Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on UPC broadband service and installation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers only thought that after I posted :o

Seem to have done the trick as logged off and back in and it worked

Lets hope this is the end of my thread

Thanks to everyone for their input and help

• I'm currently with Eircom 2mb wireless and considering UPC. I'm just worried about what will happen with the installation. The box that Chorus installed for TV is in a room that my mum likes to keep in pristine condition :rolleyes:. What will the technician need to do? I'm going for the wireless router. Will installation be very messy?

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

They will install an additional socket in whatever room you want (within reason). The cabling will be done externally so no interference with decor etc. The modem connects to the newly installed tv socket, the wireless router connects to the modem. No reason for any mess.

• Both the modem and the wireless router need to be plugged into power sockets yes? That's mess for me mate....wires going from them all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Threads merged.

• Advertisement

• Can anyone give me any more detailed information on the installation process? Do both the modem and router need to be plugged in or does one run off the other? I have analogue TV from them at the moment....does the cabling run of this? Thanks for any enlightenment!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Can anyone give me any more detailed information on the installation process? Do both the modem and router need to be plugged in or does one run off the other? I have analogue TV from them at the moment....does the cabling run of this? Thanks for any enlightenment!

Yes both are seperate and need to plugged in seperately also. They may run in a new cable direct from outside if your signal levels are down, however if they are ok, they will just you a splitter on you existing point and run one cable to your tv and the other to your BB modem.

Well seems to be back working ok was last night

Not BB related but is UPC installation

Have This phone and want to get this so that I can keep one phone beside the modem and another in main bedroom

Anyone know if you these handsets can be added on ?

Also now have 2 phone numbers Utv and UPC keeping old number UTV. So if I do add these phones and then synch them up can I receive & make calls and what number will be charged or do I just synch them take line from Eircom socket and its Upc and if I leave it in UTV. Obviously when number is ported wont matter ?

Finally off topic are uk phones compatible in Ireland? seen a few on ebay Here
    just dont know if it will work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Finally off topic are uk phones compatible in Ireland?

Not out-the-box they're not. You need to replace the BT-plug cable with an RJ11 cable. Cost a fiver maybe, from most electrical stores (or PC World maybe?) Or, get a BT-plug to RJ11 (US style) adapter. If you buy a phone from Argos they are UK models with BT-plug, but Argos give you a BT-plug to RJ11 adapter included.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

I have 3 NTL points in the house. Does anyone know if the broadband comes into the house through the 3 points? If it doesn't do you have to pay NTL to come back out and redo the installation?

• Advertisement

Nothing but trouble since installation. Keeps on going down all the time have rang them every day since

Only today was told there is noise on the line and that it maybe next week before this is cleared as they are only upgrading in our area

I said that I will keep on ringing until its fixed and that I want a credit to my account as this is bloody crazy

Just get about 3 mins on line before it drops again:mad:

Yet when I connect directly to the router its no problem but UPC I require wireless is it that difficult :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I've got more or less the same issue since they installed; and every time I ring I'm told there is a 10 day 'grace' period to fix the issue ... which runs out tomorrow.

Needless to say I'm not exactly hopeful they will get their crap sorted by then, but on the bright side I did rip the billing section a new one and they credited me every day since the install, and will continue to do so until the sodding thing is working as advertised.

I suggest everyone with the same issue here does the same :)

Nothing but trouble since installation. Keeps on going down all the time have rang them every day since

Only today was told there is noise on the line and that it maybe next week before this is cleared as they are only upgrading in our area

I said that I will keep on ringing until its fixed and that I want a credit to my account as this is bloody crazy

Just get about 3 mins on line before it drops again:mad:

Yet when I connect directly to the router its no problem but UPC I require wireless is it that difficult :(

I dont think UPC can do a whole lot for you if everything is fine coming direct from the modem. Out of curiousity, have you tried a different router.

Have not tried a different router

They are admitting that there is noise on the line? Was working ok for about 2-3 hours on both laptop and desktop for first few days but recently has been constantly not been able to connect and when it does it falls down soon after??

Still have BT voyager from utv have not tried that may just see. No updated firmware for netgear router

Will try and see if I can hook this up but its just pi**ing me of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Still have BT voyager from utv have not tried that may just see..

Is this an ADSL modem router? If so, it's no good for cable broadband.

benifa wrote: »
    Is this an ADSL modem router? If so, it's no good for cable broadband.

Yep it is
    http://www.voyager.bt.com/wireless_devices/voyager_2100/product_info.htm

Are netgear routers really that bad? Dont want to fork out for another router and have the netgear sitting around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Phat

Yep it is
    http://www.voyager.bt.com/wireless_devices/voyager_2100/product_info.htm

Are netgear routers really that bad? Dont want to fork out for another router and have the netgear sitting around

netgear router and adapter are useless, change to linksys or belkin. more reliable and save u hassle!
    UPC bb isn't that bad for speeds and value for money, there will always be issues. i hate that netgear setup, swapped mine for a belkin router and hasn't dropped since!!

Phat wrote: »
    netgear router and adapter are useless, change to linksys or belkin. more reliable and save u hassle!
    UPC bb isn't that bad for speeds and value for money, there will always be issues. i hate that netgear setup, swapped mine for a belkin router and hasn't dropped since!!

Dont want to fork out on another router. Is Netgear really that bad and is this the only router that UPC supply ?

So anyone want to swap?

Dont want to fork out on another router. Is Netgear really that bad and is this the only router that UPC supply ?

So anyone want to swap?

You will be doing well looking for someone to take that off your hands, I think I have 3 of those netgears here gathering dust.

Is resetting it a bad idea ? If so would there be much to change other than the port forwarding ?

What router would you recommend and were to get a new one

Saw a few on Komplett but mad diff in price for some of them and whats the diff between one that is 54mbps to one that is 108mbps other than price ?

Also what are good brands

• Advertisement

Hooked up modem to laptop and getting speeds of 19000kbs then using wireless netgear router I am getting 3200kbps

Rang them up and they said looks like faulty router

Any way I can check as they may be sending me out new one or would I be better of getting a belkin and if so were is the best place to get one ?

Wireless on laptop getting good speeds but not on desktop ? Only one floor between the 2 ? Could it be something to do with wireless adapter plugged into desktop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I rang that shower of useless gits again today (since they still haven't fixed my issues) and they hit me with the 'noise on the line' thing.

I've tested a direct connect from the cable modem to the PC rather than going through the netgear router and all that did was drop the speed down to approx 4.5mb... so no joy there then.

Latest is they 'plan' to fix things next Monday, but I've heard that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Snickit

The switch..
    I'v looked about for these answers but non seem to be there. Well, kinda.
    The switch seems like a no brainer considering the price, delays with eircom etc. However, I'v read mixed reports on their throttling of torrents? Is it true they have removed such efforts? This would be a huge turn off (It's all legal, I swear.) But does switching Broadband to them mean any thing must be done with Eircom? switching numbers, line rental or anything? I assume not since a) UPC is cable b) I would still be getting Phone with Eircom so line rental is still there. So is it a simple case of ordering UPC and cancelling Eircom BB? BTW The plan is to get the 20meg Ultra in Leixlip. I already have NTL Digital

Examples of 2 different speeds I am getting

Laptop
    298194242.png

Desktop
    298140258.png

What can cause the massive drop is it the wireless key adapter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If you want reliable fast speeds, use ethernet instead of wifi. Wifi can have trouble with anything over a couple of mbit in the wrong conditions and depending on the hardware used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Snickit

Anyone willing to shed some light for me?:o Would love to order tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Snickit wrote: »
    The switch..
    I'v looked about for these answers but non seem to be there. Well, kinda.
    The switch seems like a no brainer considering the price, delays with eircom etc. However, I'v read mixed reports on their throttling of torrents? Is it true they have removed such efforts? This would be a huge turn off (It's all legal, I swear.) But does switching Broadband to them mean any thing must be done with Eircom? switching numbers, line rental or anything? I assume not since a) UPC is cable b) I would still be getting Phone with Eircom so line rental is still there. So is it a simple case of ordering UPC and cancelling Eircom BB? BTW The plan is to get the 20meg Ultra in Leixlip. I already have NTL Digital

AFAIK there is no throttling of torrents. E.g., for patches such as Warcraft, you can happily get a few hundred kB/sec, same for other generic torrent applications (e.g., Azureus Vuze for movie clips and songs). Unlikely that you would ever see 1MB/sec+ on BT anyway.

If you have a UPC box already installed, you can just call them and ask to change to whatever package you like. They will send an engineer (usually subcontracted) to set it up, takes only a few minutes but it's to ensure it all works well.

The two services you will have: Ericom ADSL over phone line and UPC broadband over cable are totally unrelated and you would probably cancel the Eircom BB as soon as your UPC BB is connected.

The speed is phenomenal. You can usually get 1-1.5MB/sec download speeds from game demo sites. Maxing out the 20Mbit connection is harder than it seemed probably limited by server bandwidth more than anything else. Also, I have had no downtime from UPC in a year - the service is significantly improved since UPC took over (UPC being a huge multinational part of Liberty Global, the largest cable provider in europe, probably has something to do with it, seeing as NTL basically sucked, as did Chorus in my experience).

Moriarty wrote: »
    If you want reliable fast speeds, use ethernet instead of wifi. Wifi can have trouble with anything over a couple of mbit in the wrong conditions and depending on the hardware used.

I would if I could Pc in one place and modem somewhere else dont want to drill more holes putting another cable there

Will disable the wifi connection on the laptop and put in adapter and see then if is the adapter issue thats causing the drop in speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I just upgraded. This is what I'm getting through my netgear wifi router. Dublin 8 area.

298832303.png

Happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

I have ordered my new products from UPC, and am expecting installation on the 29th.

Will keep you posted on how the install goes. I'm also getting the netgear router

Advertisement