Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Manufacturer warranty on cars from uk

Options
  • 28-06-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭

Does the manufacturer warranty come with cars imported from uk. I assumed it did but when I thought about it, Im not so sure. Different markets have different warranty periods. Some cars come with 3 years in uk and only 2 here. also, some recalls are usually done on a country by country basis so im assuming that its the importer that makes these decisions and also perhaps decisions on warranty. So does an imported car fall into a category where the the irish importer didnt sell it and so are not offering the warranty given with cars supplied by them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Short answer, ask your supplier.

Most manufacturer warranties are Europe-wide and will be honoured as such, but you'd want to check that with your supplier and with your repairer here to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I imported a ford focus a few years ago, uk warranty was 3 years, cars sold new in Ireland came with 2 years warranty.
    Ford Ireland had to stand over the 3 year warranty as it was Europe wide. I used it on a couple of occasions with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

A friend had a Golf in the exact same scenario (bought an IRE reg car that originally came from UK). VW Ire would only stand over it for 2 years - even though it was originally bought with a 3 year warranty in the UK. He lives in Monaghan so if any warranty issues come up when the car is in its 3rd year he will simply cross the border. VW NI confirmed this to him before be agreed to buy the car. The warranty is linked to chassis number and not the reg. no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Neilw wrote: »
    I imported a ford focus a few years ago, uk warranty was 3 years, cars sold new in Ireland came with 2 years warranty.
    Ford Ireland had to stand over the 3 year warranty as it was Europe wide. I used it on a couple of occasions with no problems.

+1

I was/am in the same position with a Mondeo - Ford Ireland is obliged to honour the 3 year UK warranty, even though fords sold in Ireland come with a 2 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

From my experience, Mercedes Ireland will not honour the 3rd year warranty given by MBUK. You'll have to bring it to the UK for warranty work.

I guess it all depends on the manufacturer...

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Have a UK warranty on a car can imported here, Renault will cover it for 3 years V the Irish 2. AFAIK all warranties on EU cars are pan European since 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

i brought in a saab with a three year warranty. Local garage confirmed they'd stand over it otherwise it would be a case of a short drive up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

I bought a Mitsubishi in London, drove it to Belgium where I drove it for a year, then brought it back to Ireland, re-registered it. About 8 months later the engine had a big problem, contacted Mitsubishi Ireland who had no interest in it, then contacted Mitsubishi UK who said it was exported out of the country so no cover. Tried Mitsubishi international and within an hour it was recovered under the Pan-European warranty. The engine had to be re-built and the job would have cost me around 2.5K, end cost NIL. I've just imported a Renualt Scenic at a saving of 7k and its covered under the European warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Renault blanchardstown and Renault Swords both honour their warranty for cars from the North which is 3 years.

I had a few issues resolved with both on different occasions. They also let me extend the warranty with mapfree for two years.

I wasn't sure if I could of availed of that option due to Renault Ireland only offering 2 years warranty.

Advertisement