Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S/NES remakes for the PS

Options
  • 28-06-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Im making my way through the FF series from XII downwards, im on VI at the moment and finding the numbering system is getting messy from here on thanks to the American releases. Im posting this up to try n figure it out in my head as well as been corrected if im mistaken...anyways...

Final Fantasy Origins = 1 and 2 (European release, Japanese no. order)
    Final Fantasy Anthology = 4 and 5 (European release, Japanese no. order)
    Final Fantasy VI = 6 (European release, Japanese no. order)

I cant seem to find a PS remake of FFIII that would of been released in Japan.

The original S/NES release changes were as follows:
    Japan - America
    FFI - FFI
    FFII - not released
    FFIII - not released
    FFIV - FFII
    FFV - not released
    FFVI - FFIII

I think during the S/NES days Europe got the American release order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

We got the same releases and numbering scheme as the Americans.

FF III was never released outside of Japan.

Get the DS remake.

It's pretty good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You might be better off playing those Snes games on an emulator with a good fan translation. The PS1 remakes have a decent translation but the loading times are a pain in the swiss.

I wouldn't bother playing FF2, it's an unplayable mess of a game which is a shame because storywise it's a good attempt for such an early game. FFI is playable but very very archaic. You'll need to do some power levelling to beat it and other unpleasantness like buyinng 99 potions before attempting dungeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

There is a really annoying loading time for the menus, saving takes an age...still though i have a mate who has the PS remakes and i can just borrow them rather than trying to find emulators.

That and the new fmvs are a nice extra.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's the random battle load times that are the main problem for me. Be warned that there is a timed section halfway through FFVI were the timer counts down even while the game loads between random battles. This section is beatable but if you want to save one of the important optional characters you need to hang on at the end of the section and wait for them which can sometimes be impossible if you get too many random battles on the way there.

Yea luckily i was already told about that.
    The party member is Shadow and its at the Floating Continent area.

I got him back with about 2 seconds to spare...hes one my favorite so would of been really pissed if he was gone.

Loading time during random battles are annoying too...specially the bit just after, waiting to load back to whatever area your at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's the random battle load times that are the main problem for me. Be warned that there is a timed section halfway through FFVI were the timer counts down even while the game loads between random battles. This section is beatable but if you want to save one of the important optional characters you need to hang on at the end of the section and wait for them which can sometimes be impossible if you get too many random battles on the way there.

Played FFVI on an emu a few months back, and was totally unaware of that(was trying to play it as I would have when it was originally released, so no Googling!). When I found it out and realised I'd
    traded Shadow for Relm
    , I was... mildly annoyed, to say the least....

karlr42 wrote: »
    Played FFVI on an emu a few months back, and was totally unaware of that(was trying to play it as I would have when it was originally released, so no Googling!). When I found it out and realised I'd
    traded Shadow for Relm
    , I was... mildly annoyed, to say the least....

Its a trade off?...this is the
    waiting event at the floating continent
    your talking about?
    So because i waited for shadow i wont get Relm back now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Sorry, nope, it's not a trade, looked into it!
    If you don't wait for Shadow, you find Relm where Shadow would be(it's a cave on the Veldt, I think), but she just gets kidnapped and you have to get her again from Jidoor. If you wait for Shadow, you find him in the cave, and Relm in Jidoor.

Advertisement