Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provisional license holders...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭suimhneas

it is going to be extremely interesting to see how many lives are saved by this new rule. think it would be a way better idea to supply every driver in the country with the traffic watch number, then if you see an idiot driving, ring the number they patch you through to the closest barracks and they come and deal with the said idiot. Im sure people would not think twice about report dangerous driving, but who do you call? truth is they are not bothered about saving lives if they were they could come up with something better than this. And yes im a full license holder, i just don’t believe there is a just cause or any statistics to back up the fat that learner drivers are the problem on the road. i know one 19 year old, got his license (full) on a Tuesday, by Sunday night he had the car and his 3 passengers wrapped around a telegraph pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why is it that when any reasonable measure is introduced that there is this whataboutery which points out there are also other problems on the roads. Of course there are bad drivers, bad roads and any number of things. None of this changes the fact that it is entirely reasonable that a driver should do a test before being allowed drive unaccompanied on the road. This is routine in any number of countries, which suggests that it is an important thing to do. This country has an entire generation of drivers who have no respect for rules, except when it suits them and a range of apologists who use spurious arguments about things like bad driving by qualified drivers to support them.

so armacha when you were leaning to drive did you ever drive without the fully licenced passenger? see in some places in this country there is no alternative but to drive, no busses, no trains, no taxi are the permit holders meant to bring their mother/father to work with them every day and then get them to come back and get them again in the evening, bring them on their dates with them, only date fully licenced drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Do you think it's fair to other drivers to have the SRR backup in 3 lanes by a person hogging the overtaking lane doing 80kph ?
    Of course it's not fair but many aspects of motoring are not fair. A good driver will accept that he/she will meet a great deal of unfairness on the roads. That's not an excuse to act illegally.
    And hasn't it been illegal to drive unaccompanied on a 2nd provisional since last year when these proposals were first announced. Its only that its being enforced by the Gardai from today ? (BTW, you're required to be suervised on all Learner Permits)
    The requirement to be accompanied on a 2nd Provisional Licence and 2nd Learner Permit in category B commenced today.

so armacha when you were leaning to drive did you ever drive without the fully licenced passenger?

Of course not, what sort of chancer do you think I am?
    see in some places in this country there is no alternative but to drive, no busses, no trains, no taxi are the permit holders meant to bring their mother/father to work with them every day and then get them to come back and get them again in the evening, bring them on their dates with them, only date fully licenced drivers?

All lawbreaking is justified on the basis of benefit to the law breaker. I was only speeding as I was late for work, I only parked here to go into the shop for a minute, I couldn't afford my insurance as I had spent all my money on drink .....

Not everyone owns a car and they get to work. Get your licence before getting the job or get a lift.

An how pray tell these "people" that dont have cars and get to work how do they get to their jobs? Call the boss and ask him to come pick them up? Love to live in your ideal little world. must be charming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

suimhneas wrote: »
    An how pray tell these "people" that dont have cars and get to work how do they get to their jobs? Call the boss and ask him to come pick them up? Love to live in your ideal little world. must be charming

Public transport, just like anyone else that doesn't have a car gets to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

MYOB wrote: »
    Public transport, just like anyone else that doesn't have a car gets to work.

Public transport is all well and good when its available to you...

ah but as i mentioned earlier we dont all live in areas where we have the mystical public transport you speak of, imagine if you will parts or this country other than the city, there are such places you know, no busses, no taxi, no train and no airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can you get a job that requires a degree while still in secondary school with 'ah I'll get a degree later'? No. Don't see why you should get a job that requires you to drive there without a driving licence, then. Prerequisites are prerequisites.

ah but as i mentioned earlier we dont all live in areas where we have the mystical public transport you speak of, imagine if you will parts or this country other than the city, there are such places you know, no busses, no taxi, no train and no airport.

Do you suppose that someone in Sweden, France, Wales or even Fermanagh, living in a rural area, feels that they can just drive off unlicenced because public transport is not good in those parts?

Get a lift. People, especially in the younger age groups have always got to work without cars.

i have my full licence, but that does not mean that i cannot see where people have a massive problem with these new rules, as for having a degree when in secondry school comment what ever that has to do with the price i fish i have no idea, but it probably sound highly intelligent in your degree filled head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

greatgoal wrote: »
    listen,its here and it will be enforced to the full

lol

oh and sorry but i dont mean that the public transport is not up to scratch, i mean it doesn't exist at all. and a walk 3/4 miles minimum to work is not all its cracked up to be. Get a job that you dont have to drive too brilliant, except where the hell do you get one of those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Well its starts today all Permit Holders and Provisional Drivers need to display L Plates and have a fully licenced accompanied driver with them.

I wonder will the unemployment rate rise now???????

Some people dont have a full accompanied driver 24/7 or public transport.

The waiting times for the driving tests should be between 2 to 4 weeks

What the idiot full licensed drivers that drive reckless???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

suimhneas wrote: »
    i have my full licence, but that does not mean that i cannot see where people have a massive problem with these new rules, as for having a degree when in secondry school comment what ever that has to do with the price i fish i have no idea, but it probably sound highly intelligent in your degree filled head.

His point on the degree is that you don't work in a trade that explicitly requires a degree/trade qualification on the assumption of maybe getting a degree later, sitting tests in a few weeks or heaven forbid, a provisional degree :)

dont worry the full licenced drivers are the next ones on the firing range, there won't be anyone else to blame after these new rules come in, will see some of the righteous quivver then. Bring it on I say
    As for the Degree thing again, strange as it may seem plenty people work in the sector that dont have degrees they are competent enough to do the job and are given the job on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hmmm.

I see a couple of options,.

1) punting this over to Learning to Drive where I am pretty sure they are sick to the teeth of threads like this and so I probably won't.

2) closing it - a very attractive option to me

3) waiting an hour to see if anyone has anything incisive and original to say despite the fact that the thread is circular and going nowhere and shows no indication that it will be anything other than circular and going nowhere.

dont worry the full licenced drivers are the next ones on the firing range, Bring it on I say

Me too.
    Some people dont have a full accompanied driver 24/7

You don't need to learn to drive 24/7.
    The waiting times for the driving tests should be between 2 to 4 weeks

No doubt, but even if this is not the case it does not justify lawbreaking.
    What the idiot full licensed drivers that drive reckless???????

and this is relevant to this thread in what way exactly?
    (Given my previous comment about whataboutery)

I'd just close the thread. It is made up of people justifying breaking a perfectly reasonable law when it suits you, arguing with other people who think that you shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

murphaph wrote: »
    She obviously improved. The test is very basic.....which makes one worry that so many people manage to fail it.

Many people fail the test at least once due to nerves. I know I did.

I remember my instructor being amazed when I failed mine as he told me I was easily his most competent student at the time, but I was shaking with nerves going in to do my test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

ardmacha wrote: »
    This country has an entire generation of drivers who have no respect for rules, except when it suits them and a range of apologists who use spurious arguments about things like bad driving by qualified drivers to support them.

There is also thousands of drivers who recieved there full license in the post never having completed any sort of a test, this may be quiet a number of years ago when this happened but should they not be taken of the road seeing as though they have never even sat a driving test and are still driving?

There is also thousands of drivers who recieved there full license in the post never having completed any sort of a test, this may be quiet a number of years ago when this happened but should they not be taken of the road seeing as though they have never even sat a driving test and are still driving?

Perhaps they should. Why not start a thread about that? It has nothing to do with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

What do people who dont have public transport options available do to get around before they are old enough to drive/have a car. The walk/cycle get a lift to public transport! So why should it be different for people who havenot got a full licence?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Guards out in Galway just now checking licences ( and tax and insurance)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement