Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raising a table

Options
  • 28-06-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

hey folks,

looking for some ideas, I have bought a new (old) french working table, which I plan to use as a kitchen table.

the issue is, it only has 20.5 inches or clearance under the drawers, this makes sitting at it impossible. I want to raise it 3.5 inches to 24 inches (clearance of my current table) and i am looking for ideas on how to raise it.

my only thought so far is to add casters to the bottom of the four legs, which I think should look great. would I be able to get casters this big? any other ideas?

thanks for your time.

dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

dave_eire wrote: »
    hey folks,

looking for some ideas, I have bought a new (old) french working table, which I plan to use as a kitchen table.

the issue is, it only has 20.5 inches or clearance under the drawers, this makes sitting at it impossible. I want to raise it 3.5 inches to 24 inches (clearance of my current table) and i am looking for ideas on how to raise it.

my only thought so far is to add casters to the bottom of the four legs, which I think should look great. would I be able to get casters this big? any other ideas?

thanks for your time.

dave

Lots of firms make caster that big and much bigger (I've used them in engineering up to 18 inch wheel diameter, and you can find them up to nearly 3 feet diameter!). DIY stores like Homebase have ones the size you want, or alternatively you could try an engineer's suppliers -- they will also have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭dave_eire

Thanks ART6,

Would the type of casters you are refering to not look a bit industrial? I was hopig for something in keeping with the look of the table (which of course, you have not seen!)

And, I am not married to the idea of casters, still investigating my options!

thanks,

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

dave_eire wrote: »
    Thanks ART6,

Would the type of casters you are refering to not look a bit industrial? I was hopig for something in keeping with the look of the table (which of course, you have not seen!)

And, I am not married to the idea of casters, still investigating my options!

thanks,

D

Hi Dave. I would think that any casters of the size you would need would look very industrial. I have several catalogues of casters, but none of them are particularly ornamental. Probably the reason is that at those sizes it's only industrial applications that buy them. I don't know what the answer to that is, other than perhaps finding a wood turner or carpenter locally who could make up leg extensions for your table. That, however, would mean not just matching the wood, but if the table is fairly old, it could mean also attempting to match the aged colour.

If you want to PM me more details of the table I'd be happy to take a look and see if any good ideas occur!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe it would help to give an idea of what the existing legs are like, i.e. dimensions, round vs. square, straight vs. curved etc. also what kind of wood. Your options will depend a bit on what you've got to work with. Large, robust 'rustic' legs will be easier to find a solution for than some elegant curved leg. It might also be an idea to post your question (complete with above info) over on the Woodcraft forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭dave_eire

hi folks,

thanks for the replies.

the legs are simple and square, I am now thinking of making (or having made) a set of trianglur 'pods' for the legs to sit in. these will look really obvious but won't ruin the table and might look good?!?

ill try get some photos up, and if/ when I get it done, ill update.

thanks again!

d

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

What about adding a brass doorstop to the bottom of the leg?

Something like these....
    http://www.brassdoorstop.com/index.html

Advertisement