Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth a mention. UPC phone and house alarm.

Options
  • 29-06-2008 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I'm just after getting the Max bundle from UPC there about 3 days ago, im delighted with it. Tv broadband and the phone are all working grand. However its not long lived im afraid.

I went ahead and got the bundle because it was going to cost me the same (85 quid) as having eircom talktime anytime +2mb BB and UPC tv. However, I went onto the UPC site tonight to get the porting form to get my number changed over from eircom to UPC, and I found it in the customer care section of the Digtial phone area, what I also found though was a tiny little line added to the end of the first question asked 'How do I keep my existing number?' and it said,
    Please note if you are reliant on your existing phone line for your alarm, you cannot currently transfer your number to us.
    Meaning that if your house alarm depends on your phone line to ring out to the operator when your alarm goes off, you can't avail of their service, if you still want your alarm that is.

So I'm a little pissed off that there sales team never asked me that question when I was asking for the phone off them, or that it doesn't mention it a little clearer on the site.

So now I have to ring them up and cancel the phone off them, keep the eircom phone line This means I have to drop down to the Middle broadband package to get the same price as I was paying for 12mb broadband with the phone included. Which is a bit off a balls, so instead off getting 12mb for the 85, I can only get the 6mb now for 85. Eircom line rental + Talktime Anytime = 40, + UPC TV and 6mb BB = 46. Total now, 86euros.

So just I eye opener to anyone who hasn't thought of that yet, so ye dont have to go to the bother of getting it, and then getting rid of it etc etc.

Do ye know if UPC charge for downgrading?
    i'll kill em if they do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It depends on the kind of phone signalling the alarm uses:
    This can be:
    1) Internet or modem dialup (works poorly).
    2) Call and pre-recorded message or DTMF code (works perfect).
    3) Preprogrammed number for eircom landline SMS routing and then SMS message (like SMS on a DECT phone). Can't work. Comrrg needs to sort this as such an alarm (phonewatch) can ONLY EVER work on an eircom line. It won't work on a real phone line from an other operator as the SMSC number is different. The eircom Alarm units using SMS usually can't be be reprogramed for a different network. It's anti competitive.

You do realise that the Phone Dialling is of dubious value and Alarms in general are of very very limited value as a deterrent? Other more basic security procedures are more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

I would seriously take on board Watty's comment regarding the efficacity of phonewatch and indeed other burglar alarms! These bloody thing go off incessantly and there's never a cop in sight. They blare away for hours and nobody takes a blind heed.

Stick with your UPC, get the phone number ported if you wish or use the one they provide and inform your folk of the change.

Make your house more secure and perhaps invest in CCTV.

CCTV is only useful if you are actually watching it and it records at high enough quality for prosecution. There is evidence to suggest it has no deterrent and no research to prove that it is effective other than as evidence afterward (and most is too poor a quality, the Garda has brought me tapes to "enhance". Er.. there's only 9 pixels for the head.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

there is another option you can keep your eircom phone watch and upc number but you have to but some kinda of wireless thing for the phonewatch
    cost about 150 euro dont know what it is called but if you ring UPC they will tell you the name of it it might cost a lot but will make savings in the long run

It's a GSM phone module basically dedicated for the Phone Watch (so it can send SMS via GSM instead of land line).
    It must have an ongoing extra charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

cost 149euros from phonewatch at the moment.

just ordered one there as i am moving to ntl 6mb with phone package

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cost 149euros from phonewatch at the moment.
    just ordered one there as i am moving to ntl 6mb with phone package
    Sounds like a good plan. Do you know how this affects the monthly monitoring costs? i.e. do they stay the same as they were for wired phone-line?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

watty wrote: »
    It's a GSM phone module basically dedicated for the Phone Watch (so it can send SMS via GSM instead of land line).
    It must have an ongoing extra charge?

Phonewatch charge €23 per month for the monitoring service, it doesn't change if you use a GSM module or not. The only cost is the €150 installation fee (which would pay for itself in 6 months line rental).

The only reason I had a phone line installed when I moved in 4 years ago was for phonewatch and broadband (best option at the time) but now with the delays in Eircom's upgrades, I'm *very* tempted to go with NTL's 20Mb package. I just need to think about how my network topology will change by moving my broadband connection (+router and DHCP server) from where it is now to beside the TV, where I've no ethernet cable (media center uses a USB network adapter to connect to WiFi )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yakuza wrote: »
    Phonewatch charge €23 per month for the monitoring service, it doesn't change if you use a GSM module or not. The only cost is the €150 installation fee (which would pay for itself in 6 months line rental).

The only reason I had a phone line installed when I moved in 4 years ago was for phonewatch and broadband (best option at the time) but now with the delays in Eircom's upgrades, I'm *very* tempted to go with NTL's 20Mb package. I just need to think about how my network topology will change by moving my broadband connection (+router and DHCP server) from where it is now to beside the TV, where I've no ethernet cable (media center uses a USB network adapter to connect to WiFi )
    Excellent. I think I shall do something similar. Can you let us know how it goes rick_fantastic?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yakuza wrote: »

If you want, NTL will install another cable point where ever you want it, within reason, just ask about it on the phone when ordering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

So I'm a little pissed off that there sales team never asked me that question when I was asking for the phone off them, or that it doesn't mention it a little clearer on the site.

I love the way people try to pass the blame onto others.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

YOU have Eircom's Phonewatch YOU should have asked the question.
    Why should UPC have to deal with an Eircom product relying on it's Network?
    You found the answer yourself so why should a sales person need to ask. They assume you've read up on a product before purchasing.
    what I also found though was a tiny little line added to the end of the first question asked 'How do I keep my existing number?' and it said,

UPC site:
    How do I keep my existing number?
    If you would like to transfer your existing phone number to us then you must complete this form and provide a copy of your current bill. We will not be able to transfer your number without this. The process of transferring your existing phone number from one telephone service provider to another is called porting. Please note if you are reliant on your existing phone line for your alarm, you cannot currently transfer your number to us.

Whats tiny about the last line? It's the same size as the rest of the text.
    Seeing that it's an important fact they put in the first section about keeping your number. Did they hide it away down the bottom of the page...no.

IMO you only have yourself to blame I'm afraid.

BTW, UPC do charge a downgrade fee which you'll find on the "latest price changes" link on the main page.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rob_T

I currently have BT and I also have Phonewatch. I take it I have to keep the BT landline and can't dump them for a UPC bundle if I want Phonewatch to work? Also can anybody tell me what is the name of the local Exchange in Deansgrange?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

Rob_T wrote: »
    I currently have BT and I also have Phonewatch. I take it I have to keep the BT landline and can't dump them for a UPC bundle if I want Phonewatch to work? Also can anybody tell me what is the name of the local Exchange in Deansgrange?

yeah you would need the gsm unit installed.

had phonewatch engineer out today. gsm unit can be installed on the panel so thats good. see ya later eirscum phoneline

on the other hand, the panel is "not supported for garda callout" so unless i pay another 200euros for a new panel, if my alarm goes off they will call keyholders but not the guards if the alarm goes off.......

im thinking of just cancelling the whole package and getting the engineer code for the system which ive been told they have to give you and getting my own panel and gsm unit installed. all i need to pay for ongoing is a bit of credit for a data enabled sim card.

dont really see the point of a monitored service for 400euros a year if i can get a dialer myself for around 450-600 euro mark. seen one online for £364

eircom are selling them so cheap so they can keep the claws in on the service contract.

Advertisement