Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what sort of beans should I get

Options
  • 28-06-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

hey, got a baby dose today, just wondering what type of beans are best with this, also any good shops around dublin that sell em? Are espresso varieties of coffee different to other beans or is it down to how you ground it? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

what kind of grinder have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

none yet but will probably get the ibirital mc2 , or gaggia mdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I see, make sure you do, because the pre-ground stuff isn't going to hold a candle to doing it on demand yourself.

Anyway, to beans. To answer your question there are some beans or blends of beans that are suitable for espresso, there are some beans that are suited to filter, and there are some that are great for both. Some high acidity coffee will produce an espresso that tastes distinctly of lemon. I've never come across anyone who likes this (I certainly don't).

Initially you will be best off going with something that's defined as an espresso blend. Probably one of the handiest to come across is the Java Republic Monkey Espresso blend. They sell in Superquinn and (maybe) Tescos. The roast date is on the bag. Ideally you'll get some roasted as near to the current date as possible. 1 week ago would be amazing, but you're unlikely to find them that fresh, 2-3 weeks would still be great. 1-2 months not great but probably the ones you will most likely come across. Will still beat the pants off the tins of Illy beans on the freshness front.

ok cool thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

If you buy the java republic online it tends to only be 2 weeks or so after the roasting date when it arrives so the stock is pretty fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Bewleys in Grafton St. And Blackrock have fresh beans too and a good selection. I like their Espresso Beans and my favourite is the French Roast. I'm trying some of their Guatemalan Antigua fair trade at the moment and its similar in taste to the cuban beans. Nice, but just doesn't do it for me.

Cheers
    Howard

Thanks Howard will look into it, they're all suitable for an espresso machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, any bean is suitable for an espresso machine. It's the grind that's important.

great, cant wait to get started :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

In Bewleys or anywhere else that sells beans they'll grind them for you too. If you've no grinder yet, then get them to grind up the beans and split the results over a few bags.

I went through so much coffee when I got started that I was actually sick from it!

Cheerio

• Advertisement
Advertisement