Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tax relief on fees

Options
  • 28-06-2008 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

In October I'll return to full time education as an mature student and will be paying fees of around €6000 per annum. My understanding is that I can claim tax relief on the fees paid (according to revenue form it31).

My question is, if say next year I work for the 3 months of the summer and say earn €10000 and these are my only earings for the year, then I won't have paid any tax and have nothing to claim tax relief on.

Am i correct in this thinking? If so will revenue issue me with a cheque for 20% of the fees paid?:rolleyes: Or do I need to get someone else who will pay tax in the year to pay the fees on my behalf and claim tax relief through their own income?

thanks

Comments

Hrm, I honestly don't know much about tax relief myself, so the best people to chat to might be Revenue on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 jakfrost

Thanks for the reply Myth.For once on here you're not the man in the know.;)

:pac:

Advertisement