stuck somewhere else?
    Cheers for any help I appreciate it. I guess I just resent the fact that theyre not giving us the option meaning they could easily put us all in an area we dont want to go into.
    I do like the idea of working in F1 with composites though:D

maybe go talk to hr i know they only changed the system around xmas time.if you talk to them they might try to accomodate you. you have nothing to lose.

yea I think Ill contact them tommorow, sometimes it feels like getting blood out of a stone with these guys though. Whenever we asked 'how many in a class do you reckon will do S&C?" They just say "we wont know".
    To me thats another way of saying it could be the whole lot of you.

ask as an individual not as a class they will take you more seriously that way.tell them that when you applied for the job you wanted to be a mechanic.just be honest with them and don't be afraid to confront them. also do you know any of the instructors?

• Advertisement

ask as an individual not as a class they will take you more seriously that way.tell them that when you applied for the job you wanted to be a mechanic.just be honest with them and don't be afraid to confront them. also do you know any of the instructors?
    Thats a better idea alright, its always been as a class before.
    Do you know if its at all possible to take the route as a licensed engineer eventually even if Im going in to sheetmetal and composites for now?

I know some instructors in fas I guess they could get in touch as well and find out more

you can get your b1 through sheetmetal but it takes a long time cause you have to build up so many hours as a mechanic. its hard to do i aerospace i think. if you know any of the instructors well ask them for advice but the best route is to go over to hr and have a chat with them. ask them anything you need to know. even if they don't give you an answer there and then it will go in your file that you have a preference to be a mechanic which could work to your advantage.as i said before there is no point in asking with the class they can't let everyone be a mechanic

ok cheers Ill have to do that so as I really dont wanna end up stuck drilling out nuts for the next 5 years with no experience and no license behind me.
    thanks again for the help!!

ok good luck with it anyway.the people you are dealing are very approachable so don't be nervous about. let us know how you get on with it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wojas25

hi... I wanna be as well as mechanic... soon I have the test to get in for that cours... Can you explain me more about it... what keind of test im gonna have.. after this cours can i get an cert that i can work in diffrent palces????

• Advertisement
Advertisement