Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel particulate emissions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

JHMEG wrote: »
    I'm surprised you think it would be clean, based on replies like this:

"If however somebody were to hang out the back to collect a sample while I was driving up a hill at full turbo boost, they wouldn't need a tissue, but a bucket"

I've yet to see a diesel that doesn't put out plumes of smoke on WOT, and letting off WOT, as per the above replies.

Lol.

- I never said clean, I said not black.
    - You dont know what WOT means or you think diesels redline at 2k rpm
    - The replies, if you read them, said under load (driving) + WOT + uphill = smoke. More smoke from older cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The replies, if you read them, said under load (driving) + WOT + uphill = smoke. More smoke from older cars.
    One reply actually said that. The rest is based on my experience of seeing diesels in action. Old or new.

WOT applies to petrols. You can be pedantic about it, but you know what I mean, I think. Otoh, WOT has nothing to do with redlines... do you know what WOT means?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

JHMEG wrote: »
    One reply actually said that. The rest is based on my experience of seeing diesels in action. Old or new.

WOT applies to petrols. You can be pedantic about it, but you know what I mean, I think. Otoh, WOT has nothing to do with redlines... do you know what WOT means?

It isnt as mysterious as you like to allude.
    "In the case of an automobile, WOT is when the accelerator is depressed fully."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Open_Throttle

To get to and hold 2krpm, one wouldnt depress the accelerator fully now would you.

I tried the 2k rpm + tissue test stationary, there was absolutely zero visable soot on the tissue or coming from the exhaust. I could only hold it about 4seconds (due to exhaust heat burning my hands) as there is only so much personal injury Ill tolerate for the sake of argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

To be fair to modern diesels now ...my yoke is purely mechanical. No clever sensors and computer programmes to optimise everything, more turbo boost means more fuel, regardless if it's actually needed or not.
    So, modern diesels are a lot more efficient plus most of them do have filters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Matt Simis wrote: »
    It isnt as mysterious as you like to allude.
    "In the case of an automobile, WOT is when the accelerator is depressed fully."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Open_Throttle

To get to and hold 2krpm, one wouldnt depress the accelerator fully now would you.

I tried the 2k rpm + tissue test stationary, there was absolutely zero visable soot on the tissue or coming from the exhaust. I could only hold it about 4seconds (due to exhaust heat burning my hands) as there is only so much personal injury Ill tolerate for the sake of argument.

WOT = wide open throttle, often taken to mean foot to the floor, but it literally means the throttle is wide open. BUT, petrol engines have throttles, diesel engines don't. It's not clear from your posts whether you know that or not about diesels, tho I suspect not.

Of course one wouldn't depress the accelerator fully to maintain an engine speed of 2000 rpm in normal circumstances. However one can depress the acceleator fully in a high enough gear and achieve "WOT" at 2000 rpm, and depending on the load and gear even maintain it.

Now, that's me done with this thread. It's turning into a silly game of semantics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement