Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PM monitor plugin for FF3 Version: 3.0.2008.06.28

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

mmm tasty. I shall install this when I get home later. GG.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm using the Old Skool skin, and I had a bunch of PMs when I logged in today but the icon stayed blue instead of changing to green. When I hover over it it says Not Set. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not set means it hasn't checked for messages yet. Are you sure you haven't disabled it. Drop down menu it will say "enable". If that is set follow the debug mentioned before.

No it's enabled all right, it gives me the option to disable it when I click on it. I'll do the debug thing and post it here in a few minutes.

Or maybe not:

1. In Firefox type URL about:config.
    DONE

2. Add a new variable called boardsie.debug with value of true (if already exists set to true).
    How do I add a new variable?

3. Open error console and attempt to reproduce issue.
    There's nothing to reproduce, I didn't attempt an action so what should I do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'm getting this 'Not Set' as well. PM enabled etc. See debug below:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x804b000a (NS_ERROR_MALFORMED_URI) [nsIIOService2.newURI]" nsresult: "0x804b000a (NS_ERROR_MALFORMED_URI)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://boardspm3/content/boardspmOverlay.js :: getDataFromServer :: line 48" data: no]

The error message relates to trying to get the cookie information from the browsers secure area. The malformed URL would suggest one of the following.

1. Are you using the latest version of the plugin. (June 30th).

2. Where you using the previous old plugin? If you were try this.
    - go to about:config address.
    - Click "I'll be careful".
    - in filter type boardsie.
    - on each of the boardsie.* variables right click and click "reset".
    - Close down firefox and reopen.
    - Set up your preferences again.

Incidently to turn on debug.

3. if the issue still happens after that, then.
    - In a blank area of the screen where the variables are right click and select New->Boolean
    - give it the name boardsie.debug
    - give it a value of true.

After browser restart debug is on. you can go back into the about.config and set debug to false when your done (unless you like error console spam).

Hobbes wrote: »
    The error message relates to trying to get the cookie information from the browsers secure area. The malformed URL would suggest one of the following.

1. Are you using the latest version of the plugin. (June 30th).

2. Where you using the previous old plugin? If you were try this.
    - on each of the boardsie.* variables right click and click "reset".
    - Close down firefox and reopen.
    - Set up your preferences again.

Nice one that did it. Working fine now thanks a lot Hobbes. I had been using the old version and may have installed the latest version over it.

That's done the trick for me too Hobbes, thanks a lot. I was using the old one before, so that must have been what was causing the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Just wondering if there could be an addon to the plugin whereby it monitors activity on your items on adverts.ie?

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Just wondering if there could be an addon to the plugin whereby it monitors activity on your items on adverts.ie?

Do up a spec of what you need. Can't guarantee anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

You lost me at spec! ;)

Well an advert you make or post in automatically becomes subsrcibed to, similar to subbing to a thread. You get emails when people reply to your ads/subbed ads. You can disable this but if there was an addon to the PM monitor I think it would be great.

No big deal if it's not possible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is it possible to have this let you know if you have new visitor profile msgs too please?

THanks

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hobbes, I've built visitor message data into the inbox API, so you should be able to add this to the plugin if you wish.

new variables should be obvious from looking at the API, but in JSON it's:
    totalVM => Toal Visitor Messages (Numeric)
    unreadVM => Total Unread Visitor Messages (Numeric)
    gotoProfile => URL pointing to users profile (String)

Ok I need to think about the UI on this. What about the adverts request. Is that possible as well?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Anything's possible. Whether it's worth the investment of time depends on what it's supposed to be doing.

I imagine it would be fairly trivial to include a count on current notifications, or new replies, but how to meaningfully represent that and have it be more than just a ticker within the current UI of the PM checker eludes me.

Tell me what you need it to supply and I can tell you if I can supply it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Any more luck increasing the functionality of this? :)

Bump for FF 3.5 compatibility please if possible. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Dingatron wrote: »
    Bump for FF 3.5 compatibility please if possible. ;)

Bump. FF 3.5.2 no likey

• Advertisement

I don't have anywhere near the time to look at this that I once did. I would recommend someone taking it over. The XPI file contains everything you need to fix/change it. Just needs some kind of source control from boards.ie side.

As for compatability:

1. Type about:config in the Firefox browser navigation bar or address bar
    2. Right click on the list and create a boolean key called extensions.checkCompatibility
    3. Set the value to false
    4. restart the browser

Addon window will pop up saying compatability checking is disabled. Don't click enable, just close it (does that just once or when an addon updates).

Hobbes wrote: »
    I don't have anywhere near the time to look at this that I once did. I would recommend someone taking it over. The XPI file contains everything you need to fix/change it. Just needs some kind of source control from boards.ie side.

As for compatability:

1. Type about:config in the Firefox browser navigation bar or address bar
    2. Right click on the list and create a boolean key called extensions.checkCompatibility
    3. Set the value to false
    4. restart the browser

Addon window will pop up saying compatability checking is disabled. Don't click enable, just close it (does that just once or when an addon updates).

I sorted this out locally by changing the version number in the XPI file. If anyone wants it PM me though I couldn't stand over it as I'm not a coder but it works for me. Much as I'd like to take over this if something major needed changing I wouldn't be in a position to do it most likely.

Dingatron wrote: »
    I sorted this out locally by changing the version number in the XPI file. If anyone wants it PM me though I couldn't stand over it as I'm not a coder but it works for me. Much as I'd like to take over this if something major needed changing I wouldn't be in a position to do it most likely.

Send me a copy and I'll certify it for you. :) Then you can just post as the most up to date version.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭stephenjudge

My Firefox Add-ons Review, probably more appropriate here.
    This is a great extension for us Boards.ie users. I would love to see this extension regularly tested and updated for each new version of Firefox. I am sure the Boards community could do the testing and then the maintainer of this extension "Simon", could upload any new modifications and update the Firefox version check. It would be nice for it to install first time ever time without users having the modify the XPI themselves. Thanks for your efforts.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement