Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college statistics

Options
  • 28-06-2008 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Where could i find out about the % of 1st class honours degrees
    given out by the colleges?
    Stupid question, i know, but im stuck between two colleges at the moment so it might help me out.
    Someone told me that its harder to get an honours degree in certain colleges, just checking if this is true.thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Getting a first is very very hard. For example in UCD you need a GPA of 3.68 which would be about a A- average.

An honours degree is a 4 year course. Getting into your 4th year is of course based on your 3rd year results. In terms of getting a honours degree, it can be up to a number of things, mainly how much work YOU put in. College is very different from school, as the lectures don't teach you, they just guide you and what you should be learning yourself.

Also, the quality of the lectures can also effect it methinks but if you put the work in you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

In UCD GPA is out of 4.2 for some reason so you need 3.68 or higher. Not all colleges are the same.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/alu/documents/Modular_Grades_Explained.pdf

Most but not all honours degrees are four years long.

OP I've no idea where you'd find that statistic, try ringing around various departments in the college. Eight people out of thirty one (or thirty four, I'm not sure) got firsts in my course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

First, don't choose a college because it is easier to get a First. That's just stupid. Avoid degree mills.

In UCD, 3.68 is between a B+ and an A-, 3.6 and 3.8 respectively. Not all honours degrees are 4 years, B.A. Hons degrees in UCD are 3 years, of course assuming you achieve an honours grade.

Also, the number of high grades changes by year. Some classes grade on a curve, others don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭*belle*

Thanks to all for replying.

Dont worry i am not planning to base my decision on a statistic.;) its pretty much already made anyway.
    I just want to make sure i am well informed,you know , no regrets and all that.....cao deadline is monday so just checking things.

Advertisement