Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandwich costs.

Options
  • 28-06-2008 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Just had to write a post on this as i think the cost of sanwiches in the likes of spar and centra and the like is getting way out of control.Today i felt a little peckish and decided to drop into a spar shop in north dublin and got a filled roll with the usual ham cheese lettuce onion.Not even thinking about it i bought a couple of other items and was on my way.Anyway upon opening my sandwich i noticed the cost was €4.90 for it which i thought was absolutely scandolous.Had i stopped for a second in the shop and looked at the cost there is no way i would of bought it.Anyway im just letting off a bit of steam but couldnt believe it anyone else think this is just more rip off for consumers.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

€4.90 for a sandwich? that's a bit mad, allright. thing is, especially in the city centre, theres gonna be a demand for sandwiches and stuff from people in work, and if there's a demand for it, shops are gonna make you Pay. with all the sandwhich places around though you'd think some kind of price war would break out and us hungry folk would benefit with tasty and cheap food. that doesn't seem likely tho :/ i have to say i don't mind paying that much if a) i can afford to and b) it's one hell of a sammich. but yer bog standard calad/cheese whatever, sod off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

when all the shops are charging the same ridiculasly high price for a roll they are quite happy to not compete as their money is made from selling fewer rolls and they all make a healthy profiy on the backs of poor workers and shoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its also very annoying it certain spars/eurospars when you get the exact same roll or sandwich that they charge you a different price and its not done on weight! €3.90, €4.00, €4.40 and €4.70 all in the exact same shop and same fillings like WTF

Not sure where they get 60cent for cheese either

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭dublad23

I find the large rolls do come somewhere between €4.00 - €4.70

I bought a smaller roll the other day in the same spar (about 3/4 of your standard roll)

Got the same toppings - Chicken Mayo, Stuffing and Cheese.

And it only cost me €1.70

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I agree, they are tidiculous all right. I got a plain cheese sandwich in college two years ago for 5e. Seems to be the standard too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I got some pesto chicken sandwich in eurospar near work last week-6.45!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

I recently got one of those tiny soup rolls (a small roll as they called it) with ham and egg. The feckin price was €4.10, and that was right as it said "small filled roll" on the label.
    I am embarrassed to say, but I hid it behind the milk and bought a double decker and a bag of tayto waffles instead.
    I'm even more embarrassed to say that I would do the same thing again if I got smacked with a price like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Centra on Parnell st beside the ambassador do sandwiches for 1.85 and rolls for 2.10 (lovely too). I would never pay over that for a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Most of those sandwich people are so far up themselves thinking that they have created a 5 star gourmet delight by slapping something between a couple of slices of bread, or stuffing something into a bap. It's a helluva mark-up on anything over 2 or 3 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The shops will charge what people are prepared to pay and are entitled to do so. If consumers won't pay that price then the shop will either drop the price or the product. It really is a case of vote with your feet or bring a packed lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Definitely make your own. You'll save money, you won't forget to put the jalapenos in, and you give yourself more time on your lunch. The only annoying part is the 10 minutes it takes to make them (or less). I do it while making my dinner the evening before.

Most sandwiches or rolls (especially the prepacked variety) coming out the likes of Tesco, Centra etc are the type of tasteless tripe you'd expect to find in Ryanair's bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Last time I bought a roll in centra/spar (can't remember which one) I was charged 5.10 for a roll with chicken, egg mayo, cheese and lettuce. Never again.

Thing is, a footlong meatball in subway cost 6.10 and there's about twice as much eating as there is in a sapr roll. Thats where I get my snacks from these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I used to go to a place beside us called Berman & Wallace which was grand but they kept upping their prices. It eventually got to 6.50 or so for a wrap with 2 fillings. I now just go down to Applegreen and get chicken fillet rolls with 3 fillings for 4.45 and I can live with that price.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I used to go to a place beside us called Berman & Wallace which was grand but they kept upping their prices. It eventually got to 6.50 or so for a wrap with 2 fillings.
    They're expensive - but not that expensive. I was just there today and got a Club sambo for e5.75 - but it was a very nice club sandwich. Their other sandwiches are all less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Davei141 wrote: »
    Centra on Parnell st beside the ambassador do sandwiches for 1.85 and rolls for 2.10 (lovely too). I would never pay over that for a sandwich.

They must be doing that years now. I remember the massive but quick moving queues. I liked the idea, sell loads so you know the stuff should be fresh, they were very efficient when I used to go there. Dunnes etc are doing similar ideas too now.

My centra has a salad bar, I can get ~300-400g of chicken or roast beef (no salads!) for about €3.50, it is self service so I just cram it all in a tub. That would cost a fortune in a deli, then get a sliced pan and bring in mayo etc in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

ixoy wrote: »
    They're expensive - but not that expensive. I was just there today and got a Club sambo for e5.75 - but it was a very nice club sandwich. Their other sandwiches are all less than that.

Thats a sandwich. 5.75 for a club sandwich is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

bugler wrote: »
    Definitely make your own. You'll save money, you won't forget to put the jalapenos in, and you give yourself more time on your lunch. The only annoying part is the 10 minutes it takes to make them (or less). I do it while making my dinner the evening before.

I save myself from being annoyed by bringing the ingredients into work and making the sandwich there. Monday morning I take a trip into Lidl or Aldi on the way to work, and stock up on bread, cheese, meat, etc. It usually costs ~€10 for the week's worth of lunches. Started a trend here so that now at least 5 others are doing it. But then we do have a large fridge and space for making stuff...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thats a sandwich. 5.75 for a club sandwich is insane.
    Yep, but I was hungry. The cheapest I can find nearby is a sandwich for about 3e.
    B&W meals are far better value though - about 5.99e would get you a hot chilli meal for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Centra on D'olier St today - one hot chicken fillet baguette with grated cheese - €3.50. Thought that was very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Decided to go with the make my own lunch option after a quick maths excercise today.Have worked in the same place for almost eight years and made lunch less than ten times so imagine the cost it runs into a couple of thousand euro say at €6 a day.Can think of better things to use that money on so from tomorow im a new man :). Maybe my mife will make it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Went into Dunnes today to get my usual sandwich (Roast Beef, Egg Mayo and Onion) that I've been getting for months for 3.49€.

Got charged €4.49 this morning, thats a 1€ increase in the space of two days!

Their reason? New suppliers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Marks & Spencers are expensive for many things but their sandwiches are pretty reasonable.
    Salmon sandwich is €2 or €2.20 afaik.

They're lovely too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Great little place on George's Street across from Capitol bar called "Snax in the City". Sandwich for €2.85 and a roll for €3.30. I tend to get Ham, chicken & cheese and have never been charged for the extra meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Went into Dunnes today to get my usual sandwich (Roast Beef, Egg Mayo and Onion) that I've been getting for months for 3.49€.

Got charged €4.49 this morning, thats a 1€ increase in the space of two days!

Their reason? New suppliers!

i found dunnes have been increasing a lot of prices lately probably so they can introduce "Sterling Savings" now that the price bubble has burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

there's a cafe in the irish life centre that does takeaway sandwichs starting at 3 euro and they are massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Centra in Ballymun charge 5.00 for a hot chicken baguette with egg mayo.

And the same for chicken lettuce and tomato. I thought they came on it as standard.

They charge 1 euro for any extras, like one time i asked for 3 small chunks of tomato, yes just 3, and charged me 1 euro extra, it want even a full slice of tomato the way it was cut into small chunks like onions.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i found dunnes have been increasing a lot of prices lately probably so they can introduce "Sterling Savings" now that the price bubble has burst.

Have you a few examples ?

Advertisement