Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to work

Options
  • 28-06-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking to start cycling to work now that the law is in for the 2nd provisional for driving cars etc....I have my test in August so I will need to cycle and anyway was something I was always thinking of doing..

So, I have two options....get a folding bike, cycle it to the bus stop and then from the bus stop in town to work...or getting a decent road/commuter bike and just cycle all the way....I live in Northwood, Santry and work in the IFSC...so porbably around 4/5 miles....

Does anyone have any recommendations on either type of bike or opinions, buy online or not etc..?....I could spend around 600 euro...

Plus I have another question for those who have to wear shirts to work...what do you do in that case when carrying them to work without getting it creased..? We have showers in our work but no lockers that we can keep clothes in, so will have to take a change of clothes...thanks!

Easy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Easy Rider wrote: »
    So, I have two options....get a folding bike, cycle it to the bus stop and then from the bus stop in town to work...or getting a decent road/commuter bike and just cycle all the way....I live in Northwood, Santry and work in the IFSC...so porbably around 4/5 miles....Easy
    Go by bike all the way. Get some easy-care shirts from M&S and bring them plus socks & jocks into the office once a week in a back-pack.

I think your best route might be down the Malahide Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Studoc

Hi All,

I am looking to start cycling to work now that the law is in for the 2nd provisional for driving cars etc....I have my test in August so I will need to cycle and anyway was something I was always thinking of doing..

So, I have two options....get a folding bike, cycle it to the bus stop and then from the bus stop in town to work...or getting a decent road/commuter bike and just cycle all the way....I live in Northwood, Santry and work in the IFSC...so porbably around 4/5 miles....

Does anyone have any recommendations on either type of bike or opinions, buy online or not etc..?....I could spend around 600 euro...

Plus I have another question for those who have to wear shirts to work...what do you do in that case when carrying them to work without getting it creased..? We have showers in our work but no lockers that we can keep clothes in, so will have to take a change of clothes...thanks!

Easy

I have a similar commute but in the opposite direction. For 600 you should be able to get a pretty decent road bike, make sure you get a good lock though! I use the New York something or another, it's about 80 euro and pretty heavy but well worth the cost (bike has'nt been swiped yet!). Plus something cheaper to wrap around the wheels.

Re shirt creasing, a good back pack or panniers and a carefully folded shirt should minimise creasing. Marks and Spencer do shirts that don't require ironing and not surprisingly they travel better. Since you're going downhill in the morning you may not sweat that much and might not actually require a change of clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

+1 with the M&S shirts.

If you are lucky enough to have showers, definately wear cycling gear and shower at work. Carry your stuff ideally on a rack/panniers, it is the most comfortable. We don't have lockers either but I just leave my stuff on a bench in the shower room, don't know if this would be an option for you. Bring clothes in for the week on Monday.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Studoc wrote: »
    Re shirt creasing, a good back pack or panniers and a carefully folded shirt should minimise creasing. Marks and Spencer do shirts that don't require ironing and not surprisingly they travel better. Since you're going downhill in the morning you may not sweat that much and might not actually require a change of clothes.
    A well folded shirt will survive ok in a decent pannier (that is, waterproof) and a rucksack insert from somewhere like the great outdoors (sort of a zip-up small suitcasy thing, of perforated cloth) helps keep it folded and away from all the other stuff in the pannier (Alien II, pump, spare tube, first-aid kit, overshoes, rain coat,....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

rp wrote: »
    A well folded shirt will survive ok in a decent pannier (that is, waterproof) and a rucksack insert from somewhere like the great outdoors (sort of a zip-up small suitcasy thing, of perforated cloth) helps keep it folded and away from all the other stuff in the pannier (Alien II, pump, spare tube, first-aid kit, overshoes, rain coat,....)

nice work if you can get it:D seriously though, I'm interested in this question too. I've often ironed a shirt carefully only for it to be crumpled when I get to work. Also, do brookes make shoes? (for work, not cycling)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Thanks for the reply so far....not mad on the M&S non-iron shirts....don't like the fit or the material on me....but I will look into the bags I could carry with me...

So any suggestions on what type of bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Lightweight with Catorskin tyres fitted. You will get a very good secondhand bike for that money. For rack and panniers its hard to beat Argos for value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I use regular shirts and a pannier.... it's fine provided you put it at the top and don't pack too tight...

I suggest the road bike. Come down through Santry village, Whitehall on N1, down Gairdener St. and you're there. Home is a bit more effort though ;)

Major +1 on the M&S shirts :D

I'm thinking of getting a hybrid at this stage...if I was to buy second hand where is the best place to look, gumtree? Adverts etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

The cycling will give you a sense of all-round situational awareness on the road and an instinct for forward-planning your road position. I think you'll find it a great help in passing your test.

Good luck with the cycling and the test.

Thanks, yeah I amagine it would too.... but cycling is always something I did when younger and never used a car, so I don't see why I can't do it now....the up-hill cycle home will also mean I won't have to go to the gym so much either, get my work out done before getting home, instead of getting home in my car, then heading to the gym...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

oobydooby wrote: »
    I've often ironed a shirt carefully only for it to be crumpled when I get to work.
    Crazy idea - bring a travel iron into work.
    As someone who works in always casual IT, I have no idea of what shirt/suit wearers have to put up with but thought I'd throw out that outside-the-box suggestion.

Well they have this 'Carbon' campaign going on in work to bring down the amount of waste in the place etc and education of such things....yet they hardly take into the account of the amount of people driving to work and don't supply, in my opinion, good enough facilities for Cyclists, fair enough a shower is fine...but no lockers etc is annoying....

Maybe I could campaign for an iron and board to be put in work, but they probably would not allow it due to 'health and safety' - sure they don't even let us use kettles in work to make your own tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I pretty much have to carry everything every day. No lockers, nowhere to leave a towel. Well I could leave one in the shower room, but what do you do if you arrive in one day and it's been swiped!

Shirts tend to work OK for me. Iron it before I leave, then fold it up into a smallish square, probably around 6 inches square - with the collar at the top. This then sits at the top of my bag. It's not dry-cleaner ironed when I stick it on, but it's fine. Really depends on your job I guess. If I wore a full suit, I'd probably leave my suit jacket in work and have 3/4 pairs of the same pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I drive in 1 day a week and bring in undies, four shirts & a pair of trousers to cover the rest of the week. They are all hanging on the back of my office door, which isn't pretty, but it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, if I had an office... :)

I drive in 1 day a week and bring in undies, four shirts & a pair of trousers to cover the rest of the week. They are all hanging on the back of my office door, which isn't pretty, but it works for me.

Yeah, can't drive tho' I'm on a provisional and have my car sitting in the basement car park waiting for my test....I will probably get a bike this weekend in town, probably go to Cycleways, I know their is another place on camden street, has to be city centre...any other places I'm not thinking of?

Plus I don't have an office unfortunately.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I bring a sports bag in once a week with a supply of clothes. I just leave it in a bookcase. I find a well folded shirt is good enough to stay uncreased. But I don't wear suits etc. A locker and somewhere to dry wet gear would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

any other places I'm not thinking of?

Sean Duff's in Omni Park S.C. since your in Santry.

They've been selling bicycles in Dublin since 1912.

If you go into the car park they're to the right of the main entrance.

Speak to Frank, I've bought all my bikes for the last twenty year's from him and he's never sold me a bad one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Easy Rider wrote:
    ...any other places I'm not thinking of?

Make sure to haggle! They mightn't come down in price but there's loads of extras that they could throw in - lights, mudguard, pump, tubes, tyres etc. Most bike shops will do some sort of deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I cycle Swords to the IFSC about four days a week and go through Santry on my way in. It's a piece of cake. From Santry I go:
    Past Omni, turn right on the bridge that over the N1 and cycle onto the N1 heading to the Whitehall junction. Down the Swords Road past Regency Hotel all the way through to Drumcondra and left onto Clonliffe Road and right at the next lights bringing you past Croker and left onto North Circular Road. Onto Sheffif St and Seville Street (I think) and right at the pedestrian lights at the corner shop. You're in the IFSC.

I leave a few pairs of trousers in work and bring a shirt, jocks and socks with me on a bag on my back. Shower and change and either leave my bag in the shower room or bring it to my desk.

Mairt wrote: »
    Sean Duff's in Omni Park S.C. since your in Santry.

They've been selling bicycles in Dublin since 1912.

If you go into the car park they're to the right of the main entrance.

Speak to Frank, I've bought all my bikes for the last twenty year's from him and he's never sold me a bad one yet.

I bought my last bike off them...years back....but I have been told they may be overpriced on some bikes....not saying it is true but just something someone said....

Yeah, I will haggle alright, get something to cover the full costs....

I bought my last bike off them...years back....but I have been told they may be overpriced on some bikes....not saying it is true but just something someone said....

Yeah, I will haggle alright, get something to cover the full costs....

I've just bought a new bike from them, like most shops the profit margins on the bikes are pretty tight on the shop but I got a 50% discount on everything else I bought from him.

Since your within walking distance from the shop it wouldn't do any harm to do in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Any advice I would have given is already in this thread.

But this thread and its origin is yet another example of why we need a Bike to Work scheme in this country (recession or not!)

Good luck OP, you'll never look back (even when you get your licence).

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_241881_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_124468_crumb_33980-33957-124465_parentcategoryrn_124468

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=20954

http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/37027/08-Sirrus-Comp-61/

Okay well I am going bike shopping this weekend, will be looking and getting advise from various stores I go to but have been looking online at the above three, the Boardman, Specialized and the Giant......

Boardman Performance Urban Comp: The reviews I have seen are positive, but halfords don't get great reviews....also it is at the top of my price range and the disc brakes are not meant to be too hot....

Giant R2 - Cheaper, I could go for the 599 euro version R1, but are the tyres on both not wider, should I be looking at 28ce etc? The cheaper R2 would give me more money to work with for extra's etc...plus the disc brakes, not sure if they are positve or negative...

Specialized 08 Sirrus 47 (basic) - Again just on my max price range....but not sure if they are any better than the ones above or am I paying more for a name here?

Soooo, anyone have any ideas on other options or better deals I could get, i.e. going cheaper and saving money for extra's etc.

Thanks...

Disc brakes would generally be a positive in that their performance does not degrade in the wet, but rim brakes are perfectly adaquate on the road. I wouldn't pay extra for discs.

All look like good bikes, the Giant is maybe a bit more MTB-oriented than the other two and mightn't be quite as fast but might be marginal. Arguably better value than the Sirrus though.

You can swap tyres easily enough. The Boardman and Sirrus are 700x28, the Giant is 700x32 (wider.)

Boardman gives you the best bang per buck but setup and after-sales tuning etc. is likely to be better from Cyclesuperstore or Cycleways.

Yes, agree the Giant does look more MTB...Boardman does look good......but Halfords...I would get it in coolock if I was to get one...are they any good....

I will probably head into cycleways, the one on Wexford street and the shop on the liffey to get a better idea....

Definately best try them all out, you'll probably find one fits you better than the others and feels better overall. That will make your decision a lot easier! If you are unfamiliar with basic bike maintenance Halfords might be a bit of a crapshoot all right. I have heard rumours that the more professional bike mechanics work Mon-Fri so better not to buy at the weekend (you are better off buying during the week at any bike shop though, they are quieter and will have more time to devote to setting up your bike properly.)

• Advertisement

At the risk of sounding like I'm plugging Sean Duffy's in Omni S.C. but they'll allow you to take the bike for a test ride.

I must have broke their hearts testing bikes for two hours before deciding on mine.

Of course your not obliged to buy, but it might give you a better idea of what will suit you best.

Advertisement