Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motortax.ie PIN

Options
  • 28-06-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have to renew my cartax, but lost the form with the pin number. Went online to motortax.ie, but its down for the new tax bands update.

Anyone know where I can get the pin number? I vaguely remember someone saying its on the chassis number?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have to renew my cartax, but lost the form with the pin number. Went online to motortax.ie, but its down for the new tax bands update.

Anyone know where I can get the pin number? I vaguely remember someone saying its on the chassis number?

Many thanks

the pin is unique, and changes every time you renew, i think you will have to call them,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Don't think they'll give out a new PIN...you'll have to get a form,fill in..etc

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Call into the office. Tax it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I lost my pin last time and rang them up, they asked me a few questions and then gave me a new pin, prolly closed over weekend though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I've previously used the last 8 digits of my chassis number when I've not been given a pin before which also worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 cgwils

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi all,

Many thanks

Same happened to me. I downloaded a renewal form : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/motor-tax-and-insurance/motor_tax_rates#howtoapply and sent it by post. Received my disc in 5 days. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for all the replies. cgwils, I shall go down that route! Knowing my luck, I will find it the moment I send it off! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭spyder238

just email them, i did it. Sent me the pin within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cgwils

spyder238 wrote: »
    just email them, i did it. Sent me the pin within an hour.

Didn't know they'd do that. This should be the best option. For my future ref, which email did you use?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Their email is motortax@environ.ie
    However, in October 2007 I tried emailing them for a PIN and got the following:
    Sent: 04 October 2007 14:08
    To: kbannon
    Subject: Re: PIN request

Dear kbannon,

We are unable to issue PIN numbers by email or phone for security reasons. PIN Numbers are only issued through a renewal notice. I will re-issue you with a new renewal and PIN number today.

Its important to note that this could take 5 days between processing and postage. If you choose this option your previous renewal PIN Number will be invalid.

Regards

• Advertisement

translation:

Do you REALLY want me to do some work??? :)

Personally, I don't see why a PIN is required. Its not like someone else is going to pay your tax for you. Surely the reg and chassis number are sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kbannon wrote: »
    Personally, I don't see why a PIN is required. Its not like someone else is going to pay your tax for you. Surely the reg and chassis number are sufficient.
    It's because your name & address come up when the reg & pin are entered.

But given that its all on file (registered owner) its not necessary. I'm just being pedantic I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

But given that its all on file (registered owner) its not necessary. I'm just being pedantic I guess.
    They show it to give you the opportunity to correct errors, change your address etc. And also (probably most importantly) to make sure that you actually entered the correct reg! Although, as has been said, the last 6 digits of the VIN# seems to work and that's on the windscreen!

Point taken - cheers Anan1

last 6 or 8 digits of your chassis number does work as I've done this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I got the same reply as kbannon last time and the chassis number trick did not work !

Also the reason they shouldn't give out the pin is that you could change the address on ithe form and have the discs sent there too. Then it would be easy enough to alter the ownership records later !

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Cool, thanks for the all the replys. My original thoughts were correct. Found the flipping thing this morning! Was online at the time, about to ring them! Done and dusted thank god :)

Advertisement