Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alain Prost roadtests Mini Cooper S & Punto Abarth. Says Abarth is better...

Options
  • 28-06-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Anyone speak Italian?

Saw this being discussed on another forum.

Alain Prost recently did a test for an Italian car mag comparing the Punto Abarth SS to the Mini Cooper S JCW.

http://www.quattroruote.it/primo_contatto/articolo.cfm?codice=140346

Apparantly he preffered the Fiat in every way - better steering, handling, performance. He said the Mini's back end was unpredicatable and the engine lacked low-down grunt (...o and he didn't like the MINI's driving position).

Now I know this is open to claims of bias being an italian publication and all but couldn't the same accusation be levelled at the MINI and British journos? Prost was one of the best test & development drivers in the history of F1 so his opinion carries some weight. On top of that he has a notoriosly bad relationship with the FIAT/Ferrari group...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

sounds about right about the 2 cars imo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

Punto is made by Fiat, therefore will always break and will look hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Punto is made by Fiat, therefore will always break and will look hideous.

nothing like a well informed, fact based opinion :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pburns wrote: »
    ....Alain Prost recently did a test for an Italian car mag comparing the Punto Abarth SS to the Mini Cooper S JCW.

The penny drops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Well I haven't driven either car but would have suspected the MINI was superior (judging by press i've read etc.)

Can't help feeling that there could be a kind of 'Emperor's new clothes' situation around certain 'iconic' cars amongst the British press. Someone like Prost coming from a completely different culture, language would not be part of that 'clique' and may make judgements without any baggage or predispositions.

And let's face it - this is ALAIN ****ing PROST!!!! The best car developer in 80s F1 and a 4 times World Champion!

I'd LOVE to see car mags making use of well known racing drivers for opinions on high-end cars. A couple of years ago CAR got Brundle to test a brace of cars for their 'performance car of the Year' thing I think and he had some great comments, many of which went against perseived wisdom...

I know it was an Italian mag but Prost is French and AFAIK has a fracturious relationship to this day with Scuderia Ferrari and it's associated companies. He was fired in the early '90s for calling his F1 car 'a truck'.

So essentially dismissing his opinions as a FIAT-favouring lacky shows ye up as the stereotypical southside BMW fanboys ye really are;):p:)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Google does a reasonable job of translating it.

Advertisement