Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile Phones and Driving

• 28-06-2008 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Are Gardai allowed to use thier mobiles while they are driving? I have seen a few driving and talking.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

YES, how many times is this question going to be asked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Section 3 of road traffic act 61-06 - at the end subsection blah blah says members of An Garda Siochana & other emergency services, ambulance drivers etc
    - they are exempt in the course of thier duties.

Guards also collate intelligence and put incidents on their system via phone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

And park on yellow lines outside chippers!!

They are not always getting their own food though.

A busy station might have to provide 15-20 prisoner meals a day. If the stations dont have frozen food stocks available they are obliged to pay for prisoner meals.

Also if the prisoners dont want to eat the frozen microwaved ****e and have money they can pay for their own takeaways/food ect and the gards are obliged to get it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Same up here. It's not uncommon for prisoners to get a McDonalds, Curry, Pizza, Fish Supper, Subway etc., while they are in custody. And before anyone goes crazy, we HAVE TO get it for them if they are paying.

"Would you like fries with that Sir?"
    Chief--- wrote: »
    And park on yellow lines outside chippers!!

They are not always getting their own food though.

A busy station might have to provide 15-20 prisoner meals a day. If the stations dont have frozen food stocks available they are obliged to pay for prisoner meals.

Also if the prisoners dont want to eat the frozen microwaved ****e and have money they can pay for their own takeaways/food ect and the gards are obliged to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

psni wrote: »
    Same up here. It's not uncommon for prisoners to get a McDonalds, Curry, Pizza, Fish Supper, Subway etc., while they are in custody. And before anyone goes crazy, we HAVE TO get it for them if they are paying.

To have someone in a cell in a police station and to waste Garda time buying them maccy Ds is a complete joke. Who came up with this stupid concept? Or am i missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

random wrote: »
    To have someone in a cell in a police station and to waste Garda time buying them maccy Ds is a complete joke. Who came up with this stupid concept? Or am i missing something?

Human Rights, my friend... Human Rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is there a "within reason" clause or can I be arrested in Dublin and request my favorite takeaway from Cork?

Human Rights - it's all about being innocent until proven guilty and so why should they be deprived of what they would normally have? Or something else ?

random wrote: »
    Is there a "within reason" clause or can I be arrested in Dublin and request my favorite takeaway from Cork?

Human Rights - it's all about being innocent until proven guilty and so why should they be deprived of what they would normally have? Or something else ?

No it would be from a local take away shop, but if there is a McDonalds across the street like O'Connell Street in Dublin, and it's open, and that's what he wanted and was willing to pay for it - you'd have a hard time explaining why you didn't feed your prisoner when his barrister uses the good 'ol 'Human Rights Infringement' defence to get his client off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Yup human rights keeping apache pizza in swords in business!

Guards are always in there getting prisioner meals its right accross from the station, maccy d's, chipper and chinese very close too, scrotes spoilt for choice and guards having their time wasted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Is it not just their right to be provided with food, warmth and shelter? Surely getting them takeaway of their choice is a luxury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

You need to remember that an arrested person has not been convicted of an offence (once we're not talking about a warrant, I suppose), therefore has a different legal status to a convicted prisoner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

The sooner Tetra comes into full effect the sooner the Public will lose the common misconception that we're talking into mobiles for personal rather than professional reasons.

I doubt many of us are delighted to be using said Nokias as unofficial radios.

What is Tetra?

WindSock wrote: »
    What is Tetra?

Tetra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

psni wrote: »

This doesn't happen where I work, thankfully. If they don't want the microwave prepacked meals, they go hungry. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

This was on goold auld Joe Duffy recently. People were giving out because the Gardai were getting free food in McDonalds and Supermacs.

Joe didnt know what to say when the manager of Supermacs rang up and explained that the Gardai sign the reciept and the Super gets a monthly bill for whats called a 'prisoner meal' :D

a 'prisoner meal' :D

Does it come with a toy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

This was on goold auld Joe Duffy recently. People were giving out because the Gardai were getting free food in McDonalds and Supermacs.

Joe didnt know what to say when the manager of Supermacs rang up and explained that the Gardai sign the reciept and the Super gets a monthly bill for whats called a 'prisoner meal' :D

Joe should know better didnt he used to be a probation officer?

Advertisement