Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident damage on my trade-in- help!

Options
  • 28-06-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Closed a deal on a new car yesterday :)

Unfortunately, had a car-park tip today with my current car (just my luck, won't go into that for now!). My bumper is scratched/badly scuffed - a couple of hundreds quid worth of damage IMO. However I've handed over a deposit & signed the order form etc. So I'm pretty vulnerable to the dealer screwing me for the repair damage on the p/x unless I halt the deal (cancel cheque/re-negeotiate etc. ). Not sure of the best way forward:

- do I get the work done myself? (I'm thinking not)
    - do I get a quote from a body repair head before going to the dealer (seems the only sensible option. Very feckin' busy at the moment though - pain in the arse)
    - if the worst came to the worst do I get my deposit back if I'm not happy to go ahead with the deal?

Any advice or tips from similar experience appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Approach the dealer 1st thing Monday morning with the trade in car and show him the damage, if he makes a big deal out of it cancel the cheque and get the car repaired locally and trade in elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PBB

in my experience, the dealer will not rip you off and may even pass on trade prices to you.... As above if they don't do the decent thing cancel the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

if its only a scrape its a cheap enough fix, if the metals pushed in, forget about it.... most likely cheaper to replace the bumper...

best of luck anyways !

Hold no prisoners when dealing with the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

If its just a few scrapes on the front bumper expect to pay about €200
    - €300 for a respray and fitting of bumper.

Id advise to get a few quotes from garages, then approach the dealer about your deal.

usually many garages have on site body shops and so can fix cars up cheaply...

• Advertisement
Advertisement