Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US-EU Private Details Negotations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Do you want to comment on it? You know, since it's in the forum charter that you must supply an opinion when you start a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Well, I have an overwhelming sense of foreboding reading the contents of that news article. For me it represents the consolidation of the power of American copyright industries over an empire of European citizens.

But, not having the legal background to substantiate that sense of foreboding, I was hoping a discussion on the issue here would elucidate some of the finer implications of the story.

I was also wondering if anyone had heard so much as a mention of this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Other than the internet browsing habits side which I think are private, it seems pretty normal. I think sharing records among countries is a good idea. I wish our own government was as careful about who they let into the country and being able to check histories would be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Hadn;t heard of this, don;t like it, thanks for bringing it up.

I'd prefer not to have my details datamined thank you very much, or at the very least for it to happen with my consent. I'm no lawyer, but 'appropriate safeguards' looks wide open to interpretation.

The inability to seek redress in US Courts also biases me against it...'administrative procedures' for violations, with negligable oversight? No thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Bah,

This has already happened, since 2002 American companies have stored personal details on their Irish employess in 'Safe Harbours' in the US. If you work for a US company in Ireland this is already the case. It was guaranteed that this information could never be gotten directly by the US courts and the information would have to be petitioned through the Irish courts in any event.

However .. then the PATRIOT act came along and nullified all of that ... so .. yes .. its rubbish... but already there, albeit not for private individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

European officials may have an easier time securing its approval now, before the European Union completes proposed changes. Member nations now ratify such accords, but the changes would hand ratification power to the European Parliament, which has been skeptical of American antiterrorism policies. The report says Europeans intended to wait until 2009 after the planned completion of the reforms to finish it. But the changes are now facing likely delay after Irish voters rejected them in a referendum this month.

ha ha ha ha...:pac: buala bus for Ireland's left-wing rabidly anti-EU fruitcakes

Advertisement