Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another what car should I buy thread.

Options
  • 28-06-2008 10:28pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys.
    Have about 5 grand to 6 grand to spare, just moved to Galway (roundabout hell) and looking to pick up a new car. Hoping to hear a few opinions about what I should buy.
    Looking for something in a hot hatch or similar small saloon. I'm drawn to Astras around the 00 to 02. Would love the 1.6l but they are rare enough and I'm a little unsure about the reliability factor with honestjohn being not too happy with it. Anyone any opinions?

I just want a good drivers car and heard they are among the best in that range. I test drove one or two and have to say I like the feel. Would love to try out a similar year alfa, but I actually have to rely on the car from time to time and dont fancy looking good waiting to be towed on the motorway. Was also thinking of a ford focus, but the looks turn me off it. Anyone know any more guy-friendly models?
    Not really interested in a Corolla or Civic because the drive in the Corolla is very spongey to me, (Not knocking it, it adds to the comfort factor and those cars are tanks, just not for me) the Civic, just dont like the style of the drive. I want the mixture of comfort and feeling the road and a bit of acceleration.
    Anyone any thoughts?
    Older Beemers?
    MGs?
    Hit me from leftfield. Im going pearshaped I have spent so many weeks on carzone and test drove a few ridiculous goddamn options.
    Shopping on the internet for cars is so much more fun when you are just looking for things you plan to buy when you win the lotto.
    I didnt win the 18 million by the way.
    Hence this post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

How about an Audi A3? That or the old reliable, Golf? The two hatchbacks I'm immediately drawn to... BMW do a nice one too, can't remember the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

that spongey drive in the corolla can be easily rectified.

Things like lowering springs make a total transformation to the handling...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Like the A3 but a bit more of a school run car than a modestly muscly drive like the astra.
    The Golf.... Drove on my mom's 05 funnily enough, for the past three weeks.
    Nice enough. A bit naaahhh though. You know. Common as arseholes.
    Also, why not just buy the skoda for the badge of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

5 or 6 grand would buy you a decent Golf or Focus, both are good all rounders, reliable etc. They get my vote.

Yeah but the Corolla is such a farmer car. I get your point, but if I was going to buy a corolla, dang, it would have to be upped to an older levin or treuno and I can't really justify that in terms of the insurance and running costs. Though I have heard that treunos and levins can be insured as a corolla. Havent really looked into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

The levins and trueno's are often insured as corolla levins, sprinter levins, sprinter trueno's etc. Just make sure you mention the code of the levin e.g BZR, BZG or XZ

As for there running costs they are not as extreme as you think. if driving conserveately they can average mid 30's mpg.

With your budget of €6k you should expect a good clean 97 / 98 model. Its a buyers market at the moment cos the markets flooded with them

The other factor I neglected to mention is that the current car is about to pack up and I am gonna have to move on this in the next week after so much faffing about picking different cars that I have completely lost all ability to make a decisive decision.
    So nobody has any opinions, positive or negative about the ole astra?
    The Trueno or Levin are nice options, but that will be car number three. Want to have about 12 grand to spend on one I think, and that will be a few years yet.

EDIT decisive decision? What a bell-end thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 conmack

What about a Toyota Cynos. They're fab

co. itus would have been a better location choice than co. laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sir wanted to be hit from left field, yes?

901264_20080123050141_2.jpg
    if you can stretch to 2 liter

1097767_20080612010651_3.jpg

1084766_20080603050613_2.jpg
    this looks like a hoot, don't know how much the VRT would be

1106188_20080618080617_1.jpg
    yeah, I know ...FIAT ...nice looking car though

and the next one is about as left as the field goes :D
    CB4_1088309_2_424513.jpg

All of the above are just examples and not necessarily the best researched specimen
    (klick the pic to see the ad)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

citreon xzara is the best performing car for that money... 00-02 models for 2-3000 euro ( VTS 20 ) or 1500-2.5 for the vtr ( 1.4/1.6 ) best handling car ever but doubtful reliability... regular servicing and there grand

the newer corollas are great ol' cars, quiet heavy but still nippy due to vvti but still a safe bet imo.... cant go wrong but they do depreciate quite alot over there life span.

e30 or the e36 tech upgrade ( 86-92 ) are ideal from the 3 serise range though the 5 serise has been very consistant when it comes to style, performance and relyablity.

Even further afeild....

the new swifts are brill, i personally love them as there simple, easy Yet low maintenance cars.... honestly the best hot hatch - shopping trolly's money can buy...black with the black wheels is the ideal purchase as resale wouldn't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Regarding Astra i think its quite good car, and as far as i know it is reliable.
    But i heard people saying that they do suffer from head gasket failures approximately after 60 k mls.

Thanks guys. Stuck it down to an astra, a focus, or a VW passat.
    I think any of those in a 1.6 would be good.

@Peasant thanks for the other options! I can see your carzone addiction is worse than mine. Shocked by the spec on that seat! Loved the saab and all. Now how to find something in Galway. And soon. Otherwise my girlfriend will dump me or kill me for talking about it so much.

Advertisement