Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on UPC broadband service and installation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

They wont be using your existing phone connection. They will be using a cable connection, the same connection which is been used for your TV points.

The router they supply is a netgear which is straightforward enough to set up. The installer will usually set this up for you with wep enabled.

With regards to the installer, make sure everything is working as it should be before he leaves.

Newsgroups, I dont use them, so cant really comment. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I have tv point upstairs in main bedroom and one downstairs. So I want the wireless router to go in the spare bedroom so do they have to put another tv point in and will they charge me for this ?

I have tv point upstairs in main bedroom and one downstairs. So I want the wireless router to go in the spare bedroom so do they have to put another tv point in and will they charge me for this ?

No its all part of the installation

So they do put an extra one in but dont charge me this correct ?

Thanks

So they do put an extra one in but dont charge me this correct ?

Thanks

Yeah, thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Threads merged.

Cheers thanks for that so another extra tv point

Anyone know of the model number of the netgear wireless modem they supply

Just want to check if and how I can forward ports on this from www.portforward.com

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Another user posted these details in the previous page Irish Gunner.

The router supplied is a Netgear Model WGR614 V7.
    By default you wont need to do any port forwarding, the netgear will pass all data through. If however you did enable the firewall settings and locked down the router, there is functionality to forward ports, so don't worry, your torrents will work fine! :D

Get0fix wrote: »
    Another user posted these details in the previous page Irish Gunner.

The router supplied is a Netgear Model WGR614 V7.
    By default you wont need to do any port forwarding, the netgear will pass all data through. If however you did enable the firewall settings and locked down the router, there is functionality to forward ports, so don't worry, your torrents will work fine! :D

Sorry did not see that about router just saw model name.

Have Zonealarm so will check on portforward & settings on this

Torrents you say nah not me ;) Newsgroups now thats something...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Well no difference really. As long as your ZoneAlarm firewall is accepting data on your newsgroup port, you should be fine.
    Like I said before, the routers generally pass everything straight through, and if they don't, you will have full access to the routers web interface to make changes. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

coyote, wht do you mean by dropping of QOS?
    Your connection keeps dropping is it? The gf had the ntl aswell and got given that netgear stuff,
    terrible stuff!
    connection kept dropping, had to keep going to "repair" connection in the internet settings.
    and then the router just packed it in totally, wasn't sending out a signal at all!

Lenny wrote: »
    coyote, wht do you mean by dropping of QOS?
    Your connection keeps dropping is it? The gf had the ntl aswell and got given that netgear stuff,
    terrible stuff!
    connection kept dropping, had to keep going to "repair" connection in the internet settings.
    and then the router just packed it in totally, wasn't sending out a signal at all!

The very same happened to me when I got installed about 2 years back. I think I used the netgear for about 2 weeks and decided enough was enough and ordered a Linksys wrt54g v2.0 and have never looked back. A fantastic router with some excellent third party software available for it too.

I am on UPC 10mg package and I can manage 1.1mb d/l speeds over my wireless network, mind you I have added these to it to increase my range on it.

My brother has recently had UPC installed and he is having terrible trouble with his netgear also. Sometimes it takes an age to pick up a internet connection. If he has to carry out a reset it may take ages for him to be able to get back on line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

OK - so tech number 2 turned up today and confirmed that there was a power issue at the entrance to the estate. Basically the 'upgrade' lads are still working on the system and the main junction at the entrance to the estate where the cable comes in acts as a transmitter to the nodes on each street (apparently!).

It seems the 'power' issue is that the TX is wound up too high. Currently my UPC status shows a Transmit level of 61.0 dBmV, and it needs to be below 55 dBmV before I can get my 20mb bandwidth, or so I'm told.

The 'upgrade' lads are going to have a look at the estate tomorrow and tweak the settings on the distribution hub... so hopefully that will get me the full whack of bandwidth and maybe even sort out my QoS issues.

The saga continues...

One more question

When UPC install the BB and have to create a new tv point as I dont want to plug in router to existing points

Do they have to run wires from the existing tv point to the new one ?

Have 2 tv Points one downstairs and one upstairs but dont want wires going all over the floor ?

So will I be tripping over the wires ?

Got it installed this morning and getting the below speeds

295241905.png

Is this normal thought it was 20mb?

Do not supply wireless adapter even though I asked them on the phone and the said they would. They put in new pont for BB although the installer was a grumpy little so and so when I asked him to do this

Also bloody phone has to be plugged into another box not the phone line did not know this? Router is Netgear WG 614 have not checked about ports yet

Got it installed this morning and getting the below speeds

295241905.png

Is this normal thought it was 20mb?

Do not supply wireless adapter even though I asked them on the phone and the said they would. They put in new pont for BB although the installer was a grumpy little so and so when I asked him to do this

Also bloody phone has to be plugged into another box not the phone line did not know this? Router is Netgear WG 614 have not checked about ports yet

Download this file for a couple of mins and let us know your transfer rate.

Transfering at 1.7-2.0 mb/sec took 6 mins

Anywhere between 2mb and 2.2mb is what you should be getting. Yours speeds are just about right so.

Cheers thanks for that

Forwarded ports and there are no incoming connections on utorrent when I checked it said it was not open?

Getting crap speeds as a test couple of peers so maybe no seeds?

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks for that

Forwarded ports and there are no incoming connections on utorrent when I checked it said it was not open?

Getting crap speeds as a test couple of peers so maybe no seeds?

Pm me and I'll talk you through your settings for utorrent if you like. Is it a private tracker you are trying to connect to. I use a couple of private site and I have no problems getting connectability using utorrent.

Cheers will do

One more problem have laptop with built in card so thats connecting ok. However have desktop in attic with adapter. Keyed in password on the settings but cannot connect to the net

Dont know how I cannot connect keep getting page cannot be displayed

Ok got the BB working just have to figure out opening ports etc

Question about the phone. Its plugged into Modem/ Router and old number not ported yet
    Modem is in back bedroom and have other phone in main bedroom, both handsfree.

Have a tv point in main bedroom so can I hook up exisiting phone to this ? Also to keep the phone working I have to leave the modem on all the time?

Hindsight should have known that I could not put it on phone socket but did not think I would have to leave the modem when we are not in for the phone to work?

also using ZA pro but still port I forward to still not open

Are UPC DNS servers 89.101.160.4 & 89.101.160.5 as use these when setting up static IP address

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

the phone works through the modem so it has to be left on and they are the dns they use

guil07 wrote: »
    the phone works through the modem so it has to be left on and they are the dns they use
    Bugger that have to move other phone from main bedroom and then get up when it rings:D

Have gone into the router settings and forward it to port 55641 and this seems to be working finger crossed

Logged back out and now on utorrent its saying the port is not open ?
    Dont need to reset anything and if so what and how ?

Also can change the password for the router set in how do you change login from admin?

make sure that ya dont hit the reset button on the back of the modem or the whole lot will have ot be reconfigured

One problem fixed and another one created:mad:

Desktop pc I got to work yesterday but now?? Have wireless ieee 802.11g adapter

I can see the icon in bottom left screen saying its connected but when I click on firefox or IE getting connection intererupted The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading

I have the card set as network authentication as WPA PSK and the date Encryption as TKIP

Asks me for passphase which I enter and also SSID is set up to Ntl Wireless34

I can scan for networks and it connects just cannot get onto Net ?

Turned off firewall and still no joy ?

Anyone any ideas ?

try uninstall the dongle, worked for me yesterday

guil07 wrote: »
    try uninstall the dongle, worked for me yesterday

Sorry whats dongle ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Sorry whats dongle ?

He means your USB wireless adapter.