Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deck lights, what sort?

Options
  • 28-06-2008 5:35pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads/Girls

We are doing a deck now in next few weeks, DIY of course :D

Now we have a cable out the back, which is wired to a switched in the sun room which is for the deck lights but most of the deck light solutions seem to be ones you wire into a plug.

Can anyone tell me the setup for this please, is it a transformer I need which that cable is connected to and then each deck light wired back? I will have a fair few lights, maybe 20 in total.
    So on this site, can you point me towards a solution please.

http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/twilight-66-42mm-blue-led-add-on-light-p-7372.html?rn=16

Thanks very much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i recently put lighting into my own garden and i chose to install gu-10 fittings. the reason i chose these cause i found i had more options as regards the lighting with them. if you install led fittings they are a sealed unit and once the led goes you have to replace the whole unit, which might not be for some time as they do last a considerable lenght of time which could make it harder to get a direct replacement.
    with the gu-10 fitting you have a wider choice of types of light that you can have just by changing the bulb......for instance you could have
    led type.....various colours including colour changing
    cfl type which are energy eficient to a certain degree
    standard gu-10 which also come in differant colours

also look into marker lights, most ppl go for standard uplighting deck lights that throw the light straight up and waste it where as marker lights light up more of the ground around them and they only stick up about 3/4 of an inch above the decking.

we have sold a good few of the kits you mention and im not impressed with them. they have bulky transformers and the leads that come with them usually are very light , easily damaged and not long enough to allow you to put the light where you want them.
    if one of the light goes you have to take up the decking to get to it.
    if you install good mains lighting and one of the fittings goes or breaks you just replace the fitting at its junction to the main feed which would be usually directly underneath it.

we have sold a good few of the kits you speak of and i wouldnt be that impressed with them, they have bulky tram

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for the reply.

So on that website above is there a kit which you would recommend?
    Do you work for a company who supplies deck lighting? If so what sort of kit would you recommend? What sort of prices?

Thanks again

on that website ied recomend the following http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/ground-240v-50w-round-buried-light-p-7108.html ......but without seeing how there terminated or there quality ied buy locally.

but its up to yourself and im sure others would recomend differant types also.
    i just found the gu-10 easiest to wire as there are no transformers like with the kits or the low voltage stuff, and if the bulb goes you just have to replace it , not the whole fitting like you would with led.

i work for an electrical wholesaler here in dublin but the only place i could recomend in the west is cliffords in sligo i dont know or deal with anyone else up that part of the country. we could send fittings down to you but if there the wrong type or not what your looking for it could become hassle for both partys.
    if your doin this yourself water profing is essential in the junction boxes or anywhere where there is a joint. i used ip rated boxes and a type of liquid kit that you mix up and poor into the box where the joint is, it then sets like jelly and is waterproof enough to be submersed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks again. So them lights there are daisy chained and wired directly to the mains feed using a transformer then?

What prices do you do them lights for? I need maybe 20 lights or so. Cost me a fortune at that price :(

no there is no transformer, they are mains lights. you just daisey chain them directly off the feed from your switch. ill find out a price and get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

no there is no transformer, they are mains lights. you just daisey chain them directly off the feed from your switch. ill find out a price and get back to you.

I am in the same boat as the OP here... was going to go the led way... but this gu10 fitting looks a lot easier (no transformers etc.)

But, feck me... £49 stg per fitting? there has to be cheaper out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

try these ones :
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-12-LOW-VOLTAGE-WIRED-DECK-LIGHTS-LED-GARDEN-DECKING_W0QQitemZ220253721428QQihZ012QQcategoryZ101417QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

I got 12 of them from this seller and they work a treat. They come in sets of 4 that plug straight to the mains.I just got a weatherproof electricity box and wired 2xdouble sockets from a feed to an outside light thats on the gable of the house, then I screwed it to one of the decking support joists. now when I switch on the wall lights from the kitchen the decking lights come on too. There should be more than enough cable in the kit for the area of your decking.I think he also sells sets of 8 and 16.

IS that the same buyer Kingaaa? Looks good. Did you need a transformer?

So you took the mains into the waterproof box (what price are these?)
    Then you took a socket off that mains and put it into the weatherproof box.

Then feed the 12 lights off that?

Is that the setup?

Would these be any good?
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/BRAND-NEW-20-x-SOLAR-DECKING-LIGHTS-LED-GARDEN-DECK_W0QQitemZ220253228410QQihZ012QQcategoryZ101417QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

yop wrote: »
    IS that the same buyer Kingaaa? Looks good. Did you need a transformer?

So you took the mains into the waterproof box (what price are these?)
    Then you took a socket off that mains and put it into the weatherproof box.

Then feed the 12 lights off that?

Is that the setup?

Would these be any good?
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/BRAND-NEW-20-x-SOLAR-DECKING-LIGHTS-LED-GARDEN-DECK_W0QQitemZ220253228410QQihZ012QQcategoryZ101417QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For each set of 4 lights there is one plug, and the plug has a built-in transformer.They throw off great light, they're cheap and very easy to install. As for the waterproof box, they are only 10 or 15 euros, and you easily fit 4 sockets into it.

Legend lad, thanks very much.

• Advertisement

BTW, I got the correct sized hole saw for these in B&Q for about €12

LOL, dont over do the help now, your only boasting now ;)

Advertisement