Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM problem

Options
  • 29-06-2008 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Ok so I went ahead and got Corsair Value S. PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Unbuffered, Non-parity, 128Megx64, CL3
    It arrived today and I tried to install it. Long story short, when ever it's in it locks windows up completely after a few seconds of being on the desktop, sometimes doesn't even boot into windows.
    I have two 512mb sticks of the stuff in my sig and I thought this stuff would be compatable. I tried juggling them around in the three slots in my motherboard. Is there a certain order they should be in?
    If not then what's up? Is it the right kind of memory? Is the memory faulty?

(I realise I posted this in my other thread but figured people who might've been help overlooked it due to the title)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There should be an even number of slots in your motherboard, no?

If 4, then the 1st and 3rd should contain identical sticks as should 2nd and 4th. These are sometimes colour coded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    There should be an even number of slots in your motherboard, no?

If 4, then the 1st and 3rd should contain identical sticks as should 2nd and 4th. These are sometimes colour coded.

No, not all motherboard have 4 slots.

First thing to try (sorry didnt read your whole post incase you did this)

Remove all ram, and power on the pc. you should get a fair few beeps. Turn it off. Now install 1 dimm into the first slot closest to your cpu, does it boot? if not try the other 2. If they dont work the ram you bought is not compatible with your board. check the memory configurator on www.memoryc.ie that will tell you what you can use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

There are free bootable memory test programs like this one:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

See if that gives you any errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Anti, I did as you said. Placed the new 1gb stick in first and it booted fine. Then added one of my old 512 sticks into the second slot and again is fine. But once I added the second 512 stick into the third slot it locked up again.
    Looking at my motherboard on memoryc here it says that it can handle a max of 2gb of 400mhz ram. I would've presumed that means 2048mb right?
    Anyway, anyone got any ideas on what is causing this? Would the memory test Ok-Cancel-Apply suggested tell me anything to help?

If there's a fault with one of your DIMMs, that program will tell you for sure. All you have to do is burn the image onto a disk and boot from it. Try each of your 512MB sticks individually with the program.

• Advertisement

Well the two 512 sticks worked fine before the 1gb came along. And the 1gb + a 512 work together. It seems the problem only occurs when all three sticks are in.

Hmm, yeah well it still can't hurt to rule out faulty RAM - could be a problem that only gets aggravated with a certain configuration.

Just an update to this as I'm still at a loss. I ran memtest on all modules and the 1 gig stick failed so I RMAed it and got a replacement today.
    Ran memtest on each module again and tested each slot and ran memtest with all three modules in; it passed each time.
    However the same problem persists. If I have the three modules in together the whole system will lock up completely a minute or two after getting into windows. And its fine with any combination of two sticks.
    Any ideas anyone?

Advertisement