Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Any decent bike shop will let you do this. They may want to get a pre-authorisation on a credit card first if they don't know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

wear a tshirt under your shirt to stop it getting sweaty or, i've found if you kinda roll your shirt lighty and sit it on top of the stuff in your bag it survives rather well without creasing. try the jeff banks shirts in debenhams if ya don't like m&s ones-good quality, nice fit and most dont crease badly.

+1 on a road bike too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Cannondale seem to do some decent hybrids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Well I went into town and also went to Duffs in Santry....I had a look at the Giant FCR 3, Specailized Sirus and a Ridgeback Flight T1....

I do like the FCR 3 but the handlebars are very wide, the specialized was good if not fairly basic...finally I also had a look at the Ridgeback Flight T1 which was at cycleogical...sooo prices:

FCR 3 in Duffs in Santry : 550 Euro, mudguards free, 15% of all accessories...
    Specialized in Cycleways..: 599 Euro and 10% off all accessories...
    Ridgeback in Cycleogical: 610 euro, 15 % off all accessories....

I felt the Ridgeback to be overpriced, seemed like a nice bike and had the narrow handlebars I was really looking for...... I could also buy off www.mcconveycycles.com, which would work at cheaper, I could even push out and get a specialized elite, or an FCR 2 or 2.5....or if I went with the FCR save some money also.....

Has anyone ever bought off these guys? Does the bike come pretty much set-up minus some parts like peddles and handlebar?

I went to halfords and they did not have the Boardmans at all....so I think I will just go with the FCR 2 or Sirrus Elite....but I am unsure about ordering online as I don't know how it comes, i.e. pre-built or not...I will give them a ring tomorrow but has anyone dealt with McConveys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Which Halfords? I saw them in Liffey Valley. Blanch have hardly any bikes at the moment.

It was in Coolock...not a great selection of flat bars at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

The handlebars on the FCR are ridiculously wide, too wide for cycling in traffic.
    Should be no problem to just take a couple of inches off each side and just slide the grips in. It's only a five minute job. The bike shop should be able do it for you. I wouldnt let it put you off buying the bike

They sure are...strange that they built them like that as I can see many people being put off by it..thinking of getting the Sirrus Elite at this stage.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I had no issues with the width of mine, think they were only around 4cm wider than my drops, so around 46cm or so.

• Advertisement

Okay, well I have phoned the guys in McConveys and they said that the essentials would be left on the bike and the handlebars would be turned, brakes and peddles may be removed...which is the norm for deliveries as far as I can see.....

So FCR 2 or Sirrus Elite..................? Hmmmmm

My Sirrus Elite bars were also ridiculously wide, don't know if they have changed this :) As Harpz said though, it is an easy job to make them smaller.

Wider bars generally make the steering a bit easier and less "skittish", they are not without benefit.

You recommend the sirrus elite?

Definately, it's a great bike. Try both out though and see which you prefer, the Specialized might be a bit over-priced TBH.

EDIT: If you are buying online (not sure I would recommend if it is your first bike) I'd also consider the Focus Arriba
    Corrente - Focus are very nice bikes (half of Boards has one) and very good value.

Well, I am thinking of buying online, I can save +150 Euro on most of my choices....however I may head up to cyclesuperstore,as I believe they are open late tomorrow, to see if I do pay the extra can I get some stuff thrown in....and maybe get the handlebars sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

I have recently built a bike that came in a box and i found it quite easy to be honest
    if you can save 25% of the price id definately consider buying it online
    its up to whether or not your comfortable doing it but 150+ euro off of a 500 or 600 euro bike is a lot

delllat wrote: »
    I have recently built a bike that came in a box and i found it quite easy to be honest
    if you can save 25% of the price id definately consider buying it online
    its up to whether or not your comfortable doing it but 150+ euro off of a 500 or 600 euro bike is a lot

Where did you buy it from? Was it just handle bars peddles and brakes, do you know what tools I might need?

Well I got myself a FCR 2.5 in cycle superstore....590.....Now all I need to do is buy he bits and bobs, pump, spares, wet gear etc..looking forward to get going now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Well I got myself a FCR 2.5 in cycle superstore....590.....Now all I need to do is buy he bits and bobs, pump, spares, wet gear etc..looking forward to get going now

Hey weldone, I was going for the FCR 2.5 but my last bike was a hybrid so I really wanted something different. But it was a close call.

Your out my way, if you decide on going for a spin some evening drop me a PM and we'll hook up if you fancy.

Just getting my fitness back in some kind of shape & done 40kms today so I'm still every bit the novice compared to the guys on here.

Weldone again, and happy biking.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Don17

What about lapierre bikes, they seem to have a few nice ones in the same range as the giant FCR?
    Any opinions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Just picked myself up a Giant FCR1 (second hand not that you'd know, it is immaculate! Guy bought it last year and has only ridden it a handful of times). Got a great deal on it :D Going to start cycling to work myself very soon, once my lock, lights and gear arrives.

Don17 wrote: »
    What about lapierre bikes, they seem to have a few nice ones in the same range as the giant FCR?
    Any opinions

Well Cycle superstore are the suppliers of the bikes in Ireland I think, the guy did try sell one to me, but I felt they have been told to push to bikes more....anyway the price range is fairly different, you are looking at 475 euro for the basic one then all of a sudden 745 or something for the next one up....it looked like a good bike and probably is, but the price jump is too much in my opinion to compete with Giant, bring the one that cost 745 euro down and then it could compete with FCR 2.5 well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I have a Lapierre RCR 500 and I love it. Really nice ride, decent components plus i found the service in cyclesuperstore to be top notch.

If you're worried about the Lapierre brand don't be.
    Decide which is the best fit for you - Giant or lapierre - and go for it.

Yeah agree, I tried both as for size I am in between the M and L for Giant, so they extended the handlebars out for me on the Giant and it fielt good, but the Lapierre had slightly different sizes so one could be more comfortable for you than the other but could be the other way around for someone else...

Advertisement