Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transaction void with laser card and now missing 40 euros

Options
  • 28-06-2008 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I spent 40 euros today in a shop. I was in the 1 shop and that was it. I was told that the transaction didn't go through. Got a receipt with void. I tried it again but was told it didn't work. Got no receipt the 2nd time with void. It worked the 3rd time.
    I have just been on to the internet banking and checking my balance and im missing 40 euros. The transactions for the day isn't up yet so i don't know what happened. But im guessing its the problem i had with the transaction being void.

What do i do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

Visit your branch on Monday morning, they should be able to order the paperwork and look at it for you (be warned it can take several weeks). Who knows a credit might hit your account over the coming days.

Depending on the size of the retailer (the smaller the better) they might be able to do something for you but in all likliehood they will refer you to the card issuer (your bank)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Your account on the show balances screen is missing €40 but there's nothing showing up when you view your transaction list.

You say the sale went through fine the 3rd time.

This all seems fine to me. You're not down anything then? Just the usualy delay for a successful Laser transaction to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lisajane wrote: »
    I spent 40 euros today in a shop. I was in the 1 shop and that was it. I was told that the transaction didn't go through. Got a receipt with void. I tried it again but was told it didn't work. Got no receipt the 2nd time with void. It worked the 3rd time.
    I have just been on to the internet banking and checking my balance and im missing 40 euros. The transactions for the day isn't up yet so i don't know what happened. But im guessing its the problem i had with the transaction being void.

What do i do?

You might have two seperate "issues" here.

Firstly (or lastly) your last (the vaild one) transaction was authorised, so your balance is reduce by the amount of the transaction. The transaction will appear in your online banking in due course, it can take 2/3 days. This is normal.

If the third transaction was €40 and your balance is down €40 then all is fine.

It is also possible that the two earlier voided transactions were actualy authorised by your bank, but the auth did not reach the store, so your balance could have been reduce by a further 40x2 euros.

When this happends the balance will be restored in 48 hours or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

random wrote: »
    Your account on the show balances screen is missing €40 but there's nothing showing up when you view your transaction list.

You say the sale went through fine the 3rd time.

This all seems fine to me. You're not down anything then? Just the usualy delay for a successful Laser transaction to show up.

I am down 40 euros extra. ie i payed 80 euros for something that was worth 40 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Ring the internet banking to talk to someone ,explain your situation and at least they will have a record of it then.
    Sometimes bogey transactions take a couple of days to get refunded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Banks have a legal regulation to resolve this matter in 10 working days. Either you get a refund or not. Contact your bank and start the process.

If it does take several weeks then report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They wont do anything till it is confirmed in the statement. Normally when its gone from the balance is where they authorised the transaction then up to the retailer to accept it then confirmed taken from your account.

Wait till its confirmed and if its wrong, print out the transaction list, then take it with your receipt to the retailer and they can do a refund. I have done this before with laser transactions without problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lisajane wrote: »
    I am down 40 euros extra. ie i payed 80 euros for something that was worth 40 euros.

The one of the voided transactions you mentioned very actually authorised by your bank, but the auth never got to the POS machine.

The shadow will disappear in 2 or 3 worknig days, and your balance restore. This happens cause the POS has 48 hours to present the transaction and they have to wait to see if it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I ordered a statement from the bank regarding this issue. According to the statement the transaction went through once. I got the bank to check to make sure.

Anyway i know im missing an extra 40 euro and this is the only thing i can think of. I was only in the 1 shop so i couldn't have been wandering in and out of shops where it would have been easy to misplace 40 euro.

Could one of the void transactions be authorised by the bank but not show up on my statement??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

So its still missing from the balance online, buy no mention of it on the statement? You don't have a worry then, means their was a request but it wasnt fulfilled

• Advertisement
Advertisement