Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & Worst thing's

Options
  • 28-06-2008 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so we are parent's now :eek::eek: - I still cant believe it sometimes, as I feel like a kid myself a lot of the time...

Sometime's I find it really scary that I am responsible for 2 little humans who rely on me & himself for absolutely everything...

Best things:

The morning cuddle..
    When they fall or are hurt (inside or out) I am the one they run to for comfort
    The unconditional love that is felt, that cant be explained..
    The bond you have with them that is actually out of this world

Worst things:
    Spontaneity, remember when you felt like going for a pint and you just went:rolleyes:
    Lie on's:confused:
    Having a party...
    Going shopping and hearing a constant Mam, mam, Mam, Mam, Mam, 60 million times...Forget it..

Am I alone here?? Am I am bad mom :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Not a bad mommy by any means..

Things I love:

When he climbs into the bed every night without fail for a snuggle

When I say to him "I love you" he says "I love you more"..a.So I say "No I love you more" and he says "I love you faster" :)

When he hurts himself and comes running to me, and only I will do :)

When im sitting on the sofa and he climbs on my knee for a cuddle...infrequent now, but when he does it it makes it soo special

When he says I am his best friend (he usually wants something here tho:pac:)

When we read "Hug" book and everytime the mommy monkey hugs bobo he looks at me and then hugs me:) (he has been nicknames bobo fo the last two years)

The amazing unconditional love I feel for him, takes my breath away every single day...sometimes when I get a rush of love for him I get a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes..mad!!

Oh and when he makes me necklaces and bracelets in school out of string and pasta shapes.

Things I hate:

Him going off a certain type of food for months on end, me freezing batches of dinners for him and him deciding that he doesnt want them any more

Sometime the constant Mammy, mammy mammy mammy when I just want to sit down for a coffee for a minute and he wants to play shops . easier to wait til he goes to bed for your coffee than not have it in peace

Not being able to go shopping anmore without rails of clothes being dragged as we walk past

The way he runs off in shops and hides between rails and Im running around like a madwomen looking for him whilst he is giggling away to himself

When I went back to work after maternity, the mammy guilt kicked in, as well as the feeling of inadequecy as a mother.

The "loves" outweigh the cons every single time tho..wouldnt change it all for the worldd..(except the word mammy, mammy, mammy" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Excellently put Lady E, A lot of stuff I forgot which you mentioned...

Ah, but we couldn't be without them eh :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Ive had a new baby 4 months ago the pros ;waking up in the morning and seeing him smile at me.When i pick him up he holds on for dear life.How i could hold him foe hours and not do a pick of housework.When my 12 yr old ds picks him up cause he cries the way he kisses him when he thinks no one is looking.Cons;Dirty nappies ,not being able to shop,sore nipples ,leaking nipples.The older boys always fighting but writing this has made me realise i wouldnt change a thing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lolalane

The best things
    Deffinatly when they become cuddle monsters in the morning and decide to cuddle me untill I get up.
    Tell me I am the bestest mom in the world
    seeing them be kind to other children
    Eldest (4) telling me when he grows up he will bring me to the grave yard but will build a house beside his for his younger brother to look after him (it made my heart break)

The worst things
    Boggies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Excellently put Lady E, A lot of stuff I forgot which you mentioned...

Ah, but we couldn't be without them eh :p

Thank you.

And no, definatley couldnt live without them..be nice to them now, they look afetr us when we are old :pac::pac::pac:

Seriously, will really miss my shhnuggles when himself grows out of them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Best thing: Watching him learn and grow. It's fascinating to watch.

Worst thing: The tantrums, especially the destructive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

Best thing is the sound of children in convulsions of laughter - you know when they really laugh hard. I just love that sound. The smell of their hair when they've just had a bath, the way they love you and you love them unconditionally (although the older ones might not admit it), their funny little songs they make up (usually in the bath and usually with the word "willy" thrown in somewhere).

The worst things are lack of sleep, constant bickering between them, the expense! They are worth every penny and every sleepless night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

we have a 9 month old girl.

The pro's

I will only list a few because there are so many.

She makes my day when i get home from work each day with the biggest smile. It makes it all worthwhile. Our little one is close to walking, watching her little face so determined and proud of herself when she manages to do something like crawling or clapping. As a previous poster said watching them develop and learn new things is a joy. One thing we find is funny is that our baby is so social, both of us were quite as kids.

Cons - Serious lack of sleep. One thing we find that we have failed badly in is getting her to sleep regular at night. Lack of a social life and not been able to do anything at the spur of the moment like we used too.

In all i wouldn't change a thing. Sometimes i still cant believe that she is mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lennox1

What a lovely thread:) Enjoy every minute of the best and the worst now as,all too soon someone else will be as important(if not more for a while) in their lives as you are now.The worst you are experiencing now pales into insignificance when faced with teenage tantrums and moods and I often long for the baby in the sullen teenager to come back.At least if the baby is upset we can go through the usual checklist and something usually works.The teenager is an enigma.
    How I envy you all with your gorgeous babies,crying and all!
    Anyone care to swap for a teenager ? Please...............

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

lennox1 wrote: »
    How I envy you all with your gorgeous babies,crying and all!
    Anyone care to swap for a teenager ? Please...............

Hahaha.. Not on your nelly :p I aint looking forward to the teens at all. I remember myself as a teen. Jesus, my poor parents :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I can beat that i have a teenager and a newborn.wHEN THE TEENAGER STARTS I GO STRAIGHT FOR THE BABY and swear blind he wont be like that when he grows up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Julietta

Gorgeous thread :)

I agree with all the pro's mentioned, I sometimes look at my baby (15 month old boy) and want to cry with love for him, I only have to think of him being born in Holles St and the tears are there, I have managed to blot out the awful birth and in my head now, it was painless and full of joy :D

One of my fav pro's is that I am constantly surprised at how funny he is, we were playing at the weekend and he dropped to his knees and proceeded to walk around on his knees for a couple of minutes which was funny enough in itself but he then dropped all the way to the floor and did a "caterpillar" along the floor, clearly something he picked up in creche but it was the funniest thing I have seen in ages.

Con's.......I didn't know it would be such relentless hard work physically, am a single parent and cannot get my head round how hard it is sometimes :(

Advertisement